IGNORED

John Fashanu

Murraysrightplum

Showed a documentary from the time that Justin came out and he basically disowned him and said he wouldn't want a gay player in his team, wouldn't get changed in the same room etc. when asked about what he had said he basically said he wouldn't change it if he could go back even though that was a big part of why his brother killed himself (they read the suicide note)

I actually thought the program was pretty bad in so many ways!

Firstly: Yes, there are some issues in football – but also do they not think that some players want their private life to be private? Who’s business is it anyway? The idea of footballers coming out on Mass because “it’s ok to be gay” – I mean, how insulting – It’s nobody’s business.

Secondly: What do they/we all expect? Footballers mincing around the ground like Julian Clarey in tights and a fluffy Jumper with a handlebar moustache? Or Perhaps Doing the YMCA dance when they score a goal?

It was a topic that could have been done better, instead we had “experts” like someone’s mate being interviewed over a coffee after going shopping, followed by sensationalist remarks and nonsense….. Total Shite, except for Matt Lucas who was very open and balanced.

Yes, there are some issues in football – but also do they not think that some players want their private life to be private? Who’s business is it anyway? The idea of footballers coming out on Mass because “it’s ok to be gay” – I mean, how insulting – It’s nobody’s business.

Havent seen the programme, but this was my immediate thought after reading an article about this.

It seemed as if the presenter of the programme almost wanted to force gay footballers to come out and couldn't seem to comprehend that gay footballers might actually not want to. Also although John Fashanu was in the wrong by not offering his brother any support at the time, you have to look at it from his perspective and realise Justin was no saint in offering to sell sex stories to the press is not the best way to come out.

Really interesting doc I thought. Fair play to her for having the guts to make it on a topic that is just swept under the carpet in football. Also respect to Joey Barton for being the only PL player to give an interview, people may not like the guy, but he is actually a pretty intelligent well rounded chap off the pitch

I actually thought the program was pretty bad in so many ways!

Firstly: Yes, there are some issues in football – but also do they not think that some players want their private life to be private? Who’s business is it anyway? The idea of footballers coming out on Mass because “it’s ok to be gay” – I mean, how insulting – It’s nobody’s business.

Secondly: What do they/we all expect? Footballers mincing around the ground like Julian Clarey in tights and a fluffy Jumper with a handlebar moustache? Or Perhaps Doing the YMCA dance when they score a goal?

It was a topic that could have been done better, instead we had “experts” like someone’s mate being interviewed over a coffee after going shopping, followed by sensationalist remarks and nonsense….. Total Shite, except for Matt Lucas who was very open and balanced.

I initially had a similar thought but the interview with Gareth Thomas was quite interesting I thought. Basically he was sick of living a lie and couldn't take it any more so came out and said it was like a weight off his shoulders. Another interesting point was one guy who was talking about the lack of an openly gay footballer putting off young gay players getting into the sport, which is hardly inclusive is it? Max Clifford said the one's he spoke to were terrified of coming out because it would affect their career/potential earnings etc. that is why is is an issue IMO

Basically they shouldn't have to come out, but if they want to there should be no prejudice. A guy in my brother's rugby team came out just after Gareth Thomas and he did it in the Evening Post. Clearly he felt it was important to be honest and Gareth gave him the inspiration for that.

His daughter was pretty hot!

Most people interviewed made themselves look pretty stupid apart from Matt Lucas and Joey Barton. As for John Fashanu I don't know how he could speak of his brother like that. I know Justin did not conduct himself very well in the press but the hatred was too much and must have contributed to his suicide.

Archived