IGNORED

The White Stuff

The Casual Connoisseur

Snow forecast for Friday night, through Saturday & Sunday.

With the current sub zero temperatures set to remain, if we do get the snow as forecast, it's going to settle.

As we all know, this country doesnt deal well with snow, I'd expect some disruption on the roads, trains etc but hopefully not at Ashton Gate, although it wouldn't be huge surprise if the game was called off if the area around the ground is frozen (unsafe).

Edit: No Snow til Saturday at least!

Snow!!!! Come here. It usually starts around the first few weeks in November and stays on the ground until the begining of April.

Nothing stops here, all roads are cleared on a regular basis and all cars owners have to fit winter tyres by the end of October, by law. We have Trolley Buses, they run with no problems as do the Trains. The only thing that suffers is Football, the season here is finished well before the first snows fall.

Lets hope the bad weather stays away from Ashton Gate as I am looking forward to the team selection for the Leeds game. BY THE WAY IT 'S MINUS 12 IN TALLINN TODAY

Am I alone in thinking a call off Saturday would not be the worst thing in the world..?

Injured players will get fitter (mainly Fontaine), the loan window will open and maybe bring one or two extra bodies, we store up a home game for the run in and the teams below us such as Millwall (West Ham), Forest (Derby), Coventry (Ipswich) and Donny (Reading) all have tough games to face, which might give us an edge going into the end of the season.

Clearly, I hope we play and get a win, making everything else irrelevant, but just a thought.

Am I alone in thinking a call off Saturday would not be the worst thing in the world..?

Injured players will get fitter (mainly Fontaine), the loan window will open and maybe bring one or two extra bodies, we store up a home game for the run in and the teams below us such as Millwall (West Ham), Forest (Derby), Coventry (Ipswich) and Donny (Reading) all have tough games to face, which might give us an edge going into the end of the season.

Clearly, I hope we play and get a win, making everything else irrelevant, but just a thought.

I wouldn't mind for the reasons you have mentioned above.

Snow!!!! Come here. It usually starts around the first few weeks in November and stays on the ground until the begining of April.

Nothing stops here, all roads are cleared on a regular basis and all cars owners have to fit winter tyres by the end of October, by law. We have Trolley Buses, they run with no problems as do the Trains. The only thing that suffers is Football, the season here is finished well before the first snows fall.

Lets hope the bad weather stays away from Ashton Gate as I am looking forward to the team selection for the Leeds game. BY THE WAY IT 'S MINUS 12 IN TALLINN TODAY

I've recently come back from similar temperatures in the US, personally I like the cold weather, my point was though that WE as a country can't deal with it, prepare for the worst (disruption, etc.

We are sitting under a High Pressure system bringing Arctic weather from the continent at the moment. As the weekend approaches there is a Low pressure system with a warm Front coming off the Atlantic and the weather people don't know where the 'battle-line' is going to be, where the Warm front (moist air) hits the very cold (dry) air over land, which will/should produce Snow.

We just have to wait and see.....

The BBC weather centre is run by the Met Office. The forecasters you see on national BBC TV (and some of the local ones too) are trained metreologists - with scientific backgrounds.

The Met is the agency which owns all the weather satellites, local weather monitoring centres and other hi-tech equipment.

Other weather service providers simply use the Met's data and present it via ex-Met office meteorologists.

Forecasting is an inexact science but when - a few years back - I was charged by an employer with sourcing reliable weather statistics I found that the BBC site beat various commercial rivals when subjected to a thorough analysis. As it should - it is much more comprehensive.

The BBC weather centre is run by the Met Office. The forecasters you see on national BBC TV (and some of the local ones too) are trained metreologists - with scientific backgrounds.

The Met is the agency which owns all the weather satellites, local weather monitoring centres and other hi-tech equipment.

Other weather service providers simply use the Met's data and present it via ex-Met office meteorologists.

Forecasting is an inexact science but when - a few years back - I was charged by an employer with sourcing reliable weather statistics I found that the BBC site beat various commercial rivals when subjected to a thorough analysis. As it should - it is much more comprehensive.

Actually, a lot of the independent and commercial weather centres/sites use not only Met Office data but various academic models and pan-European data. This doesn't always mean they're more accurate as often the forecast they publish is an average of the different model results and these models will often contradict and interfere with each other. Personally I think the best thing to do is to get as many forecasts as possible and make your own judgement based on what they're telling you. BBC/Met Office are as good as any. Anyway, a forecast of snow is not the same as snow settling so I wouldn't be worried at this stage

Actually, a lot of the independent and commercial weather centres/sites use not only Met Office data but various academic models and pan-European data. This doesn't always mean they're more accurate as often the forecast they publish is an average of the different model results and these models will often contradict and interfere with each other. Personally I think the best thing to do is to get as many forecasts as possible and make your own judgement based on what they're telling you. BBC/Met Office are as good as any. Anyway, a forecast of snow is not the same as snow settling so I wouldn't be worried at this stage

Well, I did know that Chip, but I was trying to keep the discussion simplified. :whistle2:

As you say, Met Office data is as good as any. I did my analysis about three years ago, but a retrospective accuracy check (more difficult to do then it seems) put Met Office just above Meteogroup by about 0.25% (from memory).

I'm not a meteorologist BTW - I just know a few.

If that's the case then why are our local weather forecasts usually completely different to the national one?

And don't say it's because one is regionalised whilst the other is more localised. If the national weather shows rain for the region you'd expect that to be covered somewhere on the local report... quite often it's completely different come rain or shine.

We are sitting under a High Pressure system bringing Arctic weather from the continent at the moment. As the weekend approaches there is a Low pressure system with a warm Front coming off the Atlantic and the weather people don't know where the 'battle-line' is going to be, where the Warm front (moist air) hits the very cold (dry) air over land, which will/should produce Snow.

Thankyou Michael fish

If that's the case then why are our local weather forecasts usually completely different to the national one?

And don't say it's because one is regionalised whilst the other is more localised. If the national weather shows rain for the region you'd expect that to be covered somewhere on the local report... quite often it's completely different come rain or shine.

Done by a different person, from a different office.

When Richard Angwin left for Al Jazeera, that left BBC West weather in the hands of non meteorologists.

You're better off putting your home town into the BBC Weather page and looking there though. 'Regionalised' weather will always contain oodles of generalisations. I've left my home here in a t-shirt and driven 20 miles to Ashton Gate and faced freezing sleet in the past!

The system the Met/BBC do at present means a county like Somerset is covered by about 4 or 5 data stations - often at military bases. But from 2013 (I think) they are rolling out a new more detailed system for the public with data pertinent to 10 sq mile grids - the MoD already use this I believe.

Who is gonna win, hot air or cold air. There is only one way to find out! FIGHT!!!

Didnt the BBC / Met office and / Micheal Fish once say live on TV in responce to a concerned viewer that there is no chance that a twister is heading towards the UK...

I believe a few hours after that the UK got hit heavy causing thousands of damage.

Edit... yes here it is ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987 its also on youtube! :laugh:

So in conclusion with that in mind and the constant wrong weather reports on BBC ... the met office is pretty poor!

Didnt the BBC / Met office and / Micheal Fish once say live on TV in responce to a concerned viewer that there is no chance that a twister is heading towards the UK...

I believe a few hours after that the UK got hit heavy causing thousands of damage.

Edit... yes here it is ... http://en.wikipedia....t_Storm_of_1987 its also on youtube! :laugh:

So in conclusion with that in mind and the constant wrong weather reports on BBC ... the met office is pretty poor!

A bit harsh on Fish. He was actually doing a US weather forecast when he said there wouldn't be a hurricane.

For the domestic viewers, he said that very strong winds were expected and that they should "batten down the hatches". The storm, however, wasn't a hurricane, as that's a tropical cyclone.

Going off the point a bit, I once saw MF in Norwich Station with a tall, leggy blonde on his arm. I don't think she was his daughter.

Archived