IGNORED

Formations...

The Original OTIB

well, yes and now... obviously, desire and graft are at least 50% of any team... just look at Sunderland now with a different mentality and a manager who gives not a stuff about formations... "get out there and play"...

anyhow...

It might be an idea to buck the trends and wind the clock back to the "wing back" fashion of a decade or so ago...

for example

JAMES

ALBERT FONTAINE CISSE NYATANGA FOSTER

SKUSE KILKENNY ELLIOTT

WOOD

PITMAN

Certainly worth trying for a fist half at least at home.... we've always looked threating like this over the years... essentially it becomes 3 5 2 as you push on.

Albert at Wingback? He's double marked most games anyway, giving him extra defensive duties is just going to stifle. Given Bolasie being suspended i'd do this:

------------------JAMES

SKUSE-CAREY-FONTAINE-FOSTER

------------------CISSE----------------------

ADOMAH----KILKENNY----PEARSON

------------WOOD----PITMAN-------------

Pearson will naturally play narrow but having Foster and that side will give an option down that side, not ideal with him being right footed but he offers far more going forward than McGivern. This presumes that Nyatanga and Elliot are still injured. Wilson and Bolasie suspended. Doesn't leave us with a lot of options save staying with one up front and playing JCR or Woolford wide left.

Different tactics = different set ups = different players...

433: James; Skuse, Frontaine, Nyatanga, Foster; Kilkenny, Elliot, Pearson; Adohma, Wood, Stead

4231: James, Skuse, Frontaine, Nyatanga, Foster; Elliot, Cisse; Adohma, Wood, Bolasie; Pitman

4411: James, Skuse, Frontaine, Nyatanga, Foster; Adohma, Elliot, Cisse, Pearson; Wood; Pitman

EDIT

Different tactics = different set ups = different players...

433: James; Skuse, Frontaine, Nyatanga, Foster; Kilkenny, Elliot, Pearson; Adohma, Wood, Stead

4231: Skuse, Frontaine, Nyatanga, Foster; Elliot, Cisse; Adohma, Wood, Bolasie; Pitman

4411: Skuse, Frontaine, Nyatanga, Foster; Adohma, Elliot, Cisse, Pearson; Wood; Pitman

and we wonder why we lost no wonder we had skuse in goal and only playing 10 men!

We need to be more attacking, if it means leaving ourselves slightly more open at the back then so be it. If you don't score goals you don't win matches.

See your point but Del is thinking points to stay up, for now and the rest of the season the first goal in our games our going to be so important he can't play the way he wants with the players currently at the club.

See your point but Del is thinking points to stay up, for now and the rest of the season the first goal in our games our going to be so important he can't play the way he wants with the players currently at the club.

Fair point but unless we improve on 5 goals in the last 11 games we will not doubt be relegated.

Everyone seems to be going on about formations at the monent with the good ol 4-4-2 back on the agenda on Radio Briz last night. Trouble is we in my view don't have the players to play it, we all want another player up front but the one area of the pitch that seems to continualy get overlooked on these pages in the defensive unit. It is not up to the job IMO, you can pick any two from the centre halves on the books and over a period of time they fall short of what is required. The whole team is set up to stop us leaking goals. I don't thinkl City are the worst team in the division but we do have the worst defensive unit in my view, I really hope Del's foray into the loan market this weeks addresses this, only then might he be able to think if alternative formations to get more goals.

We just havn't replaced Caulker effectively, and we are missing Elliotts energy in midfield.

I agree we need more goals in order to stay up, but we need to defend far better, the first goal yesterday in a tight match, in which we were the better side showed this.

Albert at Wingback? He's double marked most games anyway, giving him extra defensive duties is just going to stifle. Given Bolasie being suspended i'd do this:

------------------JAMES

SKUSE-CAREY-FONTAINE-FOSTER

------------------CISSE----------------------

ADOMAH----KILKENNY----PEARSON

------------WOOD----PITMAN-------------

Pearson will naturally play narrow but having Foster and that side will give an option down that side, not ideal with him being right footed but he offers far more going forward than McGivern. This presumes that Nyatanga and Elliot are still injured. Wilson and Bolasie suspended. Doesn't leave us with a lot of options save staying with one up front and playing JCR or Woolford wide left.

Hadn't considered this formation before but would love to see it. People moan that we can't play 2 upfront because the defense will become too exposed but that is exactly what Cisse sitting there would be for, breaking up the play and not allowing too much pressure on the defence.

Reasons why 4-4-2 will not work:

1) Albert Adohma, our best outfield player is an attacking winger. He won't work very well in midfield, or at the very least he won't be able to use his full potential. Same with Bolasie.

2) Kilkenny needs freedom to move around to create chances.

3) Cisse cannot pass effectively, he's only really good for getting the ball back. He needs to be placed in a holding position, not in a 2 man field.

4) Our current full backs Foster and Skuse like to come forward to help in attack, they won't be able to do this as it will leave gaps.

5) No matter who plays in midfield, we won't stand much chance of keeping possession.

Unless we bring in completely new players, a 4-4-2 is pointless.

Reasons why 4-4-2 will not work:

1) Albert Adohma, our best outfield player is an attacking winger. He won't work very well in midfield, or at the very least he won't be able to use his full potential. Same with Bolasie.

2) Kilkenny needs freedom to move around to create chances.

3) Cisse cannot pass effectively, he's only really good for getting the ball back. He needs to be placed in a holding position, not in a 2 man field.

4) Our current full backs Foster and Skuse like to come forward to help in attack, they won't be able to do this as it will leave gaps.

5) No matter who plays in midfield, we won't stand much chance of keeping possession.

Unless we bring in completely new players, a 4-4-2 is pointless.

I totaly agree.

Its all very well ringing up 20p and shouting this and that...in the cold light of day you see it differently, we need defenders who dont need to be hand held so that the whole team can offer more in attack. Easier said than done mind and I hope we can find at least a tempoary fix till the end of the season ASAP.

3-5-2 for me but the three would have to be better than we have.

Fair point but unless we improve on 5 goals in the last 11 games we will not doubt be relegated.

That's the worrying thing where are the goals coming from, we though it seems this season put in a performance when we really need to, Donny/Milllwall home and away, Southampton, like i said on a different thread getting that first goal is massive in any game we play this season, because it seems this group of players are not good when we go behind.

Archived