IGNORED

David Beckham England Manager

Barrs Court Red

Worked for Germany with Klinsmann

Only because he had Low (with an umlaut over the "o") as his number 2, and a dazzling array of young talent that had been carefully nurtured over the last decade by an FA that knew what it had to do (see also the Spanish FA)

No, no, no x 1 million

Put a media-hungry washed up self-publicising, narcissistic pr1ck with a scheming troll of a wife in charge of the team that represents our country? The very thought makes me ill :nono:

Get off the fence then. Do you want Beckham or not? :icecream:

Personally, I think that England would achieve everything I expect from them if Beckham is in charge.

I don't really care who it is given ABR.

A dismal analysis. With that kind of negativity you should be thinking of applying to join the FA. Think back to when Ramsey was appointed, at that time no English team had won what was then called the European Cup. Did that mean that no English manager was good enough to manage at international level? Either of the three you mention would be fine by me and by the time they come to retire from the post who knows what people will be coming through. We are a major football nation, previous World Cup winners, fifth in the FIFA rankings and it is an absolute disgrace that we should even consider appointing a foreigner to manage our national team. It is also worth bearing in mind that no team has won the World Cup with a foreign manager.

no foreign coach has won the world cup. Well I pity us. I wouldn't put any merit on FIFA rankings. I put merit on the standard of footballers, which we do not have enough of. If people continue to fool themselves into thinking we are a great football nation because of past glories, then they can be assured of watching poor football and winning nothing.

So much has to change, from the bottom up for us to get close to winning anything, and it will take years. I hope these dinosaurs redknapp Pardew and hogson get put out to pasture, and some fresh innovative English coaches come to the fore.

But as long as the domestic game is based on mountains of money, instant success and wealthy foreign owners, don't expect to see any talented English managers appearing. Premier League teams cannot afford to experiment or give young up and coming managers time, they want proven top level managers from the best leagues in Europe.

We could experiment with a up and coming English manager from the lower leagues, but they would not have the experience of managing big name players and the egos, I doubt very much if those said egos would be happy working under q inexperienced manager.

I'm sorry, but unless there is significant change in how football is run, coached and decent coaches somehow fasttracked, I can only see the England team and a English coach being dead in the water.

I do not doubt that Beckham would bring passion, desire and 100% comittment to the job.

However, I think he would be as good as England Manager as he is in the H&M ads i.e. pants!

I do not doubt that Beckham would bring passion, desire and 100% comittment to the job.

However, I think he would be as good as England Manager as he is in the H&M ads i.e. pants!

it's guys like him that should be employed at the fa, not theses mysterious old codgers in suits still living football in the 50's 60's and 70's.

Funny how Southgate is part of the fa now, but was sat there in a tv studio finding out Capello had gone from the media. Tells you all you need to know about how the fa is run.

Why not? Twitchy won't be free from spurs untill end of season, and the under 21's under Pearce were terrible last summer.

The guy would be available, is looked up to and could be a great motivator. We've failed with passion (keegan) and now with a football master, maybe it's time for an icon? As a short term what harm can it do, and if it worked result. It's not like things could get worse....

Errr... wasn't he part of the set up during the woefull showing at the last world cup?!

He hardly made much of an impact with that, did he?!

Oh, and last time I looked, DB was not a manager!

Oh. Would that still stand for the manager who follows the next appointment as well?

If so we are screwed. I am hard pushed to think of any English manager who is good enough to manage internationally, I mean, there are hardly any in the prem, just redknapp who is nearly at retirement age, Roy Hogson who is nearly at retirement age and Alan Pardew.

Hodgson and Redknapp are younger than Capello.

Can't ever remember age being mentioned as a negative factor in his reign. Amazing what Grecian 2000 can do, I suppose.

I disagree, I think both were smart in their own ways. Clough knew how to get into a player's mind, which is a rare gift indeed

I did make that point in the rest of my post. I meant they weren't traditional academically gifted but were canny in other ways.

Hodgson and Redknapp are younger than Capello.

Can't ever remember age being mentioned as a negative factor in his reign. Amazing what Grecian 2000 can do, I suppose.

I am looking at it as long term appointment, as people know as you get older things stop working, doctors start saying time to calm down and do less. Both thee guys are a year or two away from the official retirement date, Capello at 66 has just finished his international career, not just starting it, and by all accounts may be heading for a back room role rather than Manergerial role.

I guess we are not party to the FA's strategy, but I would be hoping they are trying to lay down a long term plan, with the next manager leaving some sort of legacy. I do wonder about the age of these two candidates and carrying forward England over the Next 4-8 years.

The manager should only be English, if we have any managers that are good enough - there are very few that are good enough - Redknapp, Venables and who else??

Otherwise it needs to be the best possible man regardless of nationality.

Not singling you out Riaz, but I was wondering when the Venables card would get played. This will be the same Venables who has a worse winning % as England manager than Steve McClaren, never had to navigate a qualifying campaign, and oversaw Euro 96 that is, in my opinion, viewed with rather rose-tinted specs (and I went to all of the England games in that tournament). I certainly don't disagree that Venables had his time, but his recent spells at Portsmouth, Palace, Leeds and Boro hardly stand out as reasons to stick him back in the England manager position.

For those who have not read it, I recommend Soccernomics, by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski. It gets a bit dry, but the chapters "Why England Loses and Others Win" and "The Worst Business In The World" are rather interesting in relation to this debate.

I spent 3 weeks in SA for the World Cup, and the least enjoyable part involved England: I would not ever want them to lose, but I'd trade England never qualifying again in my lifetime for a tournament in exchange for City winning something of importance.

I am looking at it as long term appointment, as people know as you get older things stop working, doctors start saying time to calm down and do less. Both thee guys are a year or two away from the official retirement date, Capello at 66 has just finished his international career, not just starting it, and by all accounts may be heading for a back room role rather than Manergerial role.

I guess we are not party to the FA's strategy, but I would be hoping they are trying to lay down a long term plan, with the next manager leaving some sort of legacy. I do wonder about the age of these two candidates and carrying forward England over the Next 4-8 years.

Redknapp would be a long term imo. He could manage for another 6 years taking him to 70. That would mean 2 European Championships and a World Cup, maybe 2. That would be enough surely?

Redknapp would be a long term imo. He could manage for another 6 years taking him to 70. That would mean 2 European Championships and a World Cup, maybe 2. That would be enough surely?

When has Redknapp done anything long term? He gets 3/4 of the way through building something, then Jumps ship to his next cash cow :) if course no bungs to be had for the National team, so he better get selling Bale and Van De Vaart quick smartish for a last hurrah for transfer profits ;)

I just don't think you can plan long term with older managers. Yes I know anyone can get ill, but the chances when you hit mid 60's certainly increases your chances.

When has Redknapp done anything long term? He gets 3/4 of the way through building something, then Jumps ship to his next cash cow :) if course no bungs to be had for the National team, so he better get selling Bale and Van De Vaart quick smartish for a last hurrah for transfer profits ;)

I just don't think you can plan long term with older managers. Yes I know anyone can get ill, but the chances when you hit mid 60's certainly increases your chances.

Managing England for me is a job for a person with tonnes of experience who is coming towards the end of their career. Redknapp hasn't done anything long-term because his career has mainly been stepping stones. He done well at Pompey and got offered the job at Spurs who are much a bigger club then Pompey.

Why not? Twitchy won't be free from spurs untill end of season, and the under 21's under Pearce were terrible last summer.

The guy would be available, is looked up to and could be a great motivator. We've failed with passion (keegan) and now with a football master, maybe it's time for an icon? As a short term what harm can it do, and if it worked result. It's not like things could get worse....

Good footballer but all the presence & charisma of a dead sheep.

Archived