IGNORED

Fao Stat Fans: Attack And Defence In One Handy Graph

Red Ferret

Saw this earlier today - you can click the pic to make it bigger

football-league-attack-and-defence-110212.png

Mildly interesting to see how we compare to everyone else in the football league with regards to our attack and defence

Unless I'm mistaken we have the worst "shots to goals" ratio in the entire football league. 14 shots for every goal!

Defence seems average though

• Admin

First view I thought it was a plan of the UK, then realised we were over in Eastern Europe !

Seriously tho, these stats were mentioned on football league show, I guess at LEAST we are creating shooting opportunities, but you only have to look back at last few performances to understand these figures

Just goes to show where we are at the moment and have been all season........below average in defence and appalling in attack.

Relegation is more than likely if we dont turn this around and I believe at least 2 effective loan signings are required.....at this juncture and within reason, cost should not be a barrier, we must maintain our Championship status

Interesting graph .... although doesn't it show Coventry are better than us both in attack and defence?

Not the whole story then.

Yep. Think the graph really is meant to represent how good/bad teams are with taking their chances rather than how many they actually scored

Same with defence (shots on our goal vs number of goals conceded)

Its more about ratios than anything

If you want to summarise anything its that David James has had an adequate season and Nicky Maynard a very bad one!

Yep. Think the graph really is meant to represent how good/bad teams are with taking their chances rather than how many they actually scored

Same with defence (shots on our goal vs number of goals conceded)

Its more about ratios than anything

If you want to summarise anything its that David James has had an adequate season and Nicky Maynard a very bad one!

Not a fan of these sort of stats because I think that they are based only on quantity and take no accout of quality. Well do I remember in the dark days of Pulis the 'we put in 30 crosses today' quotes. Well it all depends on quality and not quantity.

It is true to say that at 14% our shots to goals conversion rate appears poor on the surface. But then what sort of chances are being created, what sort of shots attempted? Having a go from 35 yards out and a chance 10 yards out just aren't the same.

From what I've seen so far this season (every home game) rarely do I come away thinking we've created a lot and poor finishing has let us down. In many games we've just not looked like creating or scoring.

Main source of the problem, IMO, lies in defence. Weak as hell at the start of the season, the solution has been to sacrifice a striker to add more weight to a midfield that has to help out the defence. Even when we have the ball at the back, most of our defenders can't distribute, meaning the likes of Kilkenny and Cisse play deeper than they should and very rarely get up to support the front man, never mind go past him. When we have the ball in their half, rarely do you seem one of our midfielders find that quality creative pass. Why should we expect it - most of them are there for their defensive qualities.

Am sure that the likes of Maynard, Wood, Pitman, Stead can/could score goals - they've all proved that in their time. It is just that they are isolated and anyway don't get the service and instead we reduce ourselves to long-distance/poor quality attempts that aren't likely to succeed.

The more I think of it, the more worrying it gets. Our troubles aren't just about 1/2 mis-firing players - the whole squad is out of kilter and the best we can hope for is to survive this year by the skin of our teeth and hope it can be sorted in the summer.

Interesting stat - seems to contradict the widely held belief that our troubles are down to the strikers not getting service

Absolutely. In today’s Telegraph there is an interesting list showing the top 5 teams in the Championship with the highest number of shots. City are 5th!

Burnley 406

Hull 370

Southampton 360

Blackpool 359

City 355

For City this is almost 12 attempts per game which seems high. However when you consider that in the game against Hull City managed 8 and against Coventry it was 19, it's not as strange as it seems. Unfortunately with City far too many of the shots are long range and off target so it’s no surprise so few go in.

What it doesn't show clearly, but which was printed in teh Observer stats yesterday, is that we feature amongst the top clubs in the Championship both for shots at goal and for shots on target. Why are we not scoring more goals then?

Under that schema a shot that ends up in Row Z is counted off target and one straight at the keeper's midriff is counted on target, neither is likely to yield a goal ... for me the only true on target shot is one that does yield a goal ... which is why the tally of goals scored per total goal attempts is far a more telling measure of attacking (or defensive) efficiency.

A team that has large number of shots ("on" and "off" target) but actually scores very few goals is clearly lacking composure, confidence, competence or some combination of all three!

Edit

PS A clinical attack that scores a couple of goals with its first dozen efforts, say, doesn't need to have another dozen (like we did at Coventry) because they will by then most likely be in command of the match result!

Not a fan of these sort of stats because I think that they are based only on quantity and take no accout of quality.

They are ratios of two quantities and therefore provide a qualitative basis for comparison with similar data acquired from other sources.

It is true to say that at 14% our shots to goals conversion rate appears poor on the surface. But then what sort of chances are being created, what sort of shots attempted? Having a go from 35 yards out and a chance 10 yards out just aren't the same.

Our shots to goal conversion rate is the poorest. In the Division. You then go on to suggest possible explanations and subjects for further analysis which if solved constructively might enable the team to improve their shots to goal ratio. Let's hope its soon!

But remember: You can't improve what you don't measure. So many thanks to the original poster on this thread for a graphic illustration of this poor season.

Archived