IGNORED

4-5-1 Shove It!

old_eastender

Let's look at the facts 5 defeats in previous 6 games playing 4-5-1 with no goals scored in any of those defeats.

70 mins against Palace with 4-5-1 no goals scored. 20 mins with two up front and hey presto - GOALS.

And this without our best holding CM (Cisse) and Kilkenny on the pitch, which we keep being told can't work.

Let's hope this finally sees a return to 2 up front and actually trying to win games, rather than playing not to lose.

COYR

Del is a fan of 4-4-2 but he's obviously got concerns about playing it with our squad.

I find 4-3-3 the best formation if you aim to control a football match but whatever gets us the required points to stay up, I couldn't care less.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I like either formation, but a club should never stick rigidly to an formation when it's not working. Unfortunately for us, neither has worked effectively this season.

Del is a fan of 4-4-2 but he's obviously got concerns about playing it with our squad.

I find 4-3-3 the best formation if you aim to control a football match but whatever gets us the required points to stay up, I couldn't care less.

Oh 433 is a very good formation if you have players with enough intelligence to plkay it. Unfortunately Bolasie is a bit of a headless chicken, you have no idea what you are going to get from the guy, and the final ball is not great. Albert is getting better, but is getting doubled up on. You need someone from the centre to find space that Albert has freed up. Sadly too many players missing the most important thing in a 433, the intelligence to utilise space and the ball

4-3-3 wouldnt work, you need two good fullbacks to get up the field and back.

4-2-2 would be the best, where the backs and wingers covers each other when going forward. Also will help with any counter attacks.

But we do need two up front, Woods or Stead along side PItman.

So 4-4-2 and not the 4-5-1 crap were playing.

Oh 433 is a very good formation if you have players with enough intelligence to plkay it. Unfortunately Bolasie is a bit of a headless chicken, you have no idea what you are going to get from the guy, and the final ball is not great. Albert is getting better, but is getting doubled up on. You need someone from the centre to find space that Albert has freed up. Sadly too many players missing the most important thing in a 433, the intelligence to utilise space and the ball

I'm also noticing that by the time Albert has actually ran somewhere, he's ridden so many challenges and is so off balance that his final ball either isn't there or he's just slashing a shot at goal. Fair play to the guy, the amount of territory he gains for us and the dangerous positions he gets in makes him one of our only decent outlets.

IF we go 4-4-2 sat then we have to make sure there is a balance. I have said in other posts I haven't been a fan of 4-4-2 but we just look out of ideas at present. With this exception of this Saturday, where I would like to see 4-4-2, maybe the 4-3-3 is best for away games? At home we need to be on the front foot and attacking teams so perhaps shouldn't play it and go a bit more direct in a 4-4-2?

Like I said in a 4-4-2 the balance is needed so maybe if Del is unsure about having 2 in the middle of the park and being exposed Brett could tuck in when we are defending?

Anyway for sat, I would go jamo, skuse, McManus, fonts, foster as the back 4, but if skuse is injured bring nyatanga in at left back and shift foster over to right back.

Then in midfield and assuming Cisse is injured and as Kilkenny made a difference last night I would go Adomah, Marv, Kilkenny, Pearson, with Brett and Wood up top.

I know people have their doubts about playing Kilkenny in a 2 in the middle of the park but if you are going to be outnumbered in there, then when you do have the ball you need someone that can keep it and makes the right decisions, and on his day Killa can do that well. I would go with it and see.

Archived