IGNORED

What A Great Feeling...

Jordan Tansley

Alright, let's get the pleasantries out the way first... Today in the "Palace starting XI" thread I had a little discussion with Noggers amongst others about Pitman and Stead as the partner for Wood and posted this

I just don't see it at the moment, But I'll be open to be proved wrong should he start and even more open to be delighted should it work. Now's not the time for favourites, it's the time for getting some valuable points. I personally would like to see how Stead would react to a start considering he has been publicly chomping at the bit... I think he has a brilliant attitude and a start tonight next to Wood could be the inspiration for the type of performance that saw him quickly become a fans favourite at the start of last season.

Equally, a start might (this time) act as a spur for Pitman to produce something.

Either way, let's pray for one thing together eh? Three juicy, invaluable, brilliant points.

Can I just make this abundantly clear to all those who mistakenly think I have some sort of grudge against Brett... I am absolutely delighted with his impact, goals and performance today and am delighted to have been proven very wrong indeed.

So, to the chaps I've frequently locked horns with regard to striker selection I apologise. Many of the aspects of his game I dislike are still there of course and I still would hate to see him as a lone striker... But yeah, that's a point we owe to "Super Brett" :D

On to the game, I was quite pleased that it only took about 30 minutes for the brand new defence to bed in... Unfortunately in that first 30 we conceded a quite outstanding goal from a brilliant young player in Wilfred Zaha. We had a lot more control of the ball in the last 15 of the half and were unlucky not to score from Wood's effort and of course the sublime strike from Pearson that looked in all the way until it crashed into the woodwork.

Second half was a little slow to pick up I thought, with Yannick continually showing little knowledge of how to play his position... I like the kid, He is a very talented, two footed player who will, given the correct coaching, develop... However he really needs to spend a few hours with Murray or another experienced winger about running into spaces and not only creating space for himself, but also the other strikers. He's got a lot to learn that lad.

The referee was, I thought, atrocious all evening. Even before the utterly bemusing penalty decision the inconsistency of his officiating was enraging. Some of the bookings given to our lads then compared to some of the challenges that went unpunished showed a really shocking level of inconsistency. The penalty was surely the most laughable decision in a while (Perhaps since the phantom goal) Fontaine is felled and Murray falls over him... no appeal, The referee is right on top of it and gives nothing only for the linesman (35yards + away) to flag ferociously... unbelievable really. I honestly couldn't believe it.

At this point we had no option but to throw the extra striker on and it was inevitable that Yannick would be sacrificed. He did well but we needed that goal threat up front with time quickly running out and boy did the lad deliver. Pitmans first finish was truly brilliant (And I hold my hands up here, at the Gate I said to my friends around me that I didn't think Pitman should take it as he is usually pants from set pieces... suffice to say I had my head in my hands as the net bulged and the people around me chanted "****** ****** ******" at me!!)

His second finish was a little lucky with the deflection, but they all count the same and it really was a wonderful feeling after feeling so cheated by the penalty decision...

I thought special mention should go to Wood. He looks an excellent proposition and not only won most aerial battles today but chased every ball no matter how hopeless. He's a real team player and didn't let his head drop even when he was left isolated on his own. Him and Pitman showed a really good understanding in the last few minutes and that's something Derek should work on... We did get ripped apart a little after going two up front, but at times you've got to sacrifice some of our solidity to gain a better goal threat.

The point was invaluable when you consider we were two down... It was certainly a winnable game. But in this division they all are.

COYR.

Alright, let's get the pleasantries out the way first... Today in the "Palace starting XI" thread I had a little discussion with Noggers amongst others about Pitman and Stead as the partner for Wood and posted this

Can I just make this abundantly clear to all those who mistakenly think I have some sort of grudge against Brett... I am absolutely delighted with his impact, goals and performance today and am delighted to have been proven very wrong indeed.

So, to the chaps I've frequently locked horns with regard to striker selection I apologise. Many of the aspects of his game I dislike are still there of course and I still would hate to see him as a lone striker... But yeah, that's a point we owe to "Super Brett" :D

On to the game, I was quite pleased that it only took about 30 minutes for the brand new defence to bed in... Unfortunately in that first 30 we conceded a quite outstanding goal from a brilliant young player in Wilfred Zaha. We had a lot more control of the ball in the last 15 of the half and were unlucky not to score from Wood's effort and of course the sublime strike from Pearson that looked in all the way until it crashed into the woodwork.

Second half was a little slow to pick up I thought, with Yannick continually showing little knowledge of how to play his position... I like the kid, He is a very talented, two footed player who will, given the correct coaching, develop... However he really needs to spend a few hours with Murray or another experienced winger about running into spaces and not only creating space for himself, but also the other strikers. He's got a lot to learn that lad.

The referee was, I thought, atrocious all evening. Even before the utterly bemusing penalty decision the inconsistency of his officiating was enraging. Some of the bookings given to our lads then compared to some of the challenges that went unpunished showed a really shocking level of inconsistency. The penalty was surely the most laughable decision in a while (Perhaps since the phantom goal) Fontaine is felled and Murray falls over him... no appeal, The referee is right on top of it and gives nothing only for the linesman (35yards + away) to flag ferociously... unbelievable really. I honestly couldn't believe it.

At this point we had no option but to throw the extra striker on and it was inevitable that Yannick would be sacrificed. He did well but we needed that goal threat up front with time quickly running out and boy did the lad deliver. Pitmans first finish was truly brilliant (And I hold my hands up here, at the Gate I said to my friends around me that I didn't think Pitman should take it as he is usually pants from set pieces... suffice to say I had my head in my hands as the net bulged and the people around me chanted "****** ****** ******" at me!!)

His second finish was a little lucky with the deflection, but they all count the same and it really was a wonderful feeling after feeling so cheated by the penalty decision...

I thought special mention should go to Wood. He looks an excellent proposition and not only won most aerial battles today but chased every ball no matter how hopeless. He's a real team player and didn't let his head drop even when he was left isolated on his own. Him and Pitman showed a really good understanding in the last few minutes and that's something Derek should work on... We did get ripped apart a little after going two up front, but at times you've got to sacrifice some of our solidity to gain a better goal threat.

The point was invaluable when you consider we were two down... It was certainly a winnable game. But in this division they all are.

COYR.

I'm with you on the ''Dont think Brett fits the bill as a lone striker'' but i'm also willing to be proved wrong! Tonight he showcased just how good a goalgetter he is and hopefully he finds a nice streak of form to get us valuable points as we could pull away with a few wins looking at how poorly Forest and Doncaster are doing!

COYR.

Nice post....... I do believe the game was sadly lost up until that point and then we got a point by the end...... better than none

Very reasonable post JT.

Although our organisation was shambolic most of the night - surely they decide in advance who should take corners, set pieces etc? - and the defence shakier than a shaky thing (not surprisingly when Palace's fast men run through our makeshift defence - oh, for Cisse!) - we were unlucky not to take 3 points.

We had Speroni make a great point-blank reaction save and that brilliant stretch to tip the ball over the bar, then there was Pearson's shot off the underside of the crossbar (how?!!) and that late off-the-line clearance.

They had one moment of brilliance from Zaha and a shit penalty decision go their way.

Just wish McInnes would make changes earlier. Wood could've played solo, up front until the early hours and still not have scored - and that's no reflection on him, I thought he worked his socks off.

Archived