IGNORED

Mcgivern

Taylor10

First of all great come back tonight! Secondly, and I hope I don't jinx anything here but it looks as thought McManus could be a decent signing. Looked a bit rusty but I can forgive him that, as he made some great blocks and is prepared to die for you. I think him and Fonts could turn out to work well.

Right now on to my main point. Whilst I realise Zaha is a class act, tonight showed me that McGivern is no way near good enough. I have stuck by him in recent weeks, and have been prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt due to his age etc. But that first half display was as bad as I have seen from anyone this season.

For the first goal his sloppy pass was intercepted and given to straight to Zaha who skinned McManus, but I can let Mcmanus off due to his lack of game time and the fact that on his day Zaha could pull apart most defenders.

But McGiverns positional sense is just woeful. He hasn't even got the pace to recover from his mistakes or poor position and he alone nearly cost us. Thankfully in the second half he managed to sort himself out a bit and for some reason, good only knows why they moved Zaha out to the left.

I can't defend him anymore and I won't accept people saying things like 'oh he's not too bad', because I am afraid that 'not too bad' is not good enough! People would be ripping Macca to shreds if it was him doing what McGivern did tonight. For me this is now a problem area, and I think if we want to improve then we need to get another decent full back, even a right back would do to allow Foster to play left back. I don't know how Man City offered him a new deal I really don't, he just isn't good enough and being in the position we are in now we can't afford to carry him and his fragile defending and decision making anymore. Rant over but I just had to let that go tonight! Probs still the adrenaline running around me from Brett's equalizer!

First of all great come back tonight! Secondly, and I hope I don't jinx anything here but it looks as thought McManus could be a decent signing. Looked a bit rusty but I can forgive him that, as he made some great blocks and is prepared to die for you. I think him and Fonts could turn out to work well.

Right now on to my main point. Whilst I realise Zaha is a class act, tonight showed me that McGivern is no way near good enough. I have stuck by him in recent weeks, and have been prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt due to his age etc. But that first half display was as bad as I have seen from anyone this season.

For the first goal his sloppy pass was intercepted and given to straight to Zaha who skinned McManus, but I can let Mcmanus off due to his lack of game time and the fact that on his day Zaha could pull apart most defenders.

But McGiverns positional sense is just woeful. He hasn't even got the pace to recover from his mistakes or poor position and he alone nearly cost us. Thankfully in the second half he managed to sort himself out a bit and for some reason, good only knows why they moved Zaha out to the left.

I can't defend him anymore and I won't accept people saying things like 'oh he's not too bad', because I am afraid that 'not too bad' is not good enough! People would be ripping Macca to shreds if it was him doing what McGivern did tonight. For me this is now a problem area, and I think if we want to improve then we need to get another decent full back, even a right back would do to allow Foster to play left back. I don't know how Man City offered him a new deal I really don't, he just isn't good enough and being in the position we are in now we can't afford to carry him and his fragile defending and decision making anymore. Rant over but I just had to let that go tonight! Probs still the adrenaline running around me from Brett's equalizer!

I agree he's not the best but a major problem first half was their right back getting forward as well and no one was tracking him. So Mcgivern had two players overrunning him.

have to agree, got done for a hobby, total lack of pace and when he had the chance to whip in a good delivery it was very predicatble and more like a slow and gentle here you go type ball, first time with plenty of pace my fella !!

I'd rather we place Skuse at RB and Foster at LB than play him again. The rest of the defence looked reasonable tonight

I think this is how we need to set up...I can see why he played RM tonight as Kilkenny wasnt fully fit but hopefully we will go 442 and have these 2 as fullbacks.

Agree with all this, but you have to say that he got little or no support defensively from Bolassie - when Zaha turned him for the goal there was no-one providing any sort of cover at all.

This is true, Bolasie has a lot to learn for me and whilst he can be exciting he needs to help out the full back as well. You are right McGivern was horribly exposed at times. But then look at Zaha, work rate is immense and in fairness he was all palace had. I just think McGivern looks so vulnerable out there its untrue. He seems like an honest lad who gives his all but he just isn't up to it! I don't like slating players but there comes a time where you just have to be realistic!

Don't you think DM sees Foster as our left back? Out of choice that's where he seems to play him. We needed a reshuffle tonight to move Skuse into midfield, with Cisse injured.

I think that is the long term. We just need Cisse back in the middle for this to work.

Yes.

Who was that then? Did he play in a wheelchair?

I'd rather we place Skuse at RB and Foster at LB than play him again. The rest of the defence looked reasonable tonight

We looked a lot better yeah. I am hoping McManus can be the die hard centre half we have been missing, Fonts looked his ever calm self and swept up what McManus missed. I thought Foster looked solid defensively as well.

Although it is no real defence for McGivern I have to say the first 20 minutes from Zaha was the closest I have seen to Prem quality at AG this season. Not sure there were many LB's in the Championship that could have done much to stop him. Seems to be a reoccuring theme with Citys full backs though, decent going forward but weak defensively.

As much as I don't rate McGivern it was McManus who got done for the 1st goal not McGivern! He has improved IMO as the season has gone on because early on he committed himself far too often (esp away to Palace). For me I would go with Skuse with Foster at full backs.

That's true but McGivern is the guy who was left plodding several paces behind Zaha.

For me, McGivern isn't a defender. He's tactically naive and is caught out of position constantly.

Going forward, however, he looked handy and delivered some of the best crosses in the entire match.

Conclusion - he's a midfielder! He somehow has got labelled as a defender when it's not his forte.

(See also: David Clarkson - not a striker)

Although it is no real defence for McGivern I have to say the first 20 minutes from Zaha was the closest I have seen to Prem quality at AG this season. Not sure there were many LB's in the Championship that could have done much to stop him. Seems to be a reoccuring theme with Citys full backs though, decent going forward but weak defensively.

The turn and acceleration to make the goal was oustanding, with both our full backs booked after 20 minutes I feared the worst. We did very well to keep them quiet there after.

Who the hell was the last caller on Radio Bristol - just caught the end of him tearing McManus a new one..

The only reason why Zaha pulled Mcmanus' pants down for the first goal was because McGivern gave away a very very sloppy pass and left McManus horribly exposed.

By the way it was an immense bit of skill from Zaha and with his turn of pace not many defenders could have done anything what so ever about it. McManus looked rusty at times but he threw his body on the line when need and generally looked solid. I am hopeful he can bud on this and be a good addition to us!

The turn and acceleration to make the goal was oustanding, with both our full backs booked after 20 minutes I feared the worst. We did very well to keep them quiet there after.

Who the hell was the last caller on Radio Bristol - just caught the end of him tearing McManus a new one..

Think it was James Wilsons Dad :laugh:, the way he was going on.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had come out after HT like that, but Skuse getting injured scuppered that plan.

McGivern looked better going forward than defensively, convert him to to winger if we are desperate?!

I think both our full backs are P1sSS Poor, both have no pace. both have poor postional play, no threat going forward, they both are crap at crossing plus you woudnt put your mortgage on any winning a 50/50 challenge, Were going backwards in this department, give me a fit McAllister & Ribeiro any day of the week!!

To some extent, I agree with Angry Robin - a fit Ribs is excellent, but for me Macca is past it. McGivern doesn't have the pace I'm afraid, shame really because I actually think he's a decent player.

It's ironic that we are struggling with left back, as historically, in my time as a City fan, LB has always been an area of strength (Bell, Bromage, Scott to name but 3 - all excellent (Martin Scott was outstanding, and as hard as nails to boot!!!))

McG is a left-back who is trying desperately to be a left-mid / left-winger because he prefers to be on the offensive as he knows he doesn't have the pace to be defensive - he showed the bite that missed the mark and left Zaha clean on goal, but he's not right at left-back and his blown assignments lead most teams to pound the left full-back as a preferred attacking route with a shockingly high chance of success.

Archived