IGNORED

Perceptions Etc

chipdawg

Living up north and cash being rather tight, I have to hold my hands up and say I haven't been to Ashton Gate in the last 2 seasons. My opinions on the team, players and formations are generally formed from the 5 or 6 away games I go to every season, plus televised games and highlights. As such, I try and steer away from commenting on performances unless I've seen the full 90 minutes and so my image of how a game has gone is largely formed from what people post on here

Now the general opinion I've got from last night is that we were rubbish, Super Brett came on and scored a couple of good goals and we sneaked a point. However, all the match reports I've seen (admittedly one of those is the inevitably biased report on the OS) have painted a picture of us being the dominant team for most of the match, having numerous chances and forcing Speroni into a number of quality saves. Given that there seems to a general consensus that their penalty was a bit of a joke (Glenn Murray seems to go over very easily for a big lad), I'm not sure why everyone seems to think it was a lucky point rather than 2 points lost and whether we as a collective group of fans, are overly negative about City's performances. Is this a general thing with football fans or are we especially bad? Why would neutral(ish?) journalists paint a picture of us being the better team when our own fans have been nothing short of disparaging? Does anyone out there think we would have been worthy winners if Fonts header hadn't been cleared off the line or Pearson's shot had just dipped under the bar?

Well, we got battered for the first 30 mins, mainly with Zaha taking the piss out of a poor McGivern. After that we came into it better and Pearsons great shot was unlucky not to go in.

2nd half was decent with chances created. However the joke of a penalty decision almost cost us the match. I think Palace contributed to their own downfall by making defensive subs after it went 2-0 and we were able to put them under pressure.

Jamo made probably 2 saves all game whereas Speroni made quite a few, possibly 6 top saves. At 1-0 i thought we were well in the game and could have won it. However at 2-0 then a draw was the least we deserved.

It is to be said though that we were truely awful for the first 30 mins and a better team the Palace wouldve had the game buried. We cant afford to start so sloppily again, as has been the trend over recent matches.

Well, we got battered for the first 30 mins, mainly with Zaha taking the piss out of a poor McGivern. After that we came into it better and Pearsons great shot was unlucky not to go in.

2nd half was decent with chances created. However the joke of a penalty decision almost cost us the match. I think Palace contributed to their own downfall by making defensive subs after it went 2-0 and we were able to put them under pressure.

Jamo made probably 2 saves all game whereas Speroni made quite a few, possibly 6 top saves. At 1-0 i thought we were well in the game and could have won it. However at 2-0 then a draw was the least we deserved.

It is to be said though that we were truely awful for the first 30 mins and a better team the Palace wouldve had the game buried. We cant afford to start so sloppily again, as has been the trend over recent matches.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Good and bad performances last night. I thought Skuse was our best player until he went off, he gives us another option in there when Cisse is missing. We looked good when we switched to 4-4-2, but we have to remember Palace was mainly defending at this point. How many times have we called for 4-4-2 on these forums, only to change our mind when weve been over-run in midfield when we do.

For me... We still need a midfielder, so we can play Pearson on the left. Yannick is still a bit of a headless chicken for me, and needs to be used as an impact sub.

we didn't start well and were battered for the first 25 minutes, but got into the game after that 1-0 at half time was a fair score and it was a cracking strike jamo had no chance,

Second half we could of been out of site with the number of chances we were making but lacked a finisher until brett came on, h]if he was on at half time we could well of won it,

should of been a pen fonts was fouled before the tackle we should of had a freekick but hats off to thier keeper he was fantastic

Living up north and cash being rather tight, I have to hold my hands up and say I haven't been to Ashton Gate in the last 2 seasons. My opinions on the team, players and formations are generally formed from the 5 or 6 away games I go to every season, plus televised games and highlights. As such, I try and steer away from commenting on performances unless I've seen the full 90 minutes and so my image of how a game has gone is largely formed from what people post on here

Now the general opinion I've got from last night is that we were rubbish, Super Brett came on and scored a couple of good goals and we sneaked a point. However, all the match reports I've seen (admittedly one of those is the inevitably biased report on the OS) have painted a picture of us being the dominant team for most of the match, having numerous chances and forcing Speroni into a number of quality saves. Given that there seems to a general consensus that their penalty was a bit of a joke (Glenn Murray seems to go over very easily for a big lad), I'm not sure why everyone seems to think it was a lucky point rather than 2 points lost and whether we as a collective group of fans, are overly negative about City's performances. Is this a general thing with football fans or are we especially bad? Why would neutral(ish?) journalists paint a picture of us being the better team when our own fans have been nothing short of disparaging? Does anyone out there think we would have been worthy winners if Fonts header hadn't been cleared off the line or Pearson's shot had just dipped under the bar?

I think it's fair to say that much of what is posted on here during matches is done by people not at the game. It's very easy to see City were 2-0 down and post how crap we are but from the game there was a real sense of injustice when the penalty decision was made. I think a point was a fair reflection of the entire 90 minutes, but we were the team that were looking to win the game and if you had to choose a deserved winner it would just about have been us.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Good and bad performances last night. I thought Skuse was our best player until he went off, he gives us another option in there when Cisse is missing. We looked good when we switched to 4-4-2, but we have to remember Palace was mainly defending at this point. How many times have we called for 4-4-2 on these forums, only to change our mind when weve been over-run in midfield when we do.

For me... We still need a midfielder, so we can play Pearson on the left. Yannick is still a bit of a headless chicken for me, and needs to be used as an impact sub.

This - for me - is the critical point. Palace started playing from the Gary Johnson school of sitting back and defending a small lead, which meant we could go forward and our disorganised defence could take a breather.

We did enough to win the game - and were it not for a crazy penalty decision we would have.

Archived