He said “the East End’s here again”

Singing, singing “City are the

champions”,

Singing, singing “City are the best”.

Notes:

Early 1970's origin. Don Megson (father

of Gary) was manager of the bitter blues

for a while.

Such a great song, very emotive of the times.

Remember it well, especially at the wind affected match at Eastville in about '74.

Rovers had the wind behind them in the first half and went in 1-0 up. 2nd half, with the wind on their backs City were suddenly all over them and ended up winning 4-1 with Keith Fear notching a couple. One of them floating over the keeper (Sheppard in his comeback game?) from miles out.

The powerful wind and rain was coming straight at us City fans in the unprotected Open End for the whole match, so we were absolutely battered by full time but at least all the goals went in at our end. We went home bedraggled but very happy indeed.

Great game and we were able to savour it again the next day in comfort on Soccer Special.

Well thought out response - thanks

First off I hope this terrible run ends on Saturday and we pull clear (as I said before).

My comment is fact based - this club and every club sack managers when they are on appalling runs, especially when they start getting stuffed and players and fans appear not to be responding... We're not there yet but unfortunately could go that way.

This club can't afford relegation which is another reason the board may gamble.... Can they really be seen to let us slide back to league? Not good for season ticket sales.

My initial response is well thought out but I didn't feel I needed to add any more words, as the message is quite clear.

However, just to be absolutely clear I'll expand on this :

I feel really sorry for certain sections of our fan base who are calling for DM to be replaced after 20 league games!

He's had 20 games with a poor Championship squad. He's collected a points tally which would be the equivalent of 55 points for the season, which would be more than enough for mid-table security, with a poor Championship squad.

All Managers and clubs go on bad runs from time to time. He has had to bring in new players due to the squad being very poor for this level and they will take time to blend in. Yes, we don't have that time, but without his signings we'd be worse off. He will not be replaced no matter what as the board think he is an incredibly talented Manager and will not sack him after 20 games in charge having inherited an awful squad due to mistakes by the 3 previous tenants (and by the board themselves).

For fans to be calling for the head of a manager after 20 games is ludicrous, especially as he's accumulated a season's points equivalent of mid-table security for this poor squad.

I honestly feel sorry for these people. The impatient, gung-ho, selfish, now, now,now attitude is pitying.

My initial response is well thought out but I didn't feel I needed to add any more words, as the message is quite clear.

However, just to be absolutely clear I'll expand on this :

I feel really sorry for certain sections of our fan base who are calling for DM to be replaced after 20 league games!

He's had 20 games with a poor Championship squad. He's collected a points tally which would be the equivalent of 55 points for the season, which would be more than enough for mid-table security, with a poor Championship squad.

All Managers and clubs go on bad runs from time to time. He has had to bring in new players due to the squad being very poor for this level and they will take time to blend in. Yes, we don't have that time, but without his signings we'd be worse off. He will not be replaced no matter what as the board think he is an incredibly talented Manager and will not sack him after 20 games in charge having inherited an awful squad due to mistakes by the 3 previous tenants (and by the board themselves).

For fans to be calling for the head of a manager after 20 games is ludicrous, especially as he's accumulated a season's points equivalent of mid-table security for this poor squad.

I honestly feel sorry for these people. The impatient, gung-ho, selfish, now, now,now attitude is pitying.

Completely agree with this Har but god forbid we did go down, do you think Del should shoulder some responsibility for that? Bearing in mind he was brought in to keep us up?

Completely agree with this Har but god forbid we did go down, do you think Del should shoulder some responsibility for that? Bearing in mind he was brought in to keep us up?

Yes, of course there is an element of responsibility (and I'm sure he'd say the same), but not to the extent that he is completely culpable and should be replaced. That is a ridiculous notion. He's had 20 games and spent £140k on one permanent signing. Is that giving the guy a fair shot?

Yes, of course there is an element of responsibility (and I'm sure he'd say the same), but not to the extent that he is completely culpable and should be replaced. That is a ridiculous notion. He's had 20 games and spent £140k on one permanent signing. Is that giving the guy a fair shot?

Wish you just said that yesterday :laughcont:.

As per the rest then again i agree, anyone calling for the blokes head are clueless. Ill be giving him a year like i do with all our managers - regardless of what division were in next season :city::mafia:

My maths are probably out of sync, but I'm knackered, so I apologise in advance

McInnes has been in charge for 21 games, according to the official site, during which we have amassed 25 points ( we were 12 games and 6 points under Millen)

21/25 = 0.84 pts per gane,

As a average spread over 46 games. that's 39 points (38.64 rounded up), if nothing was to change etc etc. That's relegation form, plain and simple.

It's more than a bad run Harry, and if anything it's the 'new' signings that have been even worse,than the lot that are already here. the team selections, the performances on pitch and so on are considered by some to be no better than Millen's abortive reign

Lots of questions being asked of McInnes and whether it was the right appointment at the moment. He is falling short at present, and needs to start answering those questions, and soon, or his job could well be at stake.

i know it's late but yes, your maths are out.

25 points in 21 games = 1.19 points per game. Multiplied by 46 games would yield 55 points, and certain survival.

Millen's ratio this season was 6 points in 12 games = 0.5 points per game. That would pan out to 23 points and certain relegation, so DM has managed to get better results out of this group of players by a projected 32 points per season.

Yes we're on a bad run, but what did any realistic fan think we could get from those last 6 games. I for one never expected us to get anything away at Reading or Hull, nor anything at home to Leeds or Blackpool. I was hopeful of at least a point v Palace and maybe a point at Peterborough. It's been a tough run in which I'd have been happy with between 2 to 4 points, but we only managed 1.

Looking at our next 6 I'd realistically expect us to pick up anything between 3 and 7 points.

New signings will take while to settle so you can't expect instant results from McManus and Davis. I've not heard many people criticising Foster or Wood. Pearson has scored a couple of important goals and provided the much needed balance everyone was crying out for.

Do people seriously believe that because the results in the last 6 have been poor that DM has not improved the squad with his signings? I'm amazed at some people, honestly.

The guy is nowhere near the sack (whether we go down or not).

The only criticism you can level at DM at the moment is a couple of bad tactical decisions in playing Albert up front and maybe not having the faith in Pitman. Other than that, he's so far done a good job of getting us out of the drop zone having been 6 points from safety when he took the job.

Please can people be patient and stop with the calling for the manager's head after a 6 game bad run. This is ludicrous!!

i know it's late but yes, your maths are out.

25 points in 21 games = 1.19 points per game. Multiplied by 46 games would yield 55 points, and certain survival.

Millen's ratio this season was 6 points in 12 games = 0.5 points per game. That would pan out to 23 points and certain relegation, so DM has managed to get better results out of this group of players by a projected 32 points per season.

Yes we're on a bad run, but what did any realistic fan think we could get from those last 6 games. I for one never expected us to get anything away at Reading or Hull, nor anything at home to Leeds or Blackpool. I was hopeful of at least a point v Palace and maybe a point at Peterborough. It's been a tough run in which I'd have been happy with between 2 to 4 points, but we only managed 1.

Looking at our next 6 I'd realistically expect us to pick up anything between 3 and 7 points.

New signings will take while to settle so you can't expect instant results from McManus and Davis. I've not heard many people criticising Foster or Wood. Pearson has scored a couple of important goals and provided the much needed balance everyone was crying out for.

Do people seriously believe that because the results in the last 6 have been poor that DM has not improved the squad with his signings? I'm amazed at some people, honestly.

The guy is nowhere near the sack (whether we go down or not).

The only criticism you can level at DM at the moment is a couple of bad tactical decisions in playing Albert up front and maybe not having the faith in Pitman. Other than that, he's so far done a good job of getting us out of the drop zone having been 6 points from safety when he took the job.

Please can people be patient and stop with the calling for the manager's head after a 6 game bad run. This is ludicrous!!

You certanily know how to slice and dice someone up with your stats Harry ill give you that. After all stats dont lie :laughcont:.

Fans are getting nervous and rightly so given our form in the last 6 games but as you say Del's average points total thus far will/should see us safe.

Sooner we get that next win the better though but were Bristol City - we always do it that hard way.

Cool, was dividing the other way 21 games divided by 25 points, hence the 21/25 and not the other way around as you've done there

Yup, didnt put the stats for that as Millen hasnt been our manager since October, I got 24 points, rounded up

Realistically, I think most fans would have liked the team to have tried harder, played, better and not get hammered game in, game out without any clue seemingly and certainly bar a virtuoso performance by Pitman, vs Palace. Whether that was win lose or draw. At this stage, I think its the manner of play, the nature of the defeats and the ineptitude on the field and from the tactics that are more the problem. If we had been playing well and losing then I think people would be not as concerned and have more hope, either for being safe or that the corner was being turned. At present we are being humiliated on the pitch, playing well in glimpses and really short spells before folding like a pack of cards, isnt cutting it.

Scoring 3 and conceding 14 over our last 5 isnt what people were expecting, even if we did lose

There has been some criticising Foster on here, re positional awareness, ability, man marking and what not, general concensus seems to be that his speed has spared his blushes on several ocassions but that he really isnt a defender. People point towards his recent Scotland call up as being a blessing. Going on what Scot's fans Ive been talking to, have said the choice was a Morton's Fork. between Him and Broadfoot. He really is not good

Wood's been criticised for being raw, poor first touch and generally just there, by that I mean he hasnt done very much at all considering his reputation at Brum this season, in fact people on here have said why on earth did we sign him over Stead, amongst other critques.

Davis has had one game, was great, but still wasnt enough, especially as we still lost 3-1. Will see what happens at Ipswich before commenting further

Pearson has been utter rubbish since he signed permanently, IMHO He doesnt provide balance because he isnt a Left Winger, Left Mid and is kind of just left of Left Centre Mid, but doesnt do that well either. Balance? please

Yes, they do, the signings that he has made arent that great considering he was doing better when he only had Millen's squad at his disposal, there is some merit to that line of discussion

He's like a rabbit in headlights at the moment, some of the soundbites and interviews that have come out, reek of Ward and Millen, shortly before they gave up the ghost, that is worrying many fans, especially with performances so clueless and impotent like we are producing at present.

I go back to the portion of fans who say we will do a Norwich if we go down, this means we will have to sack the manager after the first game if we are to follow that trend :D but seriously, I think relegation combined with the way things are would probably be enough to see him go sooner than later, unless things change significantly and at present they arent.

There are plenty of criticism's that can be levelled at McInnes at the moment, tactical naivety, no player development at this stage, setting up not to lose, rather than to win (not going gung ho) odd substitions, a poor thus far transfer policy, poor discplinary issues on field, etc etc

Its not just a poor run of 6 games, we've won 3, in 16 matches in all competitions since the end of November, we are now 3 months on with no end in sight and getting worse, with new signings and not getting better or looking like there is any improvement. If that changes, then great, but other than the dead cat bounce, where McInnes got a lot of plaudits, we are now in a position no different when Millen was incharge, yet have wasted a load more cash on players who wont be here at the end of the season, to solve issues rather than look at long standing tactical deficiencies,

Great post - agree with all of it.

I want McInnes to succeed, I want us to start winning and I admire the faith of many on here. The fact is, and most of us have seen it before, this feels like relegation, McInnes is showing all the signs of a man struggling for a plan b or fresh ideas. The board will issue its season ticket plans in the next few days... They wont be flying off the shelf right now will they? They certainly wont if we are relegated. New manager = new optimism = sales. That's not anti-McInnes but just the way modern football is. Sadly, our best hope would seem to be the unfortunate demise of Pompey.

Archived