IGNORED

The Board Is To Blame For This Shambles

One BCFC

For the past 3/4 years this Club has been going down a slow slow hill and is finally near rock bottom...

It has all started since the first season in the Championship, with Lansdown trusting Johnson to put money into players we possibly could not afford, for example Styvar for £800,000?! or around that region of price. Buying players like that we couldn't possibly afford on the wages and in reality a waste of money for even £200,000. Also buying players like this on long term contracts that we cannot move on and therefore the squad has become over sized with mediocre players that simply aren't good enough at Championship level.

We then have the board's consistent focus on a new stadium which has often overshadowed on the field problems that haven't been resolved, this being Managerial decisions, players and coaching staff, everything.

We got rid of Johnson at the time I believe was maybe a little bit too late as he was still buying players that were all a heap of sh&%, we then rush into employing Steve Coppell who clearly recognized the problems at the club and ran off in a hurry.

Keith Millen who then gets the job after a good spell as caretaker is left with all these players who are still under contracts with a massive squad with most being very very average. He brings in Caulker, Pitman and Stead in which all 3 were good signings in reality. I felt that in the first season Millen had done a fantastic job.

We get into this season and it has been turmoil from the very start. Lansdown steps down as chairman and Sexstone takes his place. Maynard should have gone to Leicester at the time for 5 million, as we had Pitman and Stead who had a good partnership up front from the first season, but yet again the board make the wrong decision and decide to keep Maynard and not take the money which could possibly go into the squad and the club. Millen also has a poor start to the season and doesn't play any of the players he bought in the transfer market and inevitably gets the sack. We then employ Del boy, who I never heard of as a manager and we are in a dire dire situation, formations are the problem? yes, players are the problem? yes and the board has just been a complete and utter joke by letting all of this happen and it is quite simply embarassing.

What I'm getting at is, if we had the right board the team would have benefited and none of this would have ever happened. It's embarassing and disgraceful.

Maynard should have gone to Leicester at the time for 5 million, as we had Pitman and Stead who had a good partnership up front from the first season, but yet again the board make the wrong decision and decide to keep Maynard and not take the money which could possibly go into the squad and the club. at is, if we had the right board the team would have benefited and none of this would have ever happened. It's embarassing and disgraceful.

Maynard turned down Leicester, nothing to do with the board

I agree with almost all of this. Aside from the bit that's been pointed out about Maynard, I don't think the board appointing a young manager who'd done a good job elsewhere on a small budget rather than a tried, tested and failed big name was a particularly irrational decision and I think it could still work in the long run.

But I do agree that the club and McInnes and Millen (and, to an extent Coppell, although he added to our problems with Hunt and Stewart) have been hamstrung by the fact we've blown a strong financial situation on poor players, have too many players on long contracts and too much money who aren't good enough and are getting distracted by a protracted stadium row. I also agree Millen deserves more credit for what he did in his first season.

Re Maynard it's tricky and easy to say with hindsight but we put too much faith in him agreeing to sign a contract and should have told him in the Summer to sign or be transfer-listed so we could get as much money from him (I'm sure if we'd made teams aware of his availability bigger fish than Leicester would have come in for him - we wouldn't have got the £6 or £7 million people were talking about but £4 or £5 million wouldn't have been impossible).

I agree with almost all of this. Aside from the bit that's been pointed out about Maynard, I don't think the board appointing a young manager who'd done a good job elsewhere on a small budget rather than a tried, tested and failed big name was a particularly irrational decision and I think it could still work in the long run.

But I do agree that the club and McInnes and Millen (and, to an extent Coppell, although he added to our problems with Hunt and Stewart) have been hamstrung by the fact we've blown a strong financial situation on poor players, have too many players on long contracts and too much money who aren't good enough and are getting distracted by a protracted stadium row. I also agree Millen deserves more credit for what he did in his first season.

Re Maynard it's tricky and easy to say with hindsight but we put too much faith in him agreeing to sign a contract and should have told him in the Summer to sign or be transfer-listed so we could get as much money from him (I'm sure if we'd made teams aware of his availability bigger fish than Leicester would have come in for him - we wouldn't have got the £6 or £7 million people were talking about but £4 or £5 million wouldn't have been impossible).

Yeah I do agree with the fact Maynard wanted a bigger club than Leicester, but I think that we as a club rested our survival and season on him performing to the best of his abilities, yet he didn't succeed and thinking back on it the board should have offered him at least a contract in the summer which im guessing they did, but he obviously didn't accept. Anyway off topic from Maynard cos that's gone now, the board are still here and the board are still making a joke of this club, whereas Maynard isn't.

Archived