IGNORED

Peterborough United Model-Where We Went Wrong

I don't think anyone can deny that Peterborough Utd are overachieving. They were a non-league outfit less than a decade ago but gained rapid promotions through the combination of a high profile (albeit inexperienced manager in Ferguson Junior) and a good scouting network, plucking the very best the non-leagues had to offer, assembling a league 1/championship yo yo side, spending next to nothing.

So the best of the non-leagues gets you a average championship/high league 1 side, what could the best of league 1 and 2 be??? It got me to thinking that most clubs have at least 1 player who is too good for them, in our case it's Albert. I would say he could play at a yo yo prem club sort of level or prehaps with abit of help with his crossing, even a mid table team. Well why not look at the players who are too good for their clubs. Scouting the likes of Wycombe, Chesterfield and Tranmere. They probably all have 1 player who is failing to shine as is surrounded by rubbish players.

If we could find these players we could assemble a side capable of regaining championship status (if we go down which seems ever more likely) or even a push in this league.

In conclusion, what this club lacks is a great or even a good scouting system. We need more, high quality scouts, looking down, as our current scouts only seem to look up.

From our squad the players signed from a league below us once we were a championship side are

M.Elliott

R.Taylor

A.Adomah

Y.Bolasie

D.Gerken

B.Pitman

I'd keep all but Gerken from that list who was way down the pecking order at colchester and should never have been signed.

Lets stop the high paid journey men, and get younger (under 26 at least) players with hunger from the lower leagues.

Peterborough United players from non league

Craig M Smith (scotlands loan striker in the week)

Mclean (regular for hull)

G.Boyd (great play maker)

J.Lewis (former U21 and also been in England senior squad twice though no starts)

I don't think anyone can deny that Peterborough Utd are overachieving. They were a non-league outfit less than a decade ago but gained rapid promotions through the combination of a high profile (albeit inexperienced manager in Ferguson Junior) and a good scouting network, plucking the very best the non-leagues had to offer, assembling a league 1/championship yo yo side, spending next to nothing.

So the best of the non-leagues gets you a average championship/high league 1 side, what could the best of league 1 and 2 be??? It got me to thinking that most clubs have at least 1 player who is too good for them, in our case it's Albert. I would say he could play at a yo yo prem club sort of level or prehaps with abit of help with his crossing, even a mid table team. Well why not look at the players who are too good for their clubs. Scouting the likes of Wycombe, Chesterfield and Tranmere. They probably all have 1 player who is failing to shine as is surrounded by rubbish players.

If we could find these players we could assemble a side capable of regaining championship status (if we go down which seems ever more likely) or even a push in this league.

In conclusion, what this club lacks is a great or even a good scouting system. We need more, high quality scouts, looking down, as our current scouts only seem to look up.

From our squad the players signed from a league below us once we were a championship side are

M.Elliott

R.Taylor

A.Adomah

Y.Bolasie

D.Gerken

B.Pitman

I'd keep all but Gerken from that list who was way down the pecking order at colchester and should never have been signed.

Lets stop the high paid journey men, and get younger (under 26 at least) players with hunger from the lower leagues.

Peterborough United players from non league

Craig M Smith (scotlands loan striker in the week)

Mclean (regular for hull)

G.Boyd (great play maker)

J.Lewis (former U21 and also been in England senior squad twice though no starts)

Just read you first line and you stated that Peterborough was a non leauge outfit just over a decade ago ? Is that true !

I dont know about the facts about peterborough being right or wrong. I think thats is besides the point and not what the posters point actually was.

I agree we should be looking to the lower leagues. They(most of the time) are younger (sell on value) hungrier and dont want £00000's week. Look at the quality of players that teams have signed from the non league. Continuing the posh theme thats where they got A.Maclean,CMSmith and Boyd. Another example is c.smalling a couple years ago he was playing at Maidenhaid now an england international.

I know we dont have the number of non league clubs around us, but we should be looking further afield, i dont know where or how many we scout but we definetley should be looking to the non league more, pretty sure that was the posters original point.

Archived