IGNORED

How Is It Our Side Is Not As Fit As Other Clubs?

hippy273

Look at the likes of Cardiff, Reading or Palace or even a more reasonable championship side and look at the quickness they pass the ball and push forward. How is it we happen to be pretty much the slowest team in the Championship in terms of movement (except for Albert) and passing. If we had a more fast faced side then maybe we could be a more of an attack minded side. At least the opposition wouldn't know what hit them.

I remember watching about Cardiff before the Carling Cup final. Lessons in Yoga? should try something like that with our players...

How is it we happen to be pretty much the slowest team in the Championship in terms of movement (except for Albert) and passing.

I think there's your answer - we've relied on Albert individually far too much under both Millen and McInnes.

Building a team around a player can work, but rarely a winger - the position in question needs to be more central for this tactic to be effective.

I also think that our pre-season preparations since Johnson left have not been effective enough. Too much money has been spent taking the team abroad to ineffective training camps whereas they should've been working here at our own facilities until ready to move onto "the next level" so to speak.

The general fitness of the team has worried me all season. Of the 55 goals that we have conceded this season a whopping 71% has been conceded after half time and 23 have been conceded in the last 20 minutes. Now you could argue that generally in the last 20 minutes we are normally "chasing the game" so therefore are often more open at the back but personally I think fitness plays a major part? Look at the likes of Kilkenny he looks knackered during the warm up???

Personally I think we were miles fitter when Glen Schmidt was knocking them into shape.

It appears that now the fitness coaches are more concerned about them having a mutual "team hug" pre game. Personally I never saw the likes of Gow, Hunter, Merrick and Rodgers having to "warmly embrace" pre game???

Can I also say that the Kunle bloke was "another" of Coppello's top signings - not much of a recommendation now is it.............................................

BRING BACK GLEN AND LETS SEE THEM FIT FOR 95 MINUTES NOT 70 MINUTES!!!!

Look at the likes of Cardiff, Reading or Palace or even a more reasonable championship side and look at the quickness they pass the ball and push forward. How is it we happen to be pretty much the slowest team in the Championship in terms of movement (except for Albert) and passing. If we had a more fast faced side then maybe we could be a more of an attack minded side. At least the opposition wouldn't know what hit them.

I remember watching about Cardiff before the Carling Cup final. Lessons in Yoga? should try something like that with our players...

But Albert is not that fit is he. He's quick of course, but in how many games does he start to blow in the last 20 mins or so. Most I would suggest. He may have natural speed, but his stamina and recovery need improving, a lot. Some players, such as Marv and Skuuuse have amazing stamina and recovery and probably do not need so much work to get them to the level they are at (when not injured of course), but most of the squad do not look as if they are at their peak of athleticism. And given the lack of technical ability in the team, the fitness issue becomes all the more important, especially in the position we find ourselves in. The trouble is getting players fitter and stronger takes time and requires pushing them deeper and deeper into their physical limitations. Which in turn causes fatigue and needs recovery time. At this stage of the season it's not something that can be realistically achieved with such a small squad of players capable of 1st team duty, given the numbers who are injured or carrying niggles.

No coincidence that hard work, desire and fitness nearly got us to the promised land. Say what you want about Johnson but he had the players fit!

Yeah! Probaby why some of the team fell out with him. How dare he ask professional footballers earning large sums to stay fit and train hard. Shame on you David Noble , a n others etc etc

But Albert is not that fit is he. He's quick of course, but in how many games does he start to blow in the last 20 mins or so. Most I would suggest. He may have natural speed, but his stamina and recovery need improving, a lot. Some players, such as Marv and Skuuuse have amazing stamina and recovery and probably do not need so much work to get them to the level they are at (when not injured of course), but most of the squad do not look as if they are at their peak of athleticism. And given the lack of technical ability in the team, the fitness issue becomes all the more important, especially in the position we find ourselves in. The trouble is getting players fitter and stronger takes time and requires pushing them deeper and deeper into their physical limitations. Which in turn causes fatigue and needs recovery time. At this stage of the season it's not something that can be realistically achieved with such a small squad of players capable of 1st team duty, given the numbers who are injured or carrying niggles.

Marv to me is generally a slow beast in midfield anyway, a tackler but not someone i would rely on to bomb forward and score. Too slow for that.

This is something that has always puzzled me. I think actually this comes down to the desperate dash to squander every available penny on wages for players who mightn't be here for very long. You get the impression that football clubs in general aren't very good at getting the best out of many players.

Spending a couple of hundred thousand pounds extra in salaries for employing top end nutritionists, physios, doctors, physical trainers, sport psychologists is not a lot of money in comparison, yet could yield big advances. One each of those 5 would cost you less than 3 journeymen like Campbell-Ryce, Woolford and Taylor.

You can understand why some richer clubs can entice better players with higher wages, why they have better scouting networks, can afford higher transfer fees. But there's no reason why we can't be in better shape than the opposition, and who knows how many points that could gain us in the last 10-15 minutes of games, which is the 15 minute spell when most goals are scored.

Archived