IGNORED

Why Defend When We Can't?

Lew-T

As we all know, 451 doesn't work! We've got that extra man in midfield but we are still conceding 3 every week. I personally think we should just go for it tomorrow and till the end of the season with 442 or 352? Because why defend when we can't?

Yeah with you on this, if we make a change and go for it, but still lose at least he would have tried something knew. Regardless of what all the tactical masterminds state on here, I would not mind at all him going 4-4-2 if it meant we had a good go at it. We can't keep clean sheets so we should try adopt pboro's motto by outscoring the opposition. Granted we won't be able to play as fluid or attacking football, but maybe a direct and more route one approach by delivering the ball into the box quicker would make things happen.

I admit 4-4-2 isn't really my cup of tea, but maybe playing it with a direct approach may work!?

Yeah with you on this, if we make a change and go for it, but still lose at least he would have tried something knew. Regardless of what all the tactical masterminds state on here, I would not mind at all him going 4-4-2 if it meant we had a good go at it. We can't keep clean sheets so we should try adopt pboro's motto by outscoring the opposition. Granted we won't be able to play as fluid or attacking football, but maybe a direct and more route one approach by delivering the ball into the box quicker would make things happen.

I admit 4-4-2 isn't really my cup of tea, but maybe playing it with a direct approach may work!?

At least then we would go down fighting! Because at this very moment, there is no other way.

At least then we would go down fighting! Because at this very moment, there is no other way.

Exactly. I would rather lose 4-2 than 3-0. But I would also hope a different style and approach would bring a change in fortunes. But I am unsure if he will change the system, I think its more likely it will just be the personnel.

We can defend....Southampton home and away, West Ham away. It's all down to confidence. We just need a win and things will change for the better.

Can yes. I would expect any professional club to be able to for the odd game here and there. We haven't had a decent defensive unit in years. Even in the play off season we weren't great at the back were we? Until we get a Shaun Taylor type defender and some organisation we won't be either.

Southampton have scored 62 goals this season and WH 53 yet we restricted them to just a few chances in the three games against us. We can defend and Derek and the boys need to take heart from these performances. McManus could be our Shaun Taylor for the last 12 games. Our season begins tomorrow. Onwards and upwards.

Southampton have scored 62 goals this season and WH 53 yet we restricted them to just a few chances in the three games against us. We can defend and Derek and the boys need to take heart from these performances. McManus could be our Shaun Taylor for the last 12 games. Our season begins tomorrow. Onwards and upwards.

Interesting that Mcgivern played in those 3 games.

When its your day it's your day.Maybe playing the top clubs makes the players concentrate more!? For a long time now we haven't been able to defend. This has been going on since the play off season at least. Keeping a clean sheet against teams like West Ham and Saints means nothing when you go to teams around you like pboro and ship 3.

Happened under GJ, Millen and now Del. Our defenders lack leadership, concentration, ability and organisation. Ultimately not good enough for this level.

How many times under all of these managers have we on countless occasions thrown away single or two goal leads!? I hope McManus can help and that tomorrow is a turning point.

When its your day it's your day.Maybe playing the top clubs makes the players concentrate more!? For a long time now we haven't been able to defend. This has been going on since the play off season at least. Keeping a clean sheet against teams like West Ham and Saints means nothing when you go to teams around you like pboro and ship 3.

Happened under GJ, Millen and now Del. Our defenders lack leadership, concentration, ability and organisation. Ultimately not good enough for this level.

How many times under all of these managers have we on countless occasions thrown away single or two goal leads!? I hope McManus can help and that tomorrow is a turning point.

We will win..we will survive, gotta go now, blokes in coats are commin for me

Exactly the sort of positivity that Mcinnes is calling for today, ahead of tomorrow night's game.

We (the players and the fans) need to bear in mind these facts about performances earlier this season v top clubs in our league.

It's going to be tough. Leicester going well ( I fully expect them to be in the play-offs) and City reeling after a disastrous recent run.

BUT, Always Believe.

I know this sounds crazy, but 4 points from our next two home games this week could change everything.

REMEMBER, this squad did the double over Soton this season.

Anything is possible.

Exactly the sort of positivity that Mcinnes is calling for today, ahead of tomorrow night's game.

We (the players and the fans) need to bear in mind these facts about performances earlier this season v top clubs in our league.

It's going to be tough. Leicester going well ( I fully expect them to be in the play-offs) and City reeling after a disastrous recent run.

BUT, Always Believe.

I know this sounds crazy, but 4 points from our next two home games this week could change everything.

REMEMBER, this squad did the double over Soton this season.

Anything is possible.

ALWAYS BELIEVE, it will get us through..

In terms of defence it's interesting to note that three of the back four which had the best defensive record in the league in our play-off season are fit and available to play. Yes they are a bit older but they are familiar with each others game and didn't the famed Arsenal defence of Adams, Bould , Dixon and Winterbourne get better as they aged. Carey, McAlister and Fontaine and McCombe were the solid back four. I think Mcindoe was crucial in helping out McAlister and , undeniably, our midfield was better which meant the defence was under less pressure. With Noble, Mcindoe, Johnson, Carle and Elliot there were many more goals in the team and more of a creative attacking outlet to assist the strikers as well. The cliche 'best means of defence is attack' perhaps has some merit in it.

Archived