IGNORED

Mr Colin W*****s "ghost Goal" - Observer Sport Page 3 Sunday 11Th March

southvillekiddy

just sent this off to the Editor of the Observer Sport following the untruths in Sundays edition written by Richard Gibson. (page 3 "ghost Goals 6 of the worst") Apparently Mr Colin W*****s views are now believed by all other journalists. Palace's disallowed goal has past into football history as one of the 6 most infamous "ghost goals". I've also complained to the PCC. Please complain as well if you have the time and energy. :

(sorry can't sort out a link to the offending piece)

Richard Gibson

Observer Sport

Dear Richard,

Observer Sport - Sunday 1ith March - report on QPR v Bolton match - insert box concerning 6 "Ghost Goals"

Firstly if you didn't write what I'm calling the "Ghost Goal - Six of the worst "insert box", within your match report, please pass on my comments to them.

The subject of ghost goals is of course an extremely volatile issue within football and all fans, players, managers are incensed when poor refereeing and lack of use of obvious technology means that a result goes against you.

However as a Bristol City fan I have to let you know that there was no "Ghost Goal" from Crystal Palace at Ashton Gate in August 2009. Everyone in the Stadium knew the ball had entered the net and bounced back out of the stanchion, BUT the linesman had signalled for an infringement seconds before Freddie Sears took his shot.

Therefore it was a case of a disallowed goal. Play was stopped and the Refereee disallowed the goal.

The fact that the linesman had signalled was conveniently overlooked by Neil Warnock, the then Crystal Palace manager, and others in the aftermath.

Warnock of course has the advantage of writing his own newspaper column but this does not give him a monopoly on the truth. Indeed he is well known for his over the top haranguing of officials who make decisions, right or wrong, that do not go in favour of the club he is managing

For weeks we had hysterical outbursts from Warnock and Simon Jordan, then Palace manager, in the media, that Bristol City were cheats who should have had the goal awarded or offered to replay the the match. Therefore I hope that whoever wrote the piece about Ghost Goals has not influenced by this hysteria that distorted the truth and events at the match.

I hope that you would agree that being branded cheats in the media without equal means of reply is at least as hurtful as being on the receiving end of a true "Ghost Goal" such as England suffered in the World Cup.

I would be grateful if you would print my comments and a retraction.

Yours sincerely

Calm down calm down. The infringment malarkey is a load of rubbish n has never bin confirmed officially. The refs boss keith Hackett even apologised to palace (and to us later) over the mess.

It should hv bin a goal , was a big blunder and the worst decision iv ever seen live at a match!

Why do ppl get so worked up wen a decision has gone in our favour!

Calm down calm down. The infringment malarkey is a load of rubbish n has never bin confirmed officially. The refs boss keith Hackett even apologised to palace (and to us later) over the mess.

It should hv bin a goal , was a big blunder and the worst decision iv ever seen live at a match!

Why do ppl get so worked up wen a decision has gone in our favour!

If you were there you would have seen the lino's flag go up before Sear's "scored". It wasn't goal.

As GJ correctly pointed out Hackett should never have apologised before the facts were investigated.

Big difference is that Colin W***** writes a newspaper column so unfortunately he's believed, including when he is not telling the truth about our Club.

Get out lots thank you chum.

Maybe you could start caring what's said about your team a bit more

Don't like lies, never have done.

I care plenty m8 I just really cant be arsed worrying about things from years ago, when WE have more important things to worry about right now, both on and off the field.

But if it worries you that much about what the papers say then fair play for you following it up, lots of people moan about things and do nothing about them. I guess your at least having a pop back..

I just cant fathom the reasoning behind it all, as it was so long ago, and the descision went in our favour

I care plenty m8 I just really cant be arsed worrying about things from years ago, when WE have more important things to worry about right now, both on and off the field.

But if it worries you that much about what the papers say then fair play for you following it up, lots of people moan about things and do nothing about them. I guess your at least having a pop back..

I just cant fathom the reasoning behind it all, as it was so long ago, and the descision went in our favour

Fair play to you mate.

Steam comes out my ears when lies are peddled about us. Not nice being in a mythical top 6 of teams benefitting from Ghost Goals not being counted when this was not what happened.

You are right we are fighting like **** now to survive. So I was touched in a raw spot.

Fair play to you mate.

Steam comes out my ears when lies are peddled about us. Not nice being in a mythical top 6 of teams benefitting from Ghost Goals not being counted when this was not what happened.

You are right we are fighting like **** now to survive. So I was touched in a raw spot.

None of us do but as I said alot of people have moved on,

The e-mail you produced is a cracker though

It's also got to be said that we have no clear idea how this type of publicity, though it is in the past, contributes to the build up of an image of our club.

Baffles me why young talented footballers who you would think would find Bristol a paradise to live in do not want to sign for us.

The way people like Mr W***** portray us must have an influence. Check out how he refers to us in the media at every opportunity and how we were referred to on sky sports tv. by the commentators.

Say what you like about GJ but it was always a big thing for him that Bristol City had huge potential. He knew this working nearby at Yeovil, whereas many people in England know jack **** about Bristol's significance as a City in the history of our country. GJ may have said he admired Colin but he didn't take any **** from him.

just sent this off to the Editor of the Observer Sport following the untruths in Sundays edition written by Richard Gibson. (page 3 "ghost Goals 6 of the worst") Apparently Mr Colin W*****s views are now believed by all other journalists. Palace's disallowed goal has past into football history as one of the 6 most infamous "ghost goals". I've also complained to the PCC. Please complain as well if you have the time and energy. :

(sorry can't sort out a link to the offending piece)

Richard Gibson

Observer Sport

Dear Richard,

Observer Sport - Sunday 1ith March - report on QPR v Bolton match - insert box concerning 6 "Ghost Goals"

Firstly if you didn't write what I'm calling the "Ghost Goal - Six of the worst "insert box", within your match report, please pass on my comments to them.

The subject of ghost goals is of course an extremely volatile issue within football and all fans, players, managers are incensed when poor refereeing and lack of use of obvious technology means that a result goes against you.

However as a Bristol City fan I have to let you know that there was no "Ghost Goal" from Crystal Palace at Ashton Gate in August 2009. Everyone in the Stadium knew the ball had entered the net and bounced back out of the stanchion, BUT the linesman had signalled for an infringement seconds before Freddie Sears took his shot.

Therefore it was a case of a disallowed goal. Play was stopped and the Refereee disallowed the goal.

The fact that the linesman had signalled was conveniently overlooked by Neil Warnock, the then Crystal Palace manager, and others in the aftermath.

Warnock of course has the advantage of writing his own newspaper column but this does not give him a monopoly on the truth. Indeed he is well known for his over the top haranguing of officials who make decisions, right or wrong, that do not go in favour of the club he is managing

For weeks we had hysterical outbursts from Warnock and Simon Jordan, then Palace manager, in the media, that Bristol City were cheats who should have had the goal awarded or offered to replay the the match. Therefore I hope that whoever wrote the piece about Ghost Goals has not influenced by this hysteria that distorted the truth and events at the match.

I hope that you would agree that being branded cheats in the media without equal means of reply is at least as hurtful as being on the receiving end of a true "Ghost Goal" such as England suffered in the World Cup.

I would be grateful if you would print my comments and a retraction.

Yours sincerely

Only teachers read The Observer....... they are not real people......

Well seems like everyone is having a dig at what i think was a pretty well written letter with a fair argument.

So, from me at least, good effort Southville and well done for putting in the time. Hope you get a reasoned reply.

And post it on here if you do, please.

Infringement? I thought the ref gave a goal kick thinking the shot had gone wide.

Why did the officials apologise after? Of course Johnson did what he was best at and spun the situation on its head with his usual cockney chatter.

I'm certain the officials **** up and palace were the ones cheated. No?

Infringement? I thought the ref gave a goal kick thinking the shot had gone wide.

Why did the officials apologise after? Of course Johnson did what he was best at and spun the situation on its head with his usual cockney chatter.

I'm certain the officials **** up and palace were the ones cheated. No?

The ref gave a free kick for Sears' pull on the defender not a goal kick and there was no apology from the officials involved in the game afterward.

There was an apology from Hackett reported in the Daily Fail. That was before the match report had been received and in the middle of the media furore, presumably another premature misfire from him.

Well seems like everyone is having a dig at what i think was a pretty well written letter with a fair argument.

So, from me at least, good effort Southville and well done for putting in the time. Hope you get a reasoned reply.

Thanks mates.

I've had an acknowledgement from the Observer Sport editor. Will keep you informed.

Archived