IGNORED

So Much Knowledge From Someone So Young And Far Away

DC Red

Having just become a professional coach, I have just got back from coaching my new U13 boy's team here in the USA.

One of the kids on the team that I met today asked me which team I supported. Of course, I told him that I support City. He then proceeded to talk about Leroy Lita in great detail - I was floored with his knowledge. When I asked him how come he knew so much, he just said that he loved soccer.

Either he was trying to impress his new coach, or I have the American version of Statto Junior on the team.

I thought it was funny to find so much knowledge from many years ago from someone so young and so far removed from Bristol, so I thought I would share it. I am curious to hear if anything like this has ever happened to anyone else.

Awesome - when you consider that American Football, Baseball and Basketball are the three big sports in the USA.

When I was his age, I knew next to nothing about these three US sports, so I am impressed.

I believe Barrack Obama and our David Cameron are attending a Basketball game in Ohio this evening.

Taxi from Washington DC is - Airforce One !!

Awesome - when you consider that American Football, Baseball and Basketball are the three big sports in the USA.

When I was his age, I knew next to nothing about these three US sports, so I am impressed.

I believe Barrack Obama and our David Cameron are attending a Basketball game in Ohio this evening.

Taxi from Washington DC is - Airforce One !!

Your David Cameraman maybe, not mine.

Having just become a professional coach, I have just got back from coaching my new U13 boy's team here in the USA.

One of the kids on the team that I met today asked me which team I supported. Of course, I told him that I support City. He then proceeded to talk about Leroy Lita in great detail - I was floored with his knowledge. When I asked him how come he knew so much, he just said that he loved soccer.

Either he was trying to impress his new coach, or I have the American version of Statto Junior on the team.

I thought it was funny to find so much knowledge from many years ago from someone so young and so far removed from Bristol, so I thought I would share it. I am curious to hear if anything like this has ever happened to anyone else.

Maybe he is a big fan of Romeo Browns?

Fair play though slightly random also massively jealous of you coaching in the USA

My son-in-law is in the US Navy and lives with my daughter and grandkids in Virginia. He is a fully qualified FA Coach which he got over the years and was qualified when he met my daughter in Bahrain. He hails fromTexas but traces his ancestors to Bristol and what appealed to my daughter when they met was he supported BCFC ! He and all my grandkids have gear bought from the City shop and last night on Skype caught him with a 'Return to Ashton Gate' tee-shirt. We are everyhere :yahoo: :yahoo:

Sadly not, over here football is 4th-5th place behind Rugby League, Aussie Rules, Cricket and maybe Union. All they talk about is the EPL which is on Aussie Sky and just nod when you mention there are several leagues below.

The good news was the Cardiff game was live on tv here even if it was at 4am and the result went badly!

The best i can manage is spending a taxi ride home from the city explaining to my Ghanaian driver to keep an eye out for Albert (he hadn't heard of him even though he had his caps already).

Luckily apart from a backpacker when i first got here I've not seen a single gashead which i suppose is a blessing.

In Tony Roma's in The Mall of America (Minneapolis) the server asked where we were from, we said Bristol England, he nodded.

So I asked if he'd heard of Bristol, he said yes... 2 soccer teams City & Rovers, city are the better club, the play in red & AG. He then listed some players. I was blown away with his knowledge.

When I asked how he knew this he said..... he plays loads of Fifa on PS3 and usually plays as City or Rovers, as he liked the name! Weird. Oh and he said he prefered their kit! (no taste!) :)

Thanks for all the stories and comments.

I have been lucky enough to experience and witness the explosion of the game here over the past 12 years. While we may think that the "Beckham" factor has caused a big difference, I actually think the biggest difference has been the explosion in the amount of Premier League TV coverage. It has gone from maybe one Premier League game a week to many Premier League games a week, and even some Championship ones. Comparatively speaking, I think there is much less coverage of Beckham and the MLS.

Out of all of the kids I have seen practicing and have coached in the past five years as a volunteer, not one of them has worn a Beckham shirt. They all seem to wear shirts from Premier League Clubs or Spanish Clubs with Spanish or South American player names on them (e.g. Torres, Aguero, Messi and Suarez seem to be popular).

The game definitely continues to expand here all the time, which was clearly apparent during the last World Cup. I recall there was very little talk of the 2002 World Cup, but in 2010 the coverage and conversation was everywhere.

Yeah it's getting big over there.

When I was in Seattle a few years ago (Freddie ljungberg had just signed) they were getting 25,000 people going to see them and have a noisy and colourful set of fans.

Also driving around California at the same time it wasn't too uncommon to see Chelsea/Man U kits in the backs of car windows.

Also found a few (in Cali) who were extremely knowledgeable on Premier league football, knew more than I did in fact. They loved talking about football and can't get over the atmosphere we create and our passion for it, of course they'd always ask about hooliganism too. Bear in mind it takes some dedication to follow football over there seeing as though the west coast in 7 hours behind UK time...

Man U/City/Chelsea have all stepped up their advances on the US market in recent years and it seems to have worked. Even Cardiff and West Ham have been on tours there recently.

Thanks for all the stories and comments.

I have been lucky enough to experience and witness the explosion of the game here over the past 12 years. While we may think that the "Beckham" factor has caused a big difference, I actually think the biggest difference has been the explosion in the amount of Premier League TV coverage. It has gone from maybe one Premier League game a week to many Premier League games a week, and even some Championship ones. Comparatively speaking, I think there is much less coverage of Beckham and the MLS.

Out of all of the kids I have seen practicing and have coached in the past five years as a volunteer, not one of them has worn a Beckham shirt. They all seem to wear shirts from Premier League Clubs or Spanish Clubs with Spanish or South American player names on them (e.g. Torres, Aguero, Messi and Suarez seem to be popular).

The game definitely continues to expand here all the time, which was clearly apparent during the last World Cup. I recall there was very little talk of the 2002 World Cup, but in 2010 the coverage and conversation was everywhere.

Everytime time I've been to the States, DC, it has been in October. Baseball play offs, college football on a saturday and NFL Sundays and Monday nights.

As far as I can tell I can't see Association Football getting a look in.

How does it do this time of the year, isn't the hockey and basketball seasons now?

How does it do this time of the year, isn't the hockey and basketball seasons now?

At this time of year, it's all about "March Madness", which is the College Basketball playoffs. In fact, Obama just said in a welcoming speech at the White House that David Cameron has agreed to install a hoop at 10 Downing Street. There is a lot of talk about picking brackets. I was even asked in a store yesterday if I was following it and had a bracket, which I don't.

As far as hockey is concerned, while it's certainly popular, my perception is that it's not huge. The season-long strike from a few years ago wouldn't have helped that either.

At this time of year, the kid's spring soccer/football season is about to begin, so the kids are getting energized again, which is always great to see. Our parks are about to become packed with games at weekends and the soccer-mom mobiles are dusting themselves off for a new season.

At this time of year, it's all about "March Madness", which is the College Basketball playoffs. In fact, Obama just said in a welcoming speech at the White House that David Cameron has agreed to install a hoop at 10 Downing Street. There is a lot of talk about picking brackets. I was even asked in a store yesterday if I was following it and had a bracket, which I don't.

As far as hockey is concerned, while it's certainly popular, my perception is that it's not huge. The season-long strike from a few years ago wouldn't have helped that either.

At this time of year, the kid's spring soccer/football season is about to begin, so the kids are getting energized again, which is always great to see. Our parks are about to become packed with games at weekends and the soccer-mom mobiles are dusting themselves off for a new season.

Do boys still get pushed to football as they see soccer as a mainly girls sport or is that changing?

Isn't the baseball season starting a bit early this year, last weekend in March?

Is 'soccer' big in DC? I know it has a majority black population and with the Redskins NFL must be big there?

I'd rank DC as one of the hottest places I've been too, made the mistake of going in August...let's just say you can tell that it was built on a swamp

I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island.

Football is big here. Many of my mates play in active leagues. There is an U21 (I think) called the Victoria Highlanders, they have ties to Stoke.

This is the Vancouver Whitecaps second season in the MLS they have 13k season ticket holders and a large supporter group call the Southsiders. They get around 25,000 per game. MLS has expended this year to include Montreal, so with three Canadian teams and two teams in Seattle and Portland which are drivable, its big in the Pacific Northwest. Big rivalries that draw big crowds. There was over 35,000 for the Seattle v Vancouver game last year.

EPL has blanket coverage on Saturday. 2 games are broadcast live on channels that are included with your basic TV package. Then there is a dedicated SportsWorld the ex-setanta which show the 3rd game. Then all the games are broadcast back to back through Saturday. Then they show the two games Sunday etc.

Its really wall to wall football here. Vancouver Island and the BC lower mainland (to include Vancouver) is a North American hotbed of football.

It may not ever compete with the Basketball, NFL, NHL etc, but its making massive in roads to their fan bases whether they like it or not. Its more mainstream then ever before.

Kids play the game right through till early teens, then they opt for the "more manly" full contact, equipment driven sports.

Unfortunately, the game is viewed by many to be a pussy sport and judging from some of the stuff that goes into the average EPL game its not hard to understand why.

Do boys still get pushed to football as they see soccer as a mainly girls sport or is that changing?

Isn't the baseball season starting a bit early this year, last weekend in March?

Yes, the more athletic kids get pushed into American Football. The smaller kids tend to stay with soccer/football. That said the smaller kids tend to have more skills as they can't rely on athleticism.

Baseball pre-season is going on right now. I believe the first season game in DC is in mid-April.

Is 'soccer' big in DC? I know it has a majority black population and with the Redskins NFL must be big there?

I'd rank DC as one of the hottest places I've been too, made the mistake of going in August...let's just say you can tell that it was built on a swamp

It's growing here and also in the Northern Virginia area, just outside DC where I coach. The Redskins are still the biggest draw, but they have been terrible for way too many years now.

I went to see our local team (DC United) play Ajax a few months ago. They play at RFK Stadium, the old baseball ground. Parts of the crowd were pretty energetic, making one of stands bounce quite a bit, probably like I understand the Dolman did a few years ago when they played the goal music. They also had vendors walking around offering beer, snacks, etc during the game - a very American thing to do at sports events. Couldn't imagine that happening at Ashton Gate (or Ashton Vale for that matter) - everyone would be screaming at them to sit down or get out of the way.

EPL has blanket coverage on Saturday. 2 games are broadcast live on channels that are included with your basic TV package. Then there is a dedicated SportsWorld the ex-setanta which show the 3rd game. Then all the games are broadcast back to back through Saturday. Then they show the two games Sunday etc.

It still gets me though, surely those Saturday/Sunday Premier League games must kick off over there at anywhere from 5.30-10am in the morning. Hardly sociable times? I suppose at least it doesn't clash with their big NFL Sundays.

When i told him i supported City, a new Danish business contact proceeded to name most of the city team and their current form. I asked him how he knew so much and he stated that the Danes in general knew a great deal about English football, and not just the Premire league

It still gets me though, surely those Saturday/Sunday Premier League games must kick off over there at anywhere from 5.30-10am in the morning. Hardly sociable times? I suppose at least it doesn't clash with their big NFL Sundays.

Not the most sociable times, but it really works. Here on the pacfic coast we are 8 hours behind, so recording is the way forward for the early kick off games. But the 3 oclock game is 8 in the morning, not so bad, usually not much going on that time of the morning. The midweek kick off games start around 1145, pubs are open.

The good thing is it doesnt clash with anything else. Get the footer done and dusted by early doors. To be honest I dont watch much EPL, I will catch a game or two a week.

I may live in England but I'm actually a huge Toronto Blue Jays Fan, A Toronto MapleLeafs Fan, A Pittsbugh Steelers Fan, and a Atlanta Falcons Fan so people do support other teams around The World but your story is incredible that's for sure.

You're always going to be disappointed by following the Atlanta Falcons, believe me. On the other hand, I supposed we're both used to that sort of thing anyway.

I remember a season long strike in baseball in the mid-90's - I didn't know there was an NHL strike too. We sadly lost the Atlanta Thrashers franchise to Winnipeg late last year (now known as the Winnipeg Jets). I do miss going to those games.

Archived