IGNORED

Atl Bilbao

Northampton Red

Just shows what you can do with local lads

Bilbao can only play Basques, or players with Basque parents or grand parents, certainly diminishes their choice of player, Shows what good coaching can do.

So how well do people reckon Man Yoo would do if they could only pick players who (or their parents or Grand Parents) come from say Lancashire and Yorkshire. Kind of puts int perspective how well run Bilbao are in terms of tactics and coaching

Bilbao fans give Ryan Giggs a good round of applause as he's subbed off, nice touch.

What were they applauding exactly?

Let's not forget that Giggs shagged his brother's wife and so is an immoral worm of a man.

Being a bit of a decent footballer doesn't make up for it.

Just shows what you can do with local lads

Bilbao can only play Basques, or players with Basque parents or grand parents, certainly diminishes their choice of player, Shows what good coaching can do.

So how well do people reckon Man Yoo would do if they could only pick players who (or their parents or Grand Parents) come from say Lancashire and Yorkshire. Kind of puts int perspective how well run Bilbao are in terms of tactics and coaching

Bielsa is a top, top coach, passionate about the game. His Chilean side in the last World Cup were a joy to watch playing his version of 3-4-3 and desparately unlucky not to go further in the competition. Plenty of 'grit, determination, and hard work' as stated by the OP but also plenty of skill and tactically superb.

Being exiled in Madrid I have had the opportunity to see most Spanish sides this season while supporting Rayo Vallecano, a bonkers club with the best fans I've ever witnessed. Of all the sides I've seen so far Athletic were the most attractive to watch and, without exception (including Ronaldo) have the player who produced the best performance I have seen in Llorente.

Rayo have a fantastic attacking midfielder called Michu who would be perfect for City (if a tad languid sometimes) and a better version of Albert called Lass. We would do well to harvest quality like this from smaller sides like Rayo who have minimal finances.

I'm looking forward to the Barca game but Rayo quadruple their prices against the top two, as do most sides here.

Hasta luego.

Being exiled in Madrid I have had the opportunity to see most Spanish sides this season while supporting Rayo Vallecano, a bonkers club with the best fans I've ever witnessed. Of all the sides I've seen so far Athletic were the most attractive to watch and, without exception (including Ronaldo) have the player who produced the best performance I have seen in Llorente.

Rayo have a fantastic attacking midfielder called Michu who would be perfect for City (if a tad languid sometimes) and a better version of Albert called Lass. We would do well to harvest quality like this from smaller sides like Rayo who have minimal finances.

I'm looking forward to the Barca game but Rayo quadruple their prices against the top two, as do most sides here.

Hasta luego.

How odd. Also in Madrid (near) and used to have a season ticket for Rayo. Saw them beat Barcelona a few years back!

Glad finally Man United have been taken down a peg or two. Hate Ferguson's cockyness and finally just deserts came around!

I was reading Man U'seless Fan's Forum as they were getting tanked - what a joy to hear them squirm and gripe.... yet again!

We'd be ok If our players had just half the work-rate and skills of Athletico Bilbao.

I was reading Man U'seless Fan's Forum as they were getting tanked - what a joy to hear them squirm and gripe.... yet again!

We'd be ok If our players had just half the work-rate and skills of Athletico Bilbao.

If our players had half the skill of the bilbao players we'd be Man U :D

Shows this whole PL is the best league in the world to be complete bollocks, the team currently in 7th in La Liga just humiliated the team top of the PL, and the team in second couldn't get past a side who are 4th in a second rate league.

Just watched the excellent Bilbao stick 4 in at Schalke despite not actually playing that well. Got me thinking about them. They are directly comparable to us in a lot of ways.

Bilbao is a port with a similar population to Bristol, the largest city in an area similar in size and population to the West Country. Despite these similarities they have won La Liga 8 times and the Spanish Cup 23 times. They've done this almost exclusively with players from that area. Importantly, they are owned by their fans (Socios). Presidents are elected.

We've won no major honours and its 100 years since we came anywhere near. Maybe we have something to learn from them.

Seems to me that their policy of keeping things local has focused the whole culture of the club on making the most of what they have. Their player development must be superb.

We could do a lot worse than copying a lot of what they have done.

We can learn a hell of a lot from them.

Their "cantera" academy policy is invaluable to them because their rules are that you can only play for them if you are a Basque or if you grew up and received your education there.

They therefore concentrate a huge scouting network over the whole of their eligible area, (the equivalent to Gloucestershire to Cornwall for us) and sign and coach kids from 9 to be their future first team.

Against Man U 13 of their squad had come through their academy!!!! The other 3 were Basques they had bought fom other sides.

Imagine if our academy system was half as efficient as that.........

Just watched the excellent Bilbao stick 4 in at Schalke despite not actually playing that well. Got me thinking about them. They are directly comparable to us in a lot of ways.

Bilbao is a port with a similar population to Bristol, the largest city in an area similar in size and population to the West Country. Despite these similarities they have won La Liga 8 times and the Spanish Cup 23 times. They've done this almost exclusively with players from that area. Importantly, they are owned by their fans (Socios). Presidents are elected.

We've won no major honours and its 100 years since we came anywhere near. Maybe we have something to learn from them.

Seems to me that their policy of keeping things local has focused the whole culture of the club on making the most of what they have. Their player development must be superb.

We could do a lot worse than copying a lot of what they have done.

They go to Barca the weekend, should be a cracker.

Its extraordinary and almost unique that A Bilbao use Basque players exclusively in their team..it makes for an incredibly loyal fan base which voted at 76% that they would rather be relegated than change that policy. They regard themselves as a separate nation to the rest of Spain and are fiercly nationalistic. With Barcelona and R Madrid I believe they are the only teams never to be relegated form the Spanish Premier League. It reminds me in a tenuous way of Jock Steins Celtic team which won the European Cup.........every player in that Celtic team were born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow....... an incredible fact and one that will never be repeated.......unless Athletico win the Champions League in the future. It must be great to support a team which truly comes from where you live.....especially if their successful.

Its extraordinary and almost unique that A Bilbao use Basque players exclusively in their team..it makes for an incredibly loyal fan base which voted at 76% that they would rather be relegated than change that policy. They regard themselves as a separate nation to the rest of Spain and are fiercly nationalistic. With Barcelona and R Madrid I believe they are the only teams never to be relegated form the Spanish Premier League. It reminds me in a tenuous way of Jock Steins Celtic team which won the European Cup.........every player in that Celtic team were born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow....... an incredible fact and one that will never be repeated.......unless Athletico win the Champions League in the future. It must be great to support a team which truly comes from where you live.....especially if their successful.

A bit like the old Yorkshire cricket policy.

It's fortunate for Bilbao that lots of Basques emigrated to South America where they settled in football hotbeds like Argentina and Uruguay. Those overseas Basques are eligible for their team too.

Archived