IGNORED

We Need Another Tony Rougier

fulham red

What we need is another Tony Rougier. Remember the effect he had on our 2003-4 season? If I remember rightly he came in as a loan signing late in the season when our promotion push was stuttering, and revitalised the team with energy, a bit of passion and desire. Everyone seemed lifted by him, and it wasnt just skill, it was effort, attitude and commitment. He nearly pushed us over the line. Darn the Brighton final - stall carry the scars. Still, I'm just hoping one of these loan signings today will do the same job.

Found that quote..

"We'll give every ounce of blood and sweat on Wednesday, and you don't come into my house and disrupt my family. That certainly won't be happening on Wednesday."

He didnt want to play in the play off final because it was on a Sunday and it went against his religous beliefs. However he was made to play and had a stinker that day he obviously didnt want to be there. I'm sure if that game had been on the Saturday he would have played his normal game and we would have won. Shame up till that game he was a class act

I liked rougier, always gave his all and a class act. How long was he here for? Remember at Barnsley a few years ago when he scored, think we won that game 2-0.

Was up there myself, we won it 0-1 and he scored the only goal. At the far end from the edge of the area I think.. Rouge was amazing for us while he was here, we also had huge games in the run-in like home to Plymouth and QPR and he was definitely motm in both even though Roberts kept scoring the winners haha. Class signing lets hope Ephraim can provide something similar!

3 deadline day signings Darren Caskey, Rougier and Murray. I was so excited that day...yesterday almost reminded me of that day just not as excited

I remember that Barnsley match with Murray and Caskey warming up thinking if we get a free kick near their penalty area then Caskey would surely score!

Those deadline signings were amazing & yes, like other posters here, are remembered very fondly.

I remember Rougier terrorizing our back four when he played at the Gate for Brentford and still remember how someone with that much talent is doing playing at this level.

He was a tank, you just couldn't get the ball off him.

He won us that Tykes game almost single handidly

Only Anyinsah has come anywhere near him for style of player since IMO and look how far he's sunk

I remember that Barnsley match with Murray and Caskey warming up thinking if we get a free kick near their penalty area then Caskey would surely score!

Those deadline signings were amazing & yes, like other posters here, are remembered very fondly.

I remember Rougier terrorizing our back four when he played at the Gate for Brentford and still remember how someone with that much talent is doing playing at this level.

He was a tank, you just couldn't get the ball off him.

He won us that Tykes game almost single handidly

Only Anyinsah has come anywhere near him for style of player since IMO and look how far he's sunk

anyinsah doesn't play proffesionally anymore does he??

Didn't he come out with some great quotes while here, one in particular that I now can't remember at all :D

We needed Sheffield Wednesday to beat QPR to help our chances of automatic promotion, and an interviewer asked Rougier if he knew any Sheffield Wednesday players that he could phone and give some words of encouragement to. Rougier replied something like "I don't know any Sheffield Wednesday players, but I do know God and I’ll be speaking to him”

Scott Murray was talking about Rougier before the play-off final and said they were chatting in the bath after the Hartlepool game. Murray said something like “well I really thought we’d lost that”, and Rougier looks at him in amazement before repeatedly splashing his face with water and shouting “you’ve got to believe, YOU’VE GOT TO BELIEEEEEVE!”

Another good quote was “I think God must be a footballer too”

Spookily my dad is in touch with Tony Rougier through work.He sent Tony the link to this thread this morning,emailed back saying it made his day seeing all the messages and wanted his thanks passed on.

Wished City well for rest of the season and would love to be in the stadium again.Few more with his attitude these days wouldn't go amiss for sure!

Remember him very well, and liked him. I remember him coming on as a sub against Plymouth at 0-0, getting the crowd going and eventually we won 1-0. You don't see players like this anymore - Pace, Power, Fans favourite, Entertaining and 100%er.

You do see players like this....just not with us

Didn't he score in the 1-1 draw away to Hartlepool in the playoffs in 2004? Also remember Phillips giving away a stonewall penalty but the ref gave a corner!!

That was a long drive....

Yeah he scored up there,back post header in something like the 5th minute. Was watching on the big screen under the Dolman stand haha thought we were gonna cruise it after that!! Seem to remember Phillips was literally amazing for us that day, saved everything apart from their goal which was a stupid breakdown between him and ?Butler leaving them with an open goal. What a brilliant semi though...

Archived