IGNORED

Missing Caulker

Ashton1

im certain we would of gone down without him last year and the millens inability to replace him last summer was a joke. his targets were completely unrealistic and if he had a list it was too damn short. our scouting of the lower leagues (albert aside) since we got promoted has been a farce.

a club like ours should of been looking to cherry pick the best players from L1 and L2 whilst in the championship and i simply refuse to beleive there arent any gems out there. bar a handful of clubs in the bottom two divisions players at most clubs would of loved to join us for a better standard and more money. but it wont be as easy when we are one of them - never mind, its increasingly looking like we'll get plenty of opportunities to scout L1 players next season!!!!!!

Swansea didn't half miss caulker today after conceding two headers in the box !

Bloody hell have we missed him this season !

In a great many games last season he was the best player on the pitch, he was far too good for the Championship and the Premier League is his true level. When he matures he'll be an England stalwart.

Easily the most naturally talented centre half I've seen at AG.

Any team outside the top 5 or 6 in the prem would miss such a composed and consistent performer as Caulker. He'll go very far and we were very lucky to have seen him in the red shirt.

Absolutely. To be as dominant as he was at 18 years old?!

Attacking players can come through at that age, but how many centre-halves come through and play in the Prem at 19?!

Rio Ferdinand is one, but there aren't many others.

Absolutely. To be as dominant as he was at 18 years old?!

Attacking players can come through at that age, but how many centre-halves come through and play in the Prem at 19?!

Rio Ferdinand is one, but there aren't many others.

I don't think he had one bad game for us, which signifies just how good he is. He should already be in the full England side as there is an apparent risk he could choose Scotland. That would be a travesty.

I can only hope that we can find more future england players through the loan market... Fantastic player.

I don't think he had one bad game for us, which signifies just how good he is. He should already be in the full England side as there is an apparent risk he could choose Scotland. That would be a travesty.

I can only hope that we can find more future england players through the loan market... Fantastic player.

I've told everyone who will listen that he'll be in the England World Cup squad in 2014.

But I also said that Leroy Lita was better than Darren Bent, so what do I know?!

im certain we would of gone down without him last year and the millens inability to replace him last summer was a joke. his targets were completely unrealistic and if he had a list it was too damn short.

I don't see that trying for Billy Jones from Preston last January for £500,000 was unrealistic, bearing in mind that he was out of contract at the end of the season.

The fact that WBA then came in at the end of the season was something we couldn't compete with.

Caulker for another season was another possibility, but again Premier League football with Swansea ruled that out.

The normal criticism is that we target players of too low a quality, but it seems whatever level we go for is wrong in someones eyes.

I don't see that trying for Billy Jones from Preston last January for £500,000 was unrealistic, bearing in mind that he was out of contract at the end of the season.

The fact that WBA then came in at the end of the season was something we couldn't compete with.

Caulker for another season was another possibility, but again Premier League football with Swansea ruled that out.

The normal criticism is that we target players of too low a quality, but it seems whatever level we go for is wrong in someones eyes.

Good points squire. Probably another reason why a relatively small club like us will always need a gaffer with gravitas if we are to recruit the best. Millen was never that and we cannot judge Del's signings just yet because I believe he has been tasked with a holding job until the end of this campaign and we can have that clear out. Time will tell very soon if that policy has worked.

Definitely - not replacing him was a mistake everyone saw, most of us know that he saved our season, when we knew he would not return how we didn't bring in another class CD is a mystery.

Not really a mystery. We had an incompetent buffoon as a manager who then went on and gave Carey another 1 year contract.

We could all see it before the first ball of the season was kicked, except for Keith Millen......still cant believe it now

I think if millen was still in charge, he would still be scratching his head, rather than bring in a centre back.

It was so obvious we needed a dominant centre half, but he obviously didnt think it was a priority, because he would have brought one in. People can say he offered deals to this player and that. But a summer is long enough for players to reject a offer and for us to move on to other targets and get one signed - espicially when he had a "list of players" he wanted.

I think if millen was still in charge, he would still be scratching his head, rather than bring in a centre back.

It was so obvious we needed a dominant centre half, but he obviously didnt think it was a priority, because he would have brought one in. People can say he offered deals to this player and that. But a summer is long enough for players to reject a offer and for us to move on to other targets and get one signed - espicially when he had a "list of players" he wanted.

Imagine the dvd collection the players would have aswell!!!

Not really a mystery. We had an incompetent buffoon as a manager who then went on and gave Carey another 1 year contract.

We could all see it before the first ball of the season was kicked, except for Keith Millen......still cant believe it now

Oh no, not Carey! Our, er, most consistent defender this season. That was one of the few wise decisions he made. Persisting with Nyatanga was a more typical blunder.

Funny this topic shold come up because I was only discussing this on Saturday..

It was plain for all to see that his arrival last season shored up the back BIG TIME and stopped us leaking goals which enabled us to move on and out of trouble ...therefore it was also VERY CLEAR that losing him at end of season meant a big hole to fill...and this is where it all started to go wrong

I think the club were complete fools in having belief that he would sign for us again last summer, despite his comments about "would not mind coming back" etc and I believe that "hope" held back our search for a replacement ...something which has still not been adressed this season at all....even now with 6 games left we are relying on loanees to shore up a defence which has leaked goals all season long, a leak that dictates us having to have extra midfielder to cover which in turn means not being able to play two up front etc etc......

If the club had put all its efforts behind finding Caulkers replacement from the start rather than sitting with crossed fingers then I honestly dont think we would be where we are now

It

Oh no, not Carey! Our, er, most consistent defender this season. That was one of the few wise decisions he made. Persisting with Nyatanga was a more typical blunder.

Hardly consistent, he's only played half the games at most surely? And even so....being one of our best defenders this year is hardly an achievement.

Carey should have been replaced with a strong, commanding centre half, who was a few years younger.

Carey fair play to him....City legend for his appearance total....but past it, and was past it at the end of last season.

Agree with Nyatanga....he is barely League 1 standard

Hardly consistent, he's only played half the games at most surely? And even so....being one of our best defenders this year is hardly an achievement.

Carey should have been replaced with a strong, commanding centre half, who was a few years younger.

Carey fair play to him....City legend for his appearance total....but past it, and was past it at the end of last season.

We'd have been even more in the sh1te had he been let go. He makes the most of his experience as was shown by the fact he was MotM on Saturday.

This is his last season I'd have thought, but in terms of contribution, well, I think you're picking on the wrong defender.

We'd have been even more in the sh1te had he been let go. He makes the most of his experience as was shown by the fact he was MotM on Saturday.

This is his last season I'd have thought, but in terms of contribution, well, I think you're picking on the wrong defender.

If we go down he would be a valuable player to have in the squad. Infact, he'd probably be a show in to start... But, we need to look to the future at some point.

Just thought I'd let you boys know that I tweeted a link of this topic to Stevie Caulker to let him know how highly us lot rate him and how much of a travesty it would be if he chose Scotland over England.

He replied just know with;

@stevencaulker91: @Jonny_Bradbeer Thanks! Nice comments.

Although it isn't an essay! It's good to know that he still thinks of us.

I personally can't wait to see him given his chance at Spurs! I can understand his frustrations regarding the England situation as it is hard for him to get ahead of Ferdinand, Terry, Jagielka, Lescott, Cahill, Jones & Smalling. Although he could join this cluster of names if given a chance at Spurs next season and performs as well as we all know that he can!!

Archived