IGNORED

Accept Our Fate And Move On

SecretSam

Troubles come in 3s...I knew when I heard that I might lose my job, then my Father in Law got ill, that number 3 was on its way...and it looks like it could be relegation, which when compared to nos 1 and 2 is not such a disaster.

So let's use this as an opportunity: clear out, bring through what we can from the kids, take stock and prepare to move up. But there is so much work to be done:

1. KEEP DEL. Part of the reason for the mess we are in was chopping and changing managers (not really our fault in the case of Copout).

2. Refresh playing squad - goes without saying. Clear out and move on. FFS get rid of the long servers who can't cut it any more - sadly this includes Carey. DJ a mistake that should never have been made.

3. Sort out the stadium situation - it's becoming a distraction and fast losing altitude. If we can't put a football stadium on there, then we should allow SL to build something else, like a Pikey encampment or whatever

4. Sort out the backroom team - coaches at AG have been a joke for too long. We should have kept Wigley in my opinion, proven record with bringing kids through

5. And last - but not least - we fans have to be realistic. Our expectations were raised too high by our first season in the Championship, we need to be more realistic about what we can achieve.

Frankly, right now relegation doesn't seem so bad in the grand scheme of things...

Agreed. Need to improve our scouting system as well.

Promotion is a must next season. Despite the shit of this season we should be challenging for automatic promotion next year.

If we stay up we should stablise and aim for a few mid table seasons demaning automatic promotion is a joke,

if we go down we should challange for the play-offs and keep in touch with the top a season of rebuilding is needed don't expect too much whatever league we are in

We need to be come stable again off field thats why Johnson had such sucsess

Promotion is a must next season. Despite the shit of this season we should be challenging for automatic promotion next year.

Agree on the scouting. We need to be realistic about next season if we go down - I think promotion might be beyond us. Nice safe season of rebuilding.

That should be 2nd on the list IMO, as it is vital for a club to have knowledge of players all over the country, especially as it will be a waste of time having an academy now.

It wouldn't take a lot, 5 - 7 scouts at the most, probably cost a couple of grand a week, much better investment than a 10k - 15k pw 1st team flop.

To have just 1 person as a scouting network is a disgrace and the problem should have been sorted years ago.

The Academy needs a good overhaul as well, why aren't we bringing players through?.

As I have said before, for health reasons, I have convinced myself that we are going down, better to prepare for a shock/disaster/problem, rather than it come on suddenly and if we do escape............imagine how happy I will be.............I was buzzing for 30 mins when we were 1-0 up at Boro but deep down I knew we would not win, so it wasn't such a knock when they equalised.

BCAGFC

That should be 2nd on the list IMO, as it is vital for a club to have knowledge of players all over the country, especially as it will be a waste of time having an academy now.

It wouldn't take a lot, 5 - 7 scouts at the most, probably cost a couple of grand a week, much better investment than a 10k - 15k pw 1st team flop.

To have just 1 person as a scouting network is a disgrace and the problem should have been sorted years ago.

The Academy needs a good overhaul as well, why aren't we bringing players through?.

BCAGFC

We have more then one scout,

If we do go down then call me mad but I wouldn’t want to bounce straight back up again. With the players we still have in contract and with SL reluctant to spend any serious money on good players, coming straight back up would mean another season like this one I’m afraid, (you don’t enter a mini into a Porsche race, and you can’t compete in the Championship with L1 standard players!) and I really want to banish this season from my mind for ever, as it’s been 99% misery.

Bring in some young hungry kids over 2 or 3 seasons, (I’d prefer some big money signings but know it isn’t going to happen!) then when they’ve all gelled then come back up with a strong enough team to ensure we don’t have another relegation struggle.

No it's not. We're going to need some serious rebuilding next season. I just want to see some pride in the shirt again, and if that means a gutting of the playing staff and a season of stabilising then so be it. I'd put some serious money on us not bouncing back at the first attempt.

Frankly, right now relegation doesn't seem so bad in the grand scheme of things...

I have to disagree.

Championship football is where we want to be whilst rebuilding.

I fear that if/when we surrender our Championship status our club will be so flat and devoid of quality that a mid to lower table finish is all that can be expected in Division One.

The club has totally lost all it's drive over the last 18 months, and it's a massive disappointment that we will be back to where we were prior to Gary Johnsons arrival.

You say relegation may not seem so bad. I think it is:

Walsall, Brentford, Hartlepool, Colchester, Notts County, S****horpe?

or

Wolves, West Ham, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Nottingham Forest and Leeds?

I think it took something like 10 years to recover from our last relegation from the second tier of English football. I fear it could be as long a wait again.

Come on City. Show some fight, show some pride!

I have to disagree.

Championship football is where we want to be whilst rebuilding.

I fear that if/when we surrender our Championship status our club will be so flat and devoid of quality that a mid to lower table finish is all that can be expected in Division One.

The club has totally lost all it's drive over the last 18 months, and it's a massive disappointment that we will be back to where we were prior to Gary Johnsons arrival.

You say relegation may not seem so bad. I think it is:

Walsall, Brentford, Hartlepool, Colchester, Notts County, S****horpe?

or

Wolves, West Ham, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Nottingham Forest and Leeds?

I think it took something like 10 years to recover from our last relegation from the second tier of English football. I fear it could be as long a wait again.

Come on City. Show some fight, show some pride!

I know what you're trying to say but the first line could be 12 - 15 points but with out current squad and with SL in no mood to buy us any Championship standard players, the second line of matches maybe 2 - 3 points. Do we really want to go through that again? and how can we rebuild in the Championship when SL won't buy good enough players for us to survive.

we have 1 chief scout and about 12 or 13 part time scouts

Well if that is true, and with all due respect to you, I very much doubt it is (any evidence), then they are not doing their jobs and should be replaced ASAP with competent people................end of.

BCAGFC

Well if that is true, and with all due respect to you, I very much doubt it is (any evidence), then they are not doing their jobs and should be replaced ASAP with competent people................end of.

BCAGFC

I know a chap who's worked in scouting and that sounds about right, scouts aren't always direct employees of the clubs but do work for particular managers when asked... That's how I understood it anyway.

I know what you're trying to say but the first line could be 12 - 15 points but with out current squad and with SL in no mood to buy us any Championship standard players, the second line of matches maybe 2 - 3 points. Do we really want to go through that again? and how can we rebuild in the Championship when SL won't buy good enough players for us to survive.

We can't rely on some beneficiary to keep us afloat, we have to learn to be self-sufficient, which means a good academy and a good scouting network, and taking a chance on players from lower leagues, like Albert. Otherwise, there's plenty of lessons out there for how it can all go wrong, eg Pompey to name one...

I know a chap who's worked in scouting and that sounds about right, scouts aren't always direct employees of the clubs but do work for particular managers when asked... That's how I understood it anyway.

We should have directly employed scouts, not somebodys leftovers or someone who does it part time, they have no motivation to do well.

Our scouts should be hungry and eager to find the players for our club to progress, not use us as a 2nd thought as Pete Johnson did.

BCAGFC

That's how I understood it - you say to them "I'm looking for such and such a type of player, no-one too old, needs to be quick but doesn't need to be so good at XYZ, we can teach him that..." and off he goes and lets you know if he finds anyone suitable, and gets a cut if the player signs, no doubt

Archived