IGNORED

Scott Mathieson - Mondays Referee

Olé

Hasn't refereed Coventry for five years, these are his only recent games for us, from what I can see hasn't refereed at Ashton Gate before:

2011/12

Watford Away (2-2) - 1 booking (Watford)

2010/11

Burnley Away (0-0) - 5 bookings (McAllister, Rose, and Amougou for Burnley) also awarded Burnley a penalty when Danny Haynes fouled their player in the box and waved play on when Stead brought down by Amougou clear through on goal

2009/10

Ipswich Away (0-0) - 2 bookings (Williams) and disallowed a late Ipswich goal for going in direct from a throw-in

Blackpool Away (1-1) - 4 bookings (Carey, Sproule, Hartley, Akinde) on Sky TV

He's only given 2 red cards this season, 1 in the East Midlands derby on Sky to the Derby keeper after only 3 minutes (Forest converted the penalty) and 1 to Plymouth defender when they were knocked out of the cup by Stourbridge.

Has given 5 penalties, 88 yellows and 2 straight reds in 36 games - so apparently a referee who keeps his cards in his pocket.

Fortunately his relaxed interpretation of the rules didn't cost us..

The keeper slipped when Andre scored as he had just pushed Stead and lost his footing,

The Coventry player should have at least been cautioned for the tackle on Stead ( I was too far away to see anymore!!)

Brett's red card -probably right., but he was over reliant on his linesmen (Asst refs!!) today - mainly because he was in the wrong position.

He wasn't brilliant, but not nearly as bad as some of the officials we've had this season.

We've had some absolute stinkers go against us this season, but I can't help but feel sorry for the referees, there clearly aren't enough good ones coming through, and it's not their fault if they're not good enough, they only get one look after all...

Don't know what you are talking about. Ref was best man on the pitch dispite disallowing our fourth goal.

Well done Sir!

I hope that's Scandavian sarcasm....

He was terrible, far too lax with his whistle and was inconsistent with his decisions. (Shoulder to shoulder is not a foul.. unless you wear a BCFC shirt!!)

Undoubtedly one of the better ones this season.

As for being over reliant on his linesmen, I thought that it was a nice change to have a ref that actually respected their fellow professionals to trust in their abilities to spot fouls etc, rather than over rule them at every opportunity.

Undoubtedly one of the better ones this season.

As for being over reliant on his linesmen, I thought that it was a nice change to have a ref that actually respected their fellow professionals to trust in their abilities to spot fouls etc, rather than over rule them at every opportunity.

Spot on about the linos. Very little in football more irritating than watching a linesman wait to see what the ref gives (often from much further away) for a straightforward throw in or goal kick/corner kick decision. As fans we might think (often rightly so!) that officials get a lot wrong, but why even have linesmen if the ref doesn't allow them to make any decisions? It's always annoyed me.

Archived