IGNORED

Lansdown Needs To Avoid This Relegation Mire Next Season...

Mr Mosquito

Surely we have to be careful with those sort of mass changes though? Look at what happened at Rovers a young manager who has done well at the level they are at, brings in a dozen new players and people expect them to gel immediately. That worked didn't it? Like I have said on other posts there are players with attributes we need within the squad, they need to indoctrinated into the Managers philosophy and need to build their confidence, yes we need some strengthening and will lose some players OOC, but nucleus of a squad is there.

Indeed, but the Gas bought a job lot of 'bargain basement' players and that's why they're stuck in the basement division. If we could sign a few Premier League standard players in the close season that could be enough to make us play-off contenders at least.

Indeed, but the Gas bought a job lot of 'bargain basement' players and that's why they're stuck in the basement division. If we could sign a few Premier League standard players in the close season that could be enough to make us play-off contenders at least.

If we do stay up, we need a much smaller squad, use the kids and as you say sign some quality. We are in this mire because we have continued to buy poor players on high money rather than looking at what we need and putting more into that player than 2 that are of poor quality.

This situation shows how the club doesnt utilise youth development properly! Young players such as Bryan, Edwards, Wilson, Bobby Reid, Ryan Taylor and Riberio need to be given a chance imo! We cant keep going out and buying journeyman pro's. Those sort of players added with Adomah and Bolasie mixed with some experienced players like Stead, Skuse. Bikey, Carey and Gerken is the way forward! We havent got the finance as a club to completely rebuild the squad, so maybe signing 3 real quality players instead of a mass over haul would be better! I just want to see how our younger players would do otherwise why bother having them here? Plus that decreases wages! Youth works it just needs to be given a chance! I for one am sick of loans and high earning free transfers! As proven this season its a nightmare!

This situation shows how the club doesnt utilise youth development properly! Young players such as Bryan, Edwards, Wilson, Bobby Reid, Ryan Taylor and Riberio need to be given a chance imo! We cant keep going out and buying journeyman pro's. Those sort of players added with Adomah and Bolasie mixed with some experienced players like Stead, Skuse. Bikey, Carey and Gerken is the way forward! We havent got the finance as a club to completely rebuild the squad, so maybe signing 3 real quality players instead of a mass over haul would be better! I just want to see how our younger players would do otherwise why bother having them here? Plus that decreases wages! Youth works it just needs to be given a chance! I for one am sick of loans and high earning free transfers! As proven this season its a nightmare!

I totally agree with you about our youth players added with Adomah and Bolasie mixed with some experienced players like Stead, Skuse, Bikey, Carey and Gerken being the way forward. Perhaps Del and Doc are reluctant to throw in the BCFC youth into what is a relegation couldron. If we were safe from relegation I reckon they may have tried blooding more of our youth players. Who knows? I'd still go for a few experienced Premier League class players to bolster the squad next season, players like what Paul Hartley and Dele Adebola were would be great additions.

I totally agree with you about our youth players added with Adomah and Bolasie mixed with some experienced players like Stead, Skuse, Bikey, Carey and Gerken being the way forward. Perhaps Del and Doc are reluctant to throw in the BCFC youth into what is a relegation couldron. If we were safe from relegation I reckon they may have tried blooding more of our youth players. Who knows? I'd still go for a few experienced Premier League class players to bolster the squad next season, players like what Paul Hartley and Dele Adebola were would be great additions.

100% agree!!! Just look at the Reading model! They tend to lose 2 or 3 players a season but they always pick up 2 or 3 excellent replacements! Quality over quantity is the way forward for sure!

100% agree!!! Just look at the Reading model! They tend to lose 2 or 3 players a season but they always pick up 2 or 3 excellent replacements! Quality over quantity is the way forward for sure!

Yep the Reading model, they've also now got Jason Roberts who once played for us !!!!!!! I don't know the whole story of why Jason Roberts left us for the Gas but he's one of the very best players we've let go in my life watching City - along with Super Bob Taylor from the same period.

Think you are about right, if we are sucsefull in attracting McManus & Amougou then what about Fontaine as a wing back? Has the defensive ability and pace !

Really!

I think the honest truth is that if we do stay up we will almost certainly be 1 place above the drop, which will make us favourites for relegation next year, which increases the difficulty in attracting good players and in negotiating contracts.

A squad of 24 should be the target made up of some youth, some current players and 3 or 4 quality new players, either season long loanees from the prem or from Championship clubs. Dipping into the lower leagues has not always served us well and is a risk we can ill afford.

I think if you went on the forum of any but the very top clubs in this division that they would probably say that they have 2/3 players that are indispensable or match winners "on their day" and the rest of the squad are of varying quality. Like this forum, which are the better oif those players will depend on who you speak to. The difference between success and failure, will come down to among other things........

• The Manager finding a method of play to allow the weaknesses to be overcome and the strengths to be utilised
  • Team spirit (like the X factor difficult to define and/or cultivate)
  • Key players remaining fit
  • Confidence
  • Luck!

Delboy is not a stupid man, he already knows our strengths and weaknesses and I am sure he will use the next transfer window to good effect, especially in the Championship. One thing I think he has done well (and this weekend has highlighted it) is that by involving all the squad at different times he is building a good spirit and a sense of belonging for all the players. Someone mentioned on another thread the way players sat in the stand were celebrating on Monday as evidence of that.

I understand the call for huge squad changes but I don't think that is practical, a reduction of the squad to allow for the wages of 3/4 quality players is a good idea as long as those quality players remain fit and in form, we wouldn't want to be a position of putting all our efforts into quality and then find we are lacking strength in depth in the long run. I think we need to concentrate on the left back and attacking midfielder areas as somewhere we need established quality performers and look to our youth or lower division prospects that we can nurture in other areas.

next year if we stay up should be about restablising our selfs as a mid table championship club,

We should not push for promotion thats what we have tried to do since the play-off final and thats why we are in this mess,

Slowly build the squad we have a few players good enough for this level not great but good enough when the deadwood has gone at the end of the season we need to stablise and aim for a top 10 finish next season,

There is a lot of idealism going on in this thread - Steve should spend his own money buying the best players possible for us, we should have quality over quantity, we should develop the kids more, we should buy strikers that are going to score us lots of goals, we should buy midfielders that are going to create lots of chances for our strikers while also protecting our defense and we should get defenders that stop the opposition scoring goals.

Nothing wrong with wanting these things but in reality they are very hard to come buy.

Steve L is already spending lots of money to keep this club standing still - If I was him I would have wanted to keep my yearly investment the same and raise money elsewhere - upping the ST to a championship average of around £450 should raise around a million extra for the club and show that we are serious about being supporters in this league rather than charging league 1 prices and then wondering why we end up with an average championship players in our first team and league 1 players as backups.

We can go for quality over quantity but look at the injury problems we have had this year - loan players don't always work out and you usually have to get 3 before you find 1 that fits, this all takes time and more money.

Strikers that score goals are expensive, if you want proven championship strikers your looking at £4m+ each (if you want to pay £600 extra for your season ticket please put your hand up, thought not).

Midfielders that create lots of chances while also being a strong buffer for the defense don't really exist, in a 4 man midfield - if we can get each of the central ones to do one each then that's more than good enough but a creative midfielder is going to cost 3.5m and a defensive one probably 3m.

Defenders that stop people from scoring lots of goal are fairly available in this league and is probably where we should be aiming our sights - our biggest long term problem has been not been scoring it has been conceding but getting the players we need is going to cost about 2m a player.

Why don't we get free transfers rather than buying players - a lot of clubs are after free transfers and not many of these top quality championship players that we want will come to a club that has only just missed out on relegation. We would be lucky to get one this way.

My prediction for the closed season is picking up some of the better league 1 and Scottish players that are available on free transfers along with 1 or 2 championship players that are have declining careers - Not what we want or need but its not like we can afford anything else. I would like to pay around £600 for my season ticket if it was guarantied to see us challenging at the right end of the championship table rather than £350 to see us have another season like this one but I guess the majority of BC supporters would rather the latter which is probably what we will get.

next year if we stay up should be about restablising our selfs as a mid table championship club,

We should not push for promotion thats what we have tried to do since the play-off final and thats why we are in this mess,

Slowly build the squad we have a few players good enough for this level not great but good enough when the deadwood has gone at the end of the season we need to stablise and aim for a top 10 finish next season,

I couldn't agree more Monkeh, but I just hope that the majority of fans have the patience for that approach, all too often it seems fans say they "expect mid table consolidation" but in practice get narked if we don't win every week. This will be doubly true if we turn to the youth which often means inconsistency of performances.

It would also be nice if we actually tried to do well in the FA Cup and League Cup for the first time in many years. The buzz from a good cup run and drawing a top club in the later rounds would be great for morale.

Yes wouldn't a cup run be great for us all!

I remember well the great games with Leeds Utd in the 70's and NF Chelsea Liverpool and Everton in the late 80's and early 90's and I miss it!!

What's a cup run?

Yes wouldn't a cup run be great for us all!

I remember well the great games with Leeds Utd in the 70's and NF Chelsea Liverpool and Everton in the late 80's and early 90's and I miss it!!

The only time I remember this club genuinely going for it in the FA Cup - and having a side capable of winning it - was under Alan Dicks during the 1978-79 season I think it was. We were a top flight side then and with the likes of Gerry Gow and Norman Hunter in the side we could have won it with better luck than we had.

1) Middlesborough home 2007- some comeback.

I can remember the 2008 tie against the same opponents better.

My youngest daughter was born that day and me and the missis listened to the game on the radio in the delivery suite. Epidurals are great aren't they!

Archived