IGNORED

Atyeo Stand Plans

The Hippo

Anyone got any pics, architects drawings of what the proposed two-tier Atyeo stand would have looked like before we had to reduce its size? Have seen the proposed pics of a rebuilt East End and Williams planned under Davidson (i think?) which makes AG look like Home Park mark 2, glad that never materialised!

I think we originally planned to have boxes at the back of the Dolman too but the problem was access from them (need a fire escape)

Don't remember anything from SD era on redoing the EE/Williams - we did 6-7 years ago start to plan and drew plans up for the east end.

The worst thing about failing to get planning permission for a 2 tier stand (it was refused on shaddowing the houses behind) was the club owned nearly all of the house behind the open end in the 60's

I think we originally planned to have boxes at the back of the Dolman too but the problem was access from them (need a fire escape)

Don't remember anything from SD era on redoing the EE/Williams - we did 6-7 years ago start to plan and drew plans up for the east end.

The worst thing about failing to get planning permission for a 2 tier stand (it was refused on shaddowing the houses behind) was the club owned nearly all of the house behind the open end in the 60's

The single tier Atyeo financially crippled the club. Maybe 2 tiers would have made it even worse.

The single tier Atyeo financially crippled the club. Maybe 2 tiers would have made it even worse.

Really? From memory it cost not much more than £1.5m and we got a FL/Gov grant of nearly £1m didn't we?

Yes that is correct.

I thought the Atyeo was always single tier - I know the architects cocked up the disabled requirements.

I thought the planning issues over two tiers was the East End replacement.

Really? From memory it cost not much more than £1.5m and we got a FL/Gov grant of nearly £1m didn't we?

I was reading a City book last year that went into detail about how we struggled to pay for it and how that had affected our ability to invest in players and the resultant struggles and relegation shortly after. I'll try to dig out the quotes if I can.

We did get a grant, but I'm sure the it cost a lot more than you have quoted.

I was reading a City book last year that went into detail about how we struggled to pay for it and how that had affected our ability to invest in players and the resultant struggles and relegation shortly after. I'll try to dig out the quotes if I can.

We did get a grant, but I'm sure the it cost a lot more than you have quoted.

I'm sure I heard the Atyeo cost £1.5m as well.

Very interesting reading back over Lansdown's comments at this time:

"It is important to recognise that we have just announced a £3 million loss and can't afford to suddenly build a new stadium from scratch.

"But the good thing about Ashton Gate is that we can develop the site piecemeal, starting with the Williams Stand and then the Wedlock Stand, and make sure we put in the facilities to help us pay for it.

"The Williams Stand is starting to look a bit tired and needs redeveloping. We could put in hospitality boxes and facilities for conference and banqueting, which in turn would generate money for the club."

Oh how things have changed. The bits in bold especially are very different to the message that is now delivered.

The new Williams Stand was intended to have a capacity 11,543; pretty much the same as the entire Memorial Stadium! The new Wedlock Stand was intended to have 5,000 seats.

That would mean a new total capacity at Ashton Gate of around 27,000.

We did also have the intention of putting 23 hospitality boxes in the Dolman in 1994.

The cost of redevelopment between 2004 & 2010/2012 is massive, knocking the Williams down would cost £2m+ alone.

Think that is why the message has changed, possibly because the nature/style of hospitality has changed since 2004 as well.

BCAGFC

Very interesting reading back over Lansdown's comments at this time:

"It is important to recognise that we have just announced a £3 million loss and can't afford to suddenly build a new stadium from scratch.

"But the good thing about Ashton Gate is that we can develop the site piecemeal, starting with the Williams Stand and then the Wedlock Stand, and make sure we put in the facilities to help us pay for it.

"The Williams Stand is starting to look a bit tired and needs redeveloping. We could put in hospitality boxes and facilities for conference and banqueting, which in turn would generate money for the club."

Oh how things have changed. The bits in bold especially are very different to the message that is now delivered.

because back in 2004 Lansdown was worth about 30 million now he's worth 750 million

There used to be a pic of the inside view of a redeveloped Williams and east end stands. Both were two tiered and the seats were black IIRC. The capacity of the Williams would have been huge (height of the Dolman x2) and the two stands looked brilliant.

If anyone has still got that pic, I would like to see it.

I remember the mock up in the Evening Post of the Dolman stand with executive boxes at the back. I'm so glad they didn't do that because it would have looked absolute crud.

I think the club wanted the Atyeo to be two tier but had to amend the plans due to the height blocking the light to the houses behind. One thing I've never understood is the stupid roof on the shop! Who designed that? Why not have the roof sloping the other way and seats on top. One on the long list of baffling decisions from Ashton Gate down the years.

There used to be a pic of the inside view of a redeveloped Williams and east end stands. Both were two tiered and the seats were black IIRC. The capacity of the Williams would have been huge (height of the Dolman x2) and the two stands looked brilliant.

If anyone has still got that pic, I would like to see it.

Not sure it was meant to be twice the height of the Dolman tbh. I do remember it was supposed to be based on the East Stand though at the Hawthorns.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/west_bromwich_albion/

Archived