IGNORED

Chipping A Penalty

Lew-T

Was just listening to the radio about van persie's penalty. They were accusing of RVP bullying and discriminating the wolves players. Personally I don't have a problem with it, if you have the ability and confidence, then do it. Look at cricket for example, you see reverse sweeps and all sorts, yet they are not being accused of discrimination in the game. If you have the quality then what's the problem?

It's got nothing to do with quality, anybody can chip a ball. It's not discrimination or taking the piss either. It's just a very stupid, weak penalty that will get saved a great deal no matter who you are.

Penalties are easy. 1 foot inside the post (either low or high not in between) with pace. Keepers will hardly ever save those and if you can't do that 9 times out of 10 you shouldn't be playing.

Was just listening to the radio about van persie's penalty. They were accusing of RVP bullying and discriminating the wolves players. Personally I don't have a problem with it, if you have the ability and confidence, then do it. Look at cricket for example, you see reverse sweeps and all sorts, yet they are not being accused of discrimination in the game. If you have the quality then what's the problem?

No problem at all. Quality entertainment.

Just Adrian Durham being a tw_t (again).

i cant believe i've read that.

the taker can do what he wants. if they miss or the keeper dont move, they look an arse. that's their gamble at the end of the day. It's happened before and will happen again. youtube is full of them.

Zidane did it in the 2006 world cup final and got away with it.....just. That game was a tad more important that wolves vs arsenal where arsenal were gonna win anyway.

as the guy along side him said, who cares how it goes in unless it goes in..

he also disrespected wolves, terry connor wayne hennesey and all their players.. what a prat..

Yea, thought that was harsh. One if the worst teams in pl history and one of the worst keepers!

"Nobody had ever taken a penalty like that before. I came up with the idea because I used to practice penalties after training at Bohemians with our goalkeeper Zdenek Hruska. To make it interesting, we used to wager a beer or a bar of chocolate on each penalty. Unfortunately, because he was such a good keeper, I ended up losing money as he kept saving more shots than I could score. As a result I ended up lying awake at night thinking about how I could get the upper hand. I eventually realised that the goalkeeper always waits until just before the last moment to try and anticipate where the ball is going and dives just before it's kicked so he can reach the shot in time. I decided that it was probably easier to score by feinting to shoot and then just gently tapping the ball into the middle of the goal. In this way the keeper had always dived by the time the ball was kicked and had no chance of recovering in time to save the shot. I tried it out on the training ground and it worked like a charm. The only problem was that I started getting a lot fatter because I won back all those beers and chocolates."

It's one thing to take a penalty like Panenka did on the training ground; it's quite another to take a penalty like that when it is the deciding strike in the final of a major tournament. Even to this day, many football commentators are amazed at how Panenka managed to hold his nerve to take a shot like that, especially as he would have looked extremely silly had the keeper not dived. The player himself says he never had any doubt that he would score.

"About two years before the European Championships I began trying it. At first I did it during friendly matches and then I did it once or twice during Czechoslovak league matches. It worked so well that I decided that I would use the technique if I got a penalty at the European Championships. Of course, it was pure chance that the opportunity came in the final after the Germans equalised in the last minute and then, when it went to penalties, the German player missed his kick before it was my turn. It was like the will of god. I was one thousand percent certain that I would take the penalty in that way and that I would score."

Archived