IGNORED

I Don't Often Look At League 2

screech

But, occasionally I like to see how local clubs to me are doing and Hereford are playing tonight and I see are already 1 nil up at Barnet, so I look at the table and by jimminy what the hell are Bradford City doing all the way down near the foot of League 2?

When you talk about clubs majorly underachieving surely Bradford would be classed as the biggest of them all. Good traditional club with what seems a good following, but my god, that is seriously poor for a club that size.

Where did it all go wrong? Surely they cannot be suffering from the Premier League hangover still?

In addition to the three big ones (Carbone - £40k per week, Collymore - pay as you play, and Petrescu), there was David Hopkin (who was the record signing at £2.5m and about 25k a week, and played about six games), as well as hugely overpaid dead wood like Ashley Ward, Ian Nolan, and Peter Atherton, who were on about 40k a week between the three of them. There was also an entanglement with Registered European Football Finance which was something to do with further borrowing against the value of the players signed.

They had also borrowed about £4.5m to buy the players that got them into the Premier League in the first place (including £1.3m on Isaiah Rankin who was useless), and then another £7m to redevelop the main stand, which hasn't been filled once in the twelve years since. All the fixtures and fittings were leased as well, rather than owned outright.

...but when I do, it's still a shit league. :)

Yeah, got me thinking other day when teams like Oxford and Cambridge we in the league above us and I looked to them a almost bigger clubs! this was only a few years ago mind.

I think since the re branding of the football league its been good for us, but we always had SL safety net.

Bradford don't have a great following, their more interested in Rugby

Their average attendance is 12k a week. Take in mind most team in that div would take no more than 500 away. Thats a very good attendence; they should be able to afford any player they wanted for that league & standard with those crowds.

Their average attendance is 12k a week. Take in mind most team in that div would take no more than 500 away. Thats a very good attendence; they should be able to afford any player they wanted for that league & standard with those crowds.

The reason they get crowds that big is because they offer cheap season tickets. A few years ago they were £100. Their turnover can't be that great as there is a cap in that division based on turnover.

But, occasionally I like to see how local clubs to me are doing and Hereford are playing tonight and I see are already 1 nil up at Barnet, so I look at the table and by jimminy what the hell are Bradford City doing all the way down near the foot of League 2?

When you talk about clubs majorly underachieving surely Bradford would be classed as the biggest of them all. Good traditional club with what seems a good following, but my god, that is seriously poor for a club that size.

Where did it all go wrong? Surely they cannot be suffering from the Premier League hangover still?

Bit of an enigma to me; Bradford have been down the bottom of Division 4 for, i think, every season they have been down there which must be about 4 or 5 seasons by now. No matter who they bring in to manage the club they still seem to be scrapping for survival every season. Its one that is hard to explain.

I was there last night. A few mates are Hereford fans, so popped along for the relegation decider.

Proper old stadium with a huge slope; with two teams that have been flirting with relegation for a good few years.

What surprised me was that both these teams were literally fighting for league survival - but I think both sets of fans had got used to the fact their teams might be relegated, so there wasn't that real angry passion I saw on faces against Coventry.

The Hereford fans were very proud and loud, just think its gonna be a huge ask for them to stay up now with a real tough run in.

Love terracing.

If by being in exactly the same place is a measure of "good", then yes, it's been excellent.

Come off it, we got promoted, instead of buying fringe players from Swindon we can attract internationals, a stadium in the pipeline (long pipe!), good core of players, promising manager.

Archived