IGNORED

Segregation

cider11

Last night I was at Arsenal vs Wigan in the away end. I was surprised at the lack of segregation (when you compare to Ashton gate.)

To start with the concourse was mixed with arsenal and Wigan in there, both using same bogs, food stands and entrances to into the seats. Once going to the seats the arsenal fans directed to the left and was the smallest line of stewards I've seen at any game between 2 sets of fans.

There were hardly any stewards or police on the concourses before, during or after.

I am surprised at a Premier League game they are able to be that unsegregated between the two sets of fans when at the gate there is a massive block of seats between the two sets of fans. They prob had about 20 stewards on duty for the away end which city could do to have a lot less wasted seats.

Nah, not just who was playing I dont think. I have often thought this when watching MOTD, even at the massive games you often see a single line of stewards between the two sets of fans....never understood why we need 2 or 3 miles between the two sets !!

You're absolutely right. I've never understood why 10% of the seats in our ground aren't used for football and yet the full 21k+ is okay for rugby. Yes there may be a need for segregation, but 10% of the total ground capacity is way OTT.

there were 60k arsenal fans and 200 wigan fans you don't need that much seggragation for that

I know was only a couple of hundred Wigan there but the away fans still normally get a concourse to themselves (no matter the away following size) in everyother ground in the country and not have to share it with the home fans.

You're absolutely right. I've never understood why 10% of the seats in our ground aren't used for football and yet the full 21k+ is okay for rugby. Yes there may be a need for segregation, but 10% of the total ground capacity is way OTT.

Have a look at the leeds court case threed and you will find your answer

No, that still doesn't answer it. I'm not saying no segregation, but rather not too much. Most Premier League games don't have great swaithes of empty blocks. They seem to want to sell as many seats as possible and a line of stewards or a barrier seems to do the trick.

You'll never completely remove trouble from football but this was a bit of a one-off for recent times. I've been to plenty of city away matches in the home end (even rovers). Nobody deserves to be beaten up, but if you go in the home end as an away fan it's pretty sensible to have your wits about you and not upset the natives too much.

No, that still doesn't answer it. I'm not saying no segregation, but rather not too much. Most Premier League games don't have great swaithes of empty blocks. They seem to want to sell as many seats as possible and a line of stewards or a barrier seems to do the trick.

You'll never completely remove trouble from football but this was a bit of a one-off for recent times. I've been to plenty of city away matches in the home end (even rovers). Nobody deserves to be beaten up, but if you go in the home end as an away fan it's pretty sensible to have your wits about you and not upset the natives too much.

It could do with the cost as its more expensive to watch the prem there is less thuggish people there?

I think the local authorities have some say over our segregation and perhaps policing costs are reduced with the size we currently have?

All that trouble with the Gas in the 90's caused it more than anything.. for a while we had a 10% cap on our capacity didn't we?

Nonsense. Newcastle v Sunderland, Man U v Liverpool, Arsenal v Spurs, all of these games have one line of stewards and are clearly more volatile than Bristol City v Doncaster. Even when we play teams with no 'reputation' or no past rivalry with ourselves we are forced to have a block or two. It's ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

Archived