IGNORED

That Paul Cheesley Goal Vs Arsenal

bcfczd

For City fans of a certain age I would guess that this is probably the most well remembered goal we scored back in the day, but am i right in thinking it was also Cheesley's last ever goal for the club?

For City fans of a certain age I would guess that this is probably the most well remembered goal we scored back in the day, but am i right in thinking it was also Cheesley's last ever goal for the club?

It was, alas. I was at the Stoke game on the Tuesday :(

• SC&T Board Members

Yep - next game, Tuesday night at home to Stoke. It had been the long, hot summer of '76 and the ground was as hard as rock. Cheese goes up for a cross with Peter Shilton and lands heavily on the unforgiving surface. He has to go off injured and only makes one brief appearance vs Birmingham some months later (if memory serves me right) before calling it a day.

Very sad for him ... and what might have been for us but for that injury?!

For me, the goal of goals was at oxford's horrible little ground in the promotion season. Two gurt big Oxford thugs sandwiched the Cheese as the ball came over. They both ended on their backs, the ball in the net, and the Cheese with his fist in the air celebrating.

It was almost like a pool trick shot or a demonstration of Newton's Laws of Motion. Very appropriate to Oxford, really ;)

• SC&T Board Members

I honestly think he might have been better than Atyeo, and I've never seen another City player before or since that I'd say that of!

Ah, I bow to your seniority, there. Big John is just before my time. John Galley was the centre-forward when I started watching. But, yes, Cheese could have gone on to play for England and lead City the First Division title and the European Cup and ... dreams, eh?! Football, bloody hell (as someone once said)!

Ah, I bow to your seniority, there. Big John is just before my time. John Galley was the centre-forward when I started watching. But, yes, Cheese could have gone on to play for England and lead City the First Division title and the European Cup and ... dreams, eh?! Football, bloody hell (as someone once said)!

My idols as a kid were John Atyeo and Tom Graveney - not bad players, eh? And they both played the other's sport pretty tidily.

Cheesley would have been the Shearer of his generation, but that's life or, more important, football ;)

Great Memories thanks for posting that video

What would have been if Cheese didnt get injured ?

How much would he have been worth in todays money if Andy Carroll is £35m

ps Notice all the City fans in the Arsenal end celebrate when we score

Good Times :)

Great Memories thanks for posting that video

What would have been if Cheese didnt get injured ?

How much would he have been worth in todays money if Andy Carroll is £35m

ps Notice all the City fans in the Arsenal end celebrate when we score

Good Times :)

When i first saw Carrol playing for Newcastle i thought of Cheesley, but i think Cheesleys all round strenght and of the reading the game was better.

As for the game, i was there, but wasn't.

I was in some barbed wire pen outside the ground. Never had a clue what was going on, a huge roar went up and i thought it was Arsenal that scored, until an Arsenal fan got thrown in the pen and made the mistake of saying those Bristol Bas##rds have scored.

Watched it on match of the day that night!

Young and senseless :banana: , but happy times.

My best memory of Paul, apart from scoring that goal at highbury was in the previous promotion season

away to york city, no cameras at the game unfortunately but the cheese scored a hat trick, saving the

best header i have ever seen till last, i cant remember who crossed from the right (Jimmy Mann ? ) but watching

i didnt think the Cheese would ever make contact cos he had too far to run but hell no, he hit that ball with his head

diving horizontal...get in, brilliant goal and brilliant hat trick, I was speaking to him several years later and i brought

up that game in the conversation, Paul said tongue in cheek, he was peeved with Tom Richie cos on the return

match at the gate in front of MOTD cameras Richie scored a hat trick !!! Happy Days

Brings a tear to the eye, I was in the Clock End with thousands of other City fans, never ever forget that moment.

Absolute tragedy what happened to Cheese, he and Gow'y were, and still are my all time City heroes, hard as nails and quality performers.

Cheese would get merciless punishment from absolute psychotic defenders, pick himself up and without saying a word dust himself down and jog off with his fair flowing in heroic style.

He had a Rugby players mentality, and went on to play that with his brothers at Gordano for a while after retiring.

God it still makes me weep when you think of what could have been.

Remember seeing City away at Bolton in I think our promotion season. Cheese was giving the Bolton centre halfs Sam Allardyce and Paul Jones (I think) all sorts of problems in the air.

They just could not stop him winning the ball. That was until one of them jumped and gave him a full blooded elbow to the back of the neck. Don't even think a foul was given.

Think Cheese struggled on for a while, but he had been hurt and was not effective again.

He was one of the best jumper and header of a ball i have ever seen.

To then see him play so well at Arsenal in a great start to 1st Division life for City, only for his career to be taken away so suddenly, was a tradegy.

I always remember Cheese being selected to play for England under 21s (23s) but turning down the chance so he could play in a vital promotion match at either WBA or Sunderland towards the end of the promotion season, which City won.

He did make brief appearances for Yeovil Town after the injury when Gerry Gow was the manager but it was sad to see him trying to play on.

Absolute legend.

My best memory of Paul, apart from scoring that goal at highbury was in the previous promotion season

away to york city, no cameras at the game unfortunately but the cheese scored a hat trick, saving the

best header i have ever seen till last, i cant remember who crossed from the right (Jimmy Mann ? ) but watching

i didnt think the Cheese would ever make contact cos he had too far to run but hell no, he hit that ball with his head

diving horizontal...get in, brilliant goal and brilliant hat trick, I was speaking to him several years later and i brought

up that game in the conversation, Paul said tongue in cheek, he was peeved with Tom Richie cos on the return

match at the gate in front of MOTD cameras Richie scored a hat trick !!! Happy Days

I have happy memories of that York game, although I wasn't there. I was at Eastville listening to the game on earphones and trying not to smle, let alone leap up and down, as the four goals went in :noexp: :noexp: :noexp: :noexp:

I have happy memories of that York game, although I wasn't there. I was at Eastville listening to the game on earphones and trying not to smle, let alone leap up and down, as the four goals went in :noexp: :noexp: :noexp: :noexp:

I was in the Open End at Eastville that night as well - God knows why - any idea who Rovers were playing?

I remember turning on to Muller Road in the dark after the game amongst the Rovers fans and hearing the final score and report came over on someone's radio.

The Rovers fans were pissed off ' bloody City' etc, but I was quietly ecstatic, 4 goals away from home, hat trick from Cheese - didn't sound like City at all, and for the first time I thought we might actually go up.

I was in the Clock End at Highbury and attended the fateful Stoke match a few days later thinking we could take them apart at AG - the whole team had been magnificent at Arsenal and don't forget Cheese had already hit the post and bar before he scored and seemed to be taking to the top flight like a duck to water. He'd deserved a hat trick at Arsenal so he could surely get one against Stoke to celebrate our long awaited home debut in the big league. What anticipation between the two games and what a calamity it turned out to be when Cheese went down. In terms of Bristol City, Cheese himself, and Bristol City fans, his injury was indeed a tragedy.

I'm certain he would have played for England, he completely outshone Arsenal's record signing MacDonald and their fans must have gone home after that defeat perplexed thinking they had bought the wrong man.

I was in the Open End at Eastville that night as well - God knows why - any idea who Rovers were playing?

I remember turning on to Muller Road in the dark after the game amongst the Rovers fans and hearing the final score and report came over on someone's radio.

The Rovers fans were pissed off ' bloody City' etc, but I was quietly ecstatic, 4 goals away from home, hat trick from Cheese - didn't sound like City at all, and for the first time I thought we might actually go up.

I was in the Clock End at Highbury and attended the fateful Stoke match a few days later thinking we could take them apart at AG - the whole team had been magnificent at Arsenal and don't forget Cheese had already hit the post and bar before he scored and seemed to be taking to the top flight like a duck to water. He'd deserved a hat trick at Arsenal so he could surely get one against Stoke to celebrate our long awaited home debut in the big league. What anticipation between the two games and what a calamity it turned out to be when Cheese went down. In terms of Bristol City, Cheese himself, and Bristol City fans, his injury was indeed a tragedy.

I'm certain he would have played for England, he completely outshone Arsenal's record signing MacDonald and their fans must have gone home after that defeat perplexed thinking they had bought the wrong man.

Was it Port Vale? Totally carp game, IIRC. Mind you, in those days we could afford to go to both club's home games - not like today :(

Yes, Cheese completely outshone MacDonald, but don't forget that great run and tackle back by Tom Ritchie! I'd forgotten just how completely we outplayed Arsenal that day - quality or what?

Fanatastic memories from that day. We had seats in the centre of the main stand - padded seats, with arms, and there were real towels in the ladies loos! Had never known such luxuries at a football ground.

So cruel that it all came to an end for Paul just a few days later. :(

Even the Gents was impressive! It didn't smell like [insert unpleasant simile here]

The Arsenal fans were pleasant but patronising before the game. i avoided them afterwards ;)

Was it Port Vale? Totally carp game, IIRC. Mind you, in those days we could afford to go to both club's home games - not like today :(

Yes, Cheese completely outshone MacDonald, but don't forget that great run and tackle back by Tom Ritchie! I'd forgotten just how completely we outplayed Arsenal that day - quality or what?

Doubt it, I'd have thought it was more attractive visitors - I certainly didn't go down the Rovers' ground often, or to watch them. I stood in the away end and very much supported their opponents.

Tom Ritchie was a star, of course, and one of many favourites I had in that team along with Cheese, GG, SuperMann, Sween., Trevor Tainton. etc. I can't think of one I didn't like, right down to Speedy Drysdale.

There was never any question of any one of those players not giving 100% for Bristol City, and it all came together beautifully at Highbury, and of course, Highfield Road.

Archived