IGNORED

Martin Woolford

Volta

Think the guy deserves credit. Not a world beater but worked his arse off today, added balance to the side, got in some decent positions.

He was having a shocker earlier I the year and clearly his confidence is improving.

I thought the way he didn't stop chasing commendable and I think he got a little bit of credit, As he has improved in recent months.

Think the guy deserves credit. Not a world beater but worked his arse off today, added balance to the side, got in some decent positions.

He was having a shocker earlier I the year and clearly his confidence is improving.

I thought the way he didn't stop chasing commendable and I think he got a little bit of credit, As he has improved in recent months.

Agree there, gave it away a couple of times but he did well in offering balance and hard graft from the left and middle

His delivery was good from Set pieces too

Del likes him and as you say growing in confidence. I think Wooly could be a real star for us next season.Fair play to the lad for proving his knockers wrong.

thought woolford and mcgivern were very poor again

Del likes him and as you say growing in confidence. I think Wooly could be a real star for us next season.Fair play to the lad for proving his knockers wrong.

Completely agree. I hope he will kick on next season (and I think he will). He is clearly talented and he is growing. I think given a pre-season with Del we could see the player he was at Scunny.

• Admin

Woolford either under instruction, by accident or by design appears to have learnt that City fans will accept a player having a lack of talent if they put in a lot of effort. However, he may also notice that City fans take a hell of a lot of persuading to change a first impression.

For the record I don't actually believe he lacks talent (getting double figures in terms of goals for a poor side at this level shows he must have some) but has suffered a prolonged period of lacking confidence, that is only just coming back now following a period where he has gained respect for putting effort in. If only the penny had dropped earlier hey?

Woolford either under instruction, by accident or by design appears to have learnt that City fans will accept a player having a lack of talent if they put in a lot of effort. However, he may also notice that City fans take a hell of a lot of persuading to change a first impression.

For the record I don't actually believe he lacks talent (getting double figures in terms of goals for a poor side at this level shows he must have some) but has suffered a prolonged period of lacking confidence, that is only just coming back now following a period where he has gained respect for putting effort in. If only the penny had dropped earlier hey?

Very good points and I do think Martyn is suffering from the first impression many fans had of him when he joined, he's also a completely different type of midfielder to what we've had here for many years, he's more of a wide midfielder than a winger and many fans don't accept that people playing near the chalk shouldn't be running past players... I think it's ingrained in the mindset of Bristol City fans that wide players should be out and out wingers with pace and skill...

Woolford is a team player rather than an individual like Pitman and Adomah. Whilst those players sparks of magic can win you games, players like Woolford, Stead, Foster and Skuse will stop you losing them by working within a unit that defends and works hard together.

Very good points and I do think Martyn is suffering from the first impression many fans had of him when he joined, he's also a completely different type of midfielder to what we've had here for many years, he's more of a wide midfielder than a winger and many fans don't accept that people playing near the chalk shouldn't be running past players... I think it's ingrained in the mindset of Bristol City fans that wide players should be out and out wingers with pace and skill...

Woolford is a team player rather than an individual like Pitman and Adomah. Whilst those players sparks of magic can win you games, players like Woolford, Stead, Foster and Skuse will stop you losing them by working within a unit that defends and works hard together.

Still largely anonymous first half and average second half, I get your point but on the other hand the way Mcgivern and he played today was poor, the only real joy Barnsley got all day was down their right side they both struggled with Higginbottom, who incidentally could quite easily have been sent off for his 2 footed challenge on Foster, luckily Foster did not make a meal of it and I don't think the referee had such a good view, not a lot worse than Pitmans challenge.

Still largely anonymous first half and average second half, I get your point but on the other hand the way Mcgivern and he played today was poor, the only real joy Barnsley got all day was down their right side they both struggled with Higginbottom, who incidentally could quite easily have been sent off for his 2 footed challenge on Foster, luckily Foster did not make a meal of it and I don't think the referee had such a good view, not a lot worse than Pitmans challenge.

they also have that Jim O'brien who made some excellent crosses from the right.

I personally thought that whilst Barnsley had a lot of the ball it was in areas where they couldn't hurt us and when they did actually come forward we had the better of them across the park. I certainly wasn't unimpressed by anyone on the pitch today, everyone did their job well and McGivern got forward well too.

I doubt we'll see McGivern in a City shirt again, many fans don't like him (must be the blonde hair) but I think he's done a pretty decent job this season at times. Here's hoping that Derek can find two decent left backs because it's been a position of weakness for a long old time.

I remember shouting praise to Wooly more than many other players today though, Perhaps that's in part down to the grief he gets from the stands when things aren't going his way but I saw a noticeable improvement in his game today, and it's been getting better each game of late. Here's hoping that if he is here next season and in DMC's plans he can continue to build on this and change the minds of all the fans.

what does Pearson do apart from run around? don't see anyone else having pops at him...

what does Pearson do apart from run around? don't see anyone else having pops at him...

Wins an awful lot of loose ball and carries the ball quickly when breaking. Closes down the opposition more than any other player.

His only real weakness is his right foot is less use than mine.

Wins an awful lot of loose ball and carries the ball quickly when breaking. Closes down the opposition more than any other player.

His only real weakness is his right foot is less use than mine.

All I see from him is that he is given the ball and he gives it to someone else instead of trying to do something useful, and when he does get the chance to make a useful pass he messes it up, I have not seen him one make successful tackle in a game but I'm guessing McInnes is in love with him or something, just don't see the appeal behind the player when we could get a younger more complete and more useful player for next season.

they also have that Jim O'brien who made some excellent crosses from the right.

I personally thought that whilst Barnsley had a lot of the ball it was in areas where they couldn't hurt us and when they did actually come forward we had the better of them across the park. I certainly wasn't unimpressed by anyone on the pitch today, everyone did their job well and McGivern got forward well too.

I doubt we'll see McGivern in a City shirt again, many fans don't like him (must be the blonde hair) but I think he's done a pretty decent job this season at times. Here's hoping that Derek can find two decent left backs because it's been a position of weakness for a long old time.

I remember shouting praise to Wooly more than many other players today though, Perhaps that's in part down to the grief he gets from the stands when things aren't going his way but I saw a noticeable improvement in his game today, and it's been getting better each game of late. Here's hoping that if he is here next season and in DMC's plans he can continue to build on this and change the minds of all the fans.

Mcgivern is a worse passer of the ball than Bradley Orr and Foster is barely better, I will concede that Woolford might be a useful squad player, it seemed to me that Pearson and Woolford changed places for the second half, Pearson played wide and Woolford moved inside and that coincided with a better performance from both.

it seemed to me that Pearson and Woolford changed places for the second half, Pearson played wide and Woolford moved inside and that coincided with a better performance from both.

I think this is true and it shows why they will stay, I think Del wants a flexible squad, players that can fulfil more positions and roles. They both made good contributions at times, but I would like to see more consistency from both of them over 90 minutes.

Mcgivern is a worse passer of the ball than Bradley Orr and Foster is barely better, I will concede that Woolford might be a useful squad player, it seemed to me that Pearson and Woolford changed places for the second half, Pearson played wide and Woolford moved inside and that coincided with a better performance from both.

Aye, wooly seems to be another player who might be boxed into the term 'winger' because he's got a left foot... Rare enough in this country. I'd like to see him 'in the hole' centrally... He seems quite comfortable when playing short passes and we rarely see him with an opportunity to shoot (he clearly can score goals given the opportunity as shown by his return at Scunny.)

He's one of those players who is probably better when he doesn't have time to think and is forced to play instinctively. I feel Kilkenny is similar in that regard.

I think Del rates him, which should give him confidence.

All I see from him is that he is given the ball and he gives it to someone else instead of trying to do something useful, and when he does get the chance to make a useful pass he messes it up, I have not seen him one make successful tackle in a game but I'm guessing McInnes is in love with him or something, just don't see the appeal behind the player when we could get a younger more complete and more useful player for next season.

He made at least half a dozen today. He's the only player other than Skuse who accelerates into a 50/50. He is also a goal threat.

I'm not saying he's great or even close but he is useful and works very hard. He'd be worth having in the squad IMO.

He made at least half a dozen today. He's the only player other than Skuse who accelerates into a 50/50. He is also a goal threat.

I'm not saying he's great or even close but he is useful and works very hard. He'd be worth having in the squad IMO.

I saw him "attempt" a tackle... not make any challenges, which Skuse makes regularly, just don't see any quality to his game and what he brings to a side which another player can't bring but with better qualities.

Aye, wooly seems to be another player who might be boxed into the term 'winger' because he's got a left foot... Rare enough in this country. I'd like to see him 'in the hole' centrally... He seems quite comfortable when playing short passes and we rarely see him with an opportunity to shoot (he clearly can score goals given the opportunity as shown by his return at Scunny.)

He's one of those players who is probably better when he doesn't have time to think and is forced to play instinctively. I feel Kilkenny is similar in that regard.

I think Del rates him, which should give him confidence.

He does quite obviously lack confidence, in the second half he probably had at least 3 good shooting opportunities and with all 3 he dallied so long he lost possession, as I say an 'ok' squad player little else unless he has a major upturn in form.

I saw him "attempt" a tackle... not make any challenges, which Skuse makes regularly, just don't see any quality to his game and what he brings to a side which another player can't bring but with better qualities.

I saw him win several, and also saw him beat the full back around the outside and nearly create a goal.

I think you're being very unfair or you're just plain missing things.

Archived