IGNORED

Retro Albert

GrenadaRed

I thought Albert looked like the flying winger who used to wow us in the past for large patches today. I have been worried for some time that he has lost his sparkle, is carrying an injury, or something else that is impacting his form. Today I thought he looked much livelier and frequently took players on and went on several of his long, mazy runs. It would be great if this is the form he brings back in the new season, as he gives us an incredible option on the right when he's on form.

Is this how you saw it, or was I just wearing red/Albert-tinted spectacles?

I was going to write a thread about how Albert was much much better today. He looked a bit more confident with taking the full backs on and he even looked up a couple of times to pass the ball instead of running down a blind alley.

He still has lazy patches where he can't be arsed to get up with play which is frustrating and there is still an obvious need for coaching with regard to the runs he makes but it was great to see him perform well again.

Albert has an abundance of skill and pace as we all know. The problem is that 90% of the time there is no end product from him.

The coaching staff need to work on this and his decision making, I'm sure they will.

Agreed, but also for a young fit guy his recovery capacity seems to me to need some work. He looks all in after one of his forays down the wing, and it's some little time before he is able to go again. More endurance training perhaps? But don't want it to affect his pace though. Bit of a dilema really.

Albert's got two main weaknesses - decisions and workrate.

He makes poor decisions about when to pass, when to give and go, when to try a trick and when to just outpace someone. He needs some real detailed coaching on this.

He also sits on his arse far too much when we've lost possession or when he thinks he's been fouled. This needs to change - the crowd will forgive him mistakes if he works hard to correct them but they'll get annoyed fast if he doesn't.

He's quick, skillful, can hit a good shot with either foot, entertaining to watch and very dangerous on his day - the weaknesses he has are easily correctable.

He was much better today than he had been for the last couple of dozen games but still some way to go to be back on top. Worth noting he is often double/treble marked now where he wasn't a year ago as well.

Albert's undoubtedly a very taented player, but as other posters have suggested, he's still got a lot to learn. He can be frustrating and exciting at the same time - especially when he takes on and beats defenders, then takes a pop at goal from impossible angles and positions, not noticing and picking out others who are better placed to score.

Worth noting he is often double/treble marked now where he wasn't a year ago as well.

I think this is an important point. Perhaps it gets to him more than it should, as when it started happening coincided with a drop in his form. I heard Redknapp on the radio recently saying how they had to change Gareth Bale's role in the team after teams started double and treble marking him. I still rate Albert, but agree that he needs coaching. I also agree with the comment about him sitting on his @ass for too long when tackled. It was right to drop him recently, but on form Albert would get into any team in this division; out of form he looks a lower league player. We have all seen what he is capable of and I reckon he can still go on to play a major role for us. We just need some other good players to take the pressure off him.

The summer will do Albert a world of good. It's clear he has been carrying an injury, which has led to poor performances and a dent in his confidence.

We're staying up, and it may actually work to our advantage as it's less likely anyone will be buying him in the summer, which otherwise would have been a probability.

He makes poor decisions about when to pass, when to give and go, when to try a trick and when to just outpace someone. He needs some real detailed coaching on this.

He also sits on his arse far too much when we've lost possession or when he thinks he's been fouled. This needs to change - the crowd will forgive him mistakes if he works hard to correct them but they'll get annoyed fast if he doesn't.

He's quick, skillful, can hit a good shot with either foot, entertaining to watch and very dangerous on his day - the weaknesses he has are easily correctable.

He was much better today than he had been for the last couple of dozen games but still some way to go to be back on top. Worth noting he is often double/treble marked now where he wasn't a year ago as well.

Elegantly summarised by Nibor.

Once again, today, some great runs were nullified by awful decisions on what to do - and what gets me is Alb often doesn't look up when making an attempt at passing.

I think Albert (and Bolassie) have great natural talent that could be coached to something really special if we have the expertise.

That's a big IF by the way...

Archived