IGNORED

Rebuilding For 12/13

cityed

Louis Carey has played well this season and offers us valuable experience. How would keeping him be soley down to heart? He's earnt the right this season to earn another years new contract, forget that last 10.

This hasn't been a successful season hardly any player has earnt anything, check Stead's embarrassment of having to pick up a Player of the season award this season. Carey has played well in the last few games. Let's not forget the months before these past few weeks and last season. Keeping hold of him over signing a better player would be a huge mistake. I don't really understand any reasoning for holding us back when we have the best chance in years to rebuild.

This hasn't been a successful season hardly any player has earnt anything, check Stead's embarrassment of having to pick up a Player of the season award this season. Carey has played well in the last few games. Let's not forget the months before these past few weeks and last season. Keeping hold of him over signing a better player would be a huge mistake. I don't really understand any reasoning for holding us back when we have the best chance in years to rebuild.

We cant replace everyone. If we sign Amougou and keep Carey that would be good business, we cant replace player for player.

Then Carey isn't needed imo if we sign Bikey, which means we save money on Carey's wages or spend them elsewhere.

I'll be surprised if Carey is still here next year if the board are actually learning from mistakes in the past as they claim.

We wont need Carey if we sign Amougou? Carey can fill in at RB, Foster is our only natural RB. If we get rid of Carey we have to go and buy another RB.

I imagine he'd have a lot more to offer than Spink having been playing international an Prem football only two years ago.

I want to see progress and improvements with the squad. Keeping fringe players such as Carey would only hold us back - there's no future with him so spend his wages on improvements. Or we'll be here again in 12 months.

Spink has played for England. But anyway I expect Spink has more coaching badges and deffo has more experience coaching.

Everyone needs fringe players, and Carey has shown when the time is right he can step into the mix and be solid. That is what we need rather than relying in youngsters and potentially getting relegated. Release Carey after next season when Wilson can fill his boots.

We will all have to agree to disagree then. Personally I find it staggering that anyone would find keeping on next seasons 5th choice CB on high wages a good move. But that's football, all about opinions.

I'd be interested though if your opinions were different had Carey not been born in Bristol. We owe him nothing.

We will all have to agree to disagree then. Personally I find it staggering that anyone would find keeping on next seasons 5th choice CB on high wages a good move. But that's football, all about opinions.

I'd be interested though if your opinions were different had Carey not been born in Bristol. We owe him nothing.

If Carey was born in Zimbabwe I wouldn't care. He's a good player as proven this season, he had Lambert in his pocket at St Mary's was immense at Forest. He is so experienced and that is crucial in any side. One more year on a pay as you play would be good for both parties imo.

If Carey was born in Zimbabwe I wouldn't care. He's a good player as proven this season, he had Lambert in his pocket at St Mary's was immense at Forest. He is so experienced and that is crucial in any side. One more year on a pay as you play would be good for both parties imo.

I'm not doubting he had two very good games this season. Those the two you mentioned. Apart from those though he didn't do a lot else. Let's not let those two cloud our judgements.

He was also involved in the capitualtion of Reading at home and Blackpool away. I hope the club spends any money wisely next year. If we sign a CB and Fontaine and Wilson remain fit he won't be needed.

Who said he would be 5th choice?

He is better than Tangs and Wilson. Yes Fonts is better but we currently have only 4 defenders!

Its not that he is a bristol boy, its so he can use his experience to mark players like Lambert out of games.

He may not even be on a high wage, that is just guess work.

Carey can cover CB and RB. 1 year would be good to help give the team some fight and leadership.

We wont need Carey if we sign Amougou? Carey can fill in at RB, Foster is our only natural RB. If we get rid of Carey we have to go and buy another RB.

Joe Edwards? About time we gave the kids a bit more responsibility rather than keep signing players 'just in case'.

Id offer Carey pay as you play deal. In all liklihood he'll receive a better offer elsewhere and move, which is fine providing we have cover.

In saying this it always feels personal or spiteful such has he divided opinion, but James should be released all together.

Spink is a former top level player who has become a coach, James is a former top level player.

If James was kept on, which he definitely shouldn't be, even if it was solely as a coach it is an unnecessary distraction. Free up his wages, don't cloud the issue, if he remains as a coach I'd give it 15 games before someone on here suggests him coming out of retirement.

Louis was never the quickest centre half even during his youth so at 35 (36 half way through next season) he has to rely on experience which is fine when playing against more physical frontmen but no use at all when confronted by a nippy forward or winger. If he was offered a new contract he would most likely get very few starts and be kept on out of a sense of loyalty rather than a genuine need for his services. You could also present an argument for keeping Jamie Mc, but again at 34 he's not a long term solution. This summer we have a chance to clear out a lot of players who are not going to improve the squad and who are not needed any longer. I'll be sad to see the end of Louis's career at Ashton Gate but the Championship is not a place for sentiment.

We may have a lot of players out of contract but there are still those who don't appear to be in Derek's plans who are still in contract such as Stewart. The Board have been saying we need to trim the squad for a long time now and rightly so. But when you reduce the size of the squad you cannot afford to carry dead weight. I'm sure the aim is to get the squad size down to 24/25 at the same time improving the quality, so if you were to keep Carey on that would be one less slot to bring in a young hungry player with potential who could be a mainstay for a good few years or could be sold on at a profit, something we as a club have not done regularly for many years.

As things stand I'd release all those mentioned by Evy11_BCFC who are out of contract with the exception of Cisse and replace those with a keeper (as good as we could afford, nothing against Deano but I do feel we could do better) 2 quality full back and a ball winning centre half 2 mid-fielders one an experianced playmaker the other a promising young talent and an out and out goal scorer. In addition to this I'd listen to offers for Killkenny Marvin Elliot, Brett Pitman (who I enjoy watching and rate myself but not sure Del has the same opinion) and possibly Woolford,( although I do think we'll see more from woolford next season in a better balanced side) We have enough experience left in the squad in the shape of Fontaine Foster and Stead along with Killkenny and Elliot if we don't off load them. This summer is a chance to shape our next few seasons by building a young hungry talented squad with a few wise heads nurturing them to their full potential. Laying the foundations of a quality squad is as important and laying the foundations for the new stadium and possibly more so, you don't get many 25k gates in league 1.

Lansdown wants to make some money,not just give away 8 mil a year.

AV is his only chance of making a VERY tidy profit from City (and fair enough too) with its ability to be a money producing asset 300+ days of the year.

If that was the case he would've jacked it in long ago. Lansdown will never profit from Bristol City (stadium or not), no-one in football does except for a select few at the very very top (and the players of course) and even then the profits are pretty dismal. The purpose of the stadium is to limit our losses.

Whilst I would love a mass exodus, we should be wary that it is normal for clubs with a high turnover of players pre-season to struggle as the new players adapt. For that reason it could be worth offering a few one year deals and slowly and steadily rebuild. I believe next season should be about progress, not necessarily a full blown assault which as a club we do not really have the infrastructure for.

To limit OUR losses?

Are you on the board?

The debt is Lansdowns,held against the club's parent company at 0% interest.

Of course SL will make money.

He owns the land,new stadium and all associated income lock stock and barrel.

Why do you think he now owns BRUFC?

Games played at least 2-3 times per week via both codes at AV,plus conferences,shows,expo's and in the off-season music concerts,Billy Graham et all.

The pubs open to all 7 days a week,as will the restaurants and the Hotel.

The idea,in case you haven't grasped it,is for AV to be a commercially successful venture that just happens to hold sporting events!

The Hotel will hold 150+ rooms,full 5 nights a week (this is the long term plan) of guests attending conferences,seminars and just about anything else you can imagine.

Where will they eat and drink?

Yup,in AV's facilities,as will more and more locals eventually.

Concert goers will pack out the bars as will of course the rugby and football fans.

The corporate boxes will sell for exhorbitant money.

This will be the best all in one venue in the whole of the south-west.

It will be very profitable.Lansdowns no fool,thats why he's worth 750 mil and counting.

When he's had enough,someone will come in and buy the above facility with all its spare land (don't forget he's now going for all 42 acres) and SL will pocket a fortune.

I cannot understand why some fans cannot grasp this basic premise - that is the stadium will make more from non-football events by miles.

Stick Red Hot Chilli Peppers in there and (including standing) you would get 40,000 peeps @ 50 squid a pop = 2 million quid.Plus food and drink.

Thats as much as City will get in season ticket sales for all of next year,earned in one night.

Lansdown has brilliantly found a way to finance his hobbies (BCFC and BRUFC) whilst getting others to pay for it.

Good luck to him.

A little condescending there arn`t we and if you havn`t grasped it, AV hasn`t started yet and if/when it does it`s going to be 2/3 seasons to completion maybe 4 depending on the start date. SL will not be looking to throw money around for another 4 seasons as well as another £20M in annual losses over that period.....he`s not stupid, that`s why he`s worth £750M and counting.

PDG

I imagine he'd have a lot more to offer than Spink having been playing international an Prem football only two years ago.

I want to see progress and improvements with the squad. Keeping fringe players such as Carey would only hold us back - there's no future with him so spend his wages on improvements. Or we'll be here again in 12 months.

He won't want to coach here, he lives in plymouth remember. He just wanted a swan song and we couldnt really give him that.

I would imagine he'll retire and wait a year or two before coming back into football (I reckon as a pundit)

To limit OUR losses?

Are you on the board?

The debt is Lansdowns,held against the club's parent company at 0% interest.

Of course SL will make money.

He owns the land,new stadium and all associated income lock stock and barrel.

Why do you think he now owns BRUFC?

Games played at least 2-3 times per week via both codes at AV,plus conferences,shows,expo's and in the off-season music concerts,Billy Graham et all.

The pubs open to all 7 days a week,as will the restaurants and the Hotel.

The idea,in case you haven't grasped it,is for AV to be a commercially successful venture that just happens to hold sporting events!

The Hotel will hold 150+ rooms,full 5 nights a week (this is the long term plan) of guests attending conferences,seminars and just about anything else you can imagine.

Where will they eat and drink?

Yup,in AV's facilities,as will more and more locals eventually.

Concert goers will pack out the bars as will of course the rugby and football fans.

The corporate boxes will sell for exhorbitant money.

This will be the best all in one venue in the whole of the south-west.

It will be very profitable.Lansdowns no fool,thats why he's worth 750 mil and counting.

When he's had enough,someone will come in and buy the above facility with all its spare land (don't forget he's now going for all 42 acres) and SL will pocket a fortune.

I cannot understand why some fans cannot grasp this basic premise - that is the stadium will make more from non-football events by miles.

Stick Red Hot Chilli Peppers in there and (including standing) you would get 40,000 peeps @ 50 squid a pop = 2 million quid.Plus food and drink.

Thats as much as City will get in season ticket sales for all of next year,earned in one night.

Lansdown has brilliantly found a way to finance his hobbies (BCFC and BRUFC) whilst getting others to pay for it.

Good luck to him.

Woah snappy, we all appreciate the potential for increased income, but huge income doesn't mean huge profits! Take your concert example, sure £2m may be achieved in ticket sales in that contrived example, but consider the expenditure. £x to ticket agents, £x to promoters, £x to the record label, £x to management, £x to the band, £x on staffing costs, £x on security and health and safety. It isn't a pot falling in Lansdown's lap.

Also, take a look at the Reading takeover. If we get the stadium there will be huge parallels between Madjeski and Lansdown. Madjeski built the stadium complex etc for £25m, has loans to the club of almost £30m, and he has just sold his stake in the club for £40m. Reading are also an extremely well run club. Didn't Lansdown underwrite £12m of losses or something stupid last year? More than a quarter of the value of a controlling stake in a newly promoted Premier League club in one year!

I agree, this type of mentality has cost us dear over the last few seasons

Players to keep:

Gerken

Fontaine

Nyatanga

Carey

Elliott

Kilkenny

Stead

Pitman

Cisse

Skuse

Adomah

Bolasie

Ribeiro

Wilson

Bryan

Reid

We should try to sign Amougou, a fast striker, a left midfielder (Ritchie from Swindon?) a left back and a central midfielder (someone similar to Nicky Bailey or Barry Robson)

Players to keep:

Gerken

Fontaine

Nyatanga

Carey

Elliott

Kilkenny

Stead

Pitman

Cisse

Skuse

Adomah

Bolasie

Ribeiro

Wilson

Bryan

Reid

We should try to sign Amougou, a fast striker, a left midfielder (Ritchie from Swindon?) a left back and a central midfielder (someone similar to Nicky Bailey or Barry Robson)

I'd get rid of Elliot, Ribeiro and possibly Kilkenny and Nyatanga.

Who said he would be 5th choice?

Its not that he is a bristol boy, its so he can use his experience to mark players like Lambert out of games.

He may not even be on a high wage, that is just guess work.

Carey can cover CB and RB. 1 year would be good to help give the team some fight and leadership.

Carey offers good cover at RB. link with Skuse and probably Edwards and City have lots of options to cover this position in Foster's absence

I'd get rid of Elliot, Ribeiro and possibly Kilkenny and Nyatanga.

I think most people would agree Elliott is a key player for us when he's on form.

I know Ribeiro is injury prone, but he's such a talent, has pace, skill and a footballing brain, something lost on Foster and some of our other players.

Kilkenny is probably our best player at retaining possession and is useful when we want to hold onto a lead, would need a replacement if he left.

I think most people would agree Elliott is a key player for us when he's on form.

I know Ribeiro is injury prone, but he's such a talent, has pace, skill and a footballing brain, something lost on Foster and some of our other players.

Kilkenny is probably our best player at retaining possession and is useful when we want to hold onto a lead, would need a replacement if he left.

I don't think they would agree in all honesty. Not the player he was, admire his ethic but his form has deteriorated dramatically in the last few seasons. Ribero is made of glass. Kilkenny doesn't exactly play many ball splitting passes and isn't a team player at all. Always moaning at everyone else.

Archived