IGNORED

Olympics Vs Euros

jimtastic

I was listening to the Olympics footie draw this morning and heard all the talk about the FA not allowing players selected for the Euros to play in the Olympics.

Everyone is working under the assumption that all the England players would rather play in the Euros than the Olympics. Is it just me who thinks that if I was in the England players' shoes, it wouldn't be straightforward decision? A one-off chance to play for Britain in a home olympics with packed stadiums vs the Euros, playing in a rudderless squad after a lackluster qualifying campaign. Or is playing for Team GB seen as less patriotic than wearing the 3 Lions? It's a competition that the rest of the world take seriously, and we don't (because we don't usually play in it), so it's not like it's a mickey mouse competition.

football should not even be an Olympic sport.

I don't see why not. It's the world's most popular one. Seems daft to have a celebration of sport and to leave out the #1 in the world.

I think the Olympics this year should also have darts, snooker, shove hapenny and conkers. That would improve our medal table a bit.

I was listening to the Olympics footie draw this morning and heard all the talk about the FA not allowing players selected for the Euros to play in the Olympics.

Everyone is working under the assumption that all the England players would rather play in the Euros than the Olympics. Is it just me who thinks that if I was in the England players' shoes, it wouldn't be straightforward decision? A one-off chance to play for Britain in a home olympics with packed stadiums vs the Euros, playing in a rudderless squad after a lackluster qualifying campaign. Or is playing for Team GB seen as less patriotic than wearing the 3 Lions? It's a competition that the rest of the world take seriously, and we don't (because we don't usually play in it), so it's not like it's a mickey mouse competition.

I can just imagine the response from Alex Ferguson if Wayne Rooney said he would rather participate in the Olympics , thus potentially missing the start of the Premier League season.

football should not even be an Olympic sport.

I agree. For sports where The Olympics is not the pinnacle they should simply not be in it. No young Tennis or Football player grows up dreaming of participating in The Olympics and for me that makes it frankly embarassing that these sports are represented. Think how annoyed you would be if you were 1500m runner who had worked their whole life to try and simply be an Olympian, you finally manage it and then you see someone like Andy Murray also participating. There is no way he is particularly bothered about The Olympics and would deep down rather be saving his energy for The US Open.

My bloody dad has decided to have his 60th birthday party the same night as I have a ticket for the Olympic mens quarter final at Baadiff, considering if all goes to play it could quite possible be team GB, I don't quite what the flipping heck i'm gonna do now.

My bloody dad has decided to have his 60th birthday party the same night as I have a ticket for the Olympic mens quarter final at Baadiff, considering if all goes to play it could quite possible be team GB, I don't quite what the flipping heck i'm gonna do now.

Were going to that! We got them for the other quarter final. Could do a swap?

Are they still doing the limpics? I thought they might have cancelled it by now!

I'm not interested until ENGLAND are taking part to be honest!

Euro's have all the best teams in Europe in.

Olympics have Gabon in one of the groups.

Bit like asking would you rather win Champions League or Carling Cup.

Much as I would love to watch the Olympics football there is only 3/4 decent teams in it.

Archived