IGNORED

The Crying Reality........glasgow Rangers Fc

Dolman Block B

As a St Johnstone supporter, I remember being at a party many miles from Glasgow. (Approx 150!) Anyhow the conversation turned to football. Turns out most of the guys there were Rangers fans!!!!! (Support your home town club, why don't you?/Glory hunters?)) I tried to point out that they seemed to be spending a hell of a lot on foreign imports -- Laudrups, Gascoine, De Boers etc. Anyhow, they walked off, (thankfully not kicking me in!!) Generally we (like most other teams in Scotland) are referred to as 'diddies'

On visiting their forums, they want to leave Scottish football and let it die...as them leaving would cause it to die.

There is a certain arrogance there...so I find it hard to have sympathy. Success bought on money not rightfully theirs and a feeling that being a Rangers fan makes you better than the 'diddies'

Support your home team.

So, if Rangers went to the wall, or dropped down the leagues, how do you think that would effect the SPL, especially now scottish clubs maybe able to push through the changes they want, without having to wait for the inevitable Celtic and Rangers Veto?

From what I can see, this may be the best ever time to progress the SPL and let a bit more money filter into clubs other than the old firm.

Any chance of that happening now? I'd be interested to know from a Scots supporters perspective.

Who really knows. But Celtic aren't that great. And European money could filter down. I just wish the Edinburgh clubs could merge, also Dundee/Dundee United and make some real forces to compete with the old infirm. Scotland then might grow, As it is, whatever way, I think the only way is European mediocrity (at best). Scotland has,can and does produce good footballers. But we are a very small pond.

It's such a shame, such a shame it's not Celtic.

Rangers fans never do themselves any favours do they? You try to have sympathy and then they just undo it all with there twisted, bigoted, sectarian nonsense.

Celtic are not in this mess because they are bigger, better and more visionary in there general approach to football and life.

Having said that I still don't want Rangers to go out of business - all the football clubs in Scotland would suffer if they do.

Rangers fans never do themselves any favours do they? You try to have sympathy and then they just undo it all with there twisted, bigoted, sectarian nonsense.

Celtic are not in this mess because they are bigger, better and more visionary in there general approach to football and life.

Re your first point; and Celtics fans are all a lovely bunch of kind-hearted chaps who would never do such a thing, aren't they?

Re your second point; garbage, absolute garbage.

I will always have sympathy for the people who matter by far the most, the fans.

One thing it might, no will, do is give the 3rd place team the chance to compete in the Champions League, bring in much greater revenue and, if that club manage it well, it will make the SPL a far more interesting and competitive prospect. You are likely to see, imo, a number of clubs in the SPL going for it knowing they all have a reasonable chance of ending up 2nd. 5 years down the track when Rangers do come back and all the better for it they and Celtic will not be auto champions every season and that will stop them dreaming of joining the EPL.

So, in short, through adversity and catastrophe we end up with a better league for ALL clubs.

Even as a Celtic supporter I feel bad for the genuine, reasonable fans of Rangers.

Rangers have absolutely nobody to blame but themselves, however. They've cheated the taxman, they've cheated their opposition (and not only Celtic), they've cheated the whole of scottish football and beyond.

It's just a shame for them when they needed someone with their best interests at heart after years of David Murray's financial mismanagement they got a crook, who bought the club for a pound and installed himself as preferred creditor on their assets. His appointed administators (Duff and Phelps) have been shambolic. The club are STILL making losses, the search for new owners rumbles on and all the while they continue to charge heavily for their services.

Some of the arrogance is quite galling, but not unexpected. For years Rangers (and Celtic) fans have bemoaned the 'diddy' teams as worthless, however anyone now who dares not to unite in saving such a 'great instution' is seen as an enemy. (Just today an employee has given an interview warning clubs in Scotland there will be consequences from supporters for those 'against' them).

I think most likely now is liquidation and starting afresh in SFL3. It might be a long road but they'll of course be back.

In terms of the Old Firm ruining scottish football, it's a tough one. Of course they could have done more for a competitive league, but their main instinct is to maintain the success of their own side. Would City fans agree to hypothetical proposals that would make it easier for teams to leapfrog the club to success? One of the reasons many clubs have said they wouldn't want both sides in England is because it would hinder their chances. (Turkeys not voting for Xmas, etc). However a successful Celtic (and Rangers) in the EPL would certainly make it more competitive, yet clubs choose against it for their own success. It isn't as black and white as many neutrals claim and the Old Firm certainly aren't alone in looking after number one.

as much as I dislike Rangers, Scottish football needs the old firm.

It's short sighted to say it gives other clubs a chance to win something but the reality is that the rest of the clubs in the league plan their budgets around the old firm fixtures.

4,000 Celtic or Rangers away fans brings much needed revenue into these clubs as much as a share of the gate receipts at a 40 or 50,000 Ibrox or Park Head full house.

Take away half of this revenue could have serious financial implications for a lot of these clubs.

They have done wrong and should face the consequences but in doing so the SFA need to be very sure on the ongoing affect this will have on on the rest of Scottish football

Re your first point; and Celtics fans are all a lovely bunch of kind-hearted chaps who would never do such a thing, aren't they?

Re your second point; garbage, absolute garbage.

The facts speak for themselves - saying something is garbage doesn't change reality.

Why do so many people support Celtic on here?

Most Celtic fans wouldn't pish on an Englishman if they were on fire.

And as for those green brigade scum...well THAT picture said it all really.

I'm not sure they support Celtic (Bristol City fan m'self)... it's just that they are hacked off with the continuous flow of bile from Rangers fans toward anyone who queries their "right" to run the world in a consequence free way

Greenock Morton for i

Don't certain groups of Rangers fans have (or had) connections with groups like the UVF? Haven't they killed British Servicemen in the past? And innocent civillians?

All sectarianism is bullshit and both Old Firm sets of fans have done their fair share of fanning the flames. I know a lot of Celtic fans and none of them have as yet told me they'd particularly like to see me dead so I'll give them the same benefit of the doubt so many seem to give Rangers fans

Don't certain groups of Rangers fans have (or had) connections with groups like the UVF? Haven't they killed British Servicemen in the past? And innocent civillians?

All sectarianism is bullshit and both Old Firm sets of fans have done their fair share of fanning the flames. I know a lot of Celtic fans and none of them have as yet told me they'd particularly like to see me dead so I'll give them the same benefit of the doubt so many seem to give Rangers fans

This +1

Bloody hell who'd be Neil Lennon ...

Offences against Neil Lennon since 2000

• University students Gregg Miller and Neil MacLeod were fined a total of £900 after Mr Lennon was attacked in September 2003 in Glasgow's west-end.
  • Car salesman Thomas Ferrie was then fined £500 in April 2004 for road rage after chasing Mr Lennon along the M8 and yelling abuse.
  • In January 2009, Rangers fans Jeffrey Carrigan and David Whitelaw were jailed for two years each after the then Celtic coach was attacked in the city's Ashton Lane.
  • Stephen Birrell was locked up for eight months last October for posting comments on a Facebook page called "Neil Lennon should be banned".
  • Robert Rollie was spared jail that month after he wrote threatening messages about the Celtic boss on another Facebook site.
  • David Craig was sentenced to 14 months in March this year after he posted a picture online of Mr Lennon covered in bullet wounds.
  • Hearts fan John Wilson was convicted of a breach of the peace and jailed for eight months for lunging at Mr Lennon at Tynecastle last year.
  • Christopher Hay was charged in March this year with threatening Mr Lennon on a social networking site. He made no plea when he appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court. No date was set for a further hearing.
  • Trevor Muirhead and Neil McKenzie jailed for five years for sending devices they believed were capable of exploding and causing injury.

None of this is acceptable, obviously.

But why always him ?

Smoke and fire ?

Sad.

They really are in deep shite by the sound of it. If they go it surley would be the most high profile club ever that it has happened to!

Or is it?

Fiorentina are probably the most hi profile club, who technically were liquidated

But why always him ?

Smoke and fire ?

Because he is ginger?

Probably because he is very opinionated, and speaks his mind.

Now people may not like what he has to say, but no need for what he puts up with. I would have jacked that job in years ago. Shows he is a mentally strong individual. Could stand him in good stead to manage down south.

But why always him ?

Smoke and fire ?

It's always him because he's a Protestant in charge of Celtic. That doesn't really wind me up, but to some it's a fair reason to attack him on the street and write death threats on facebook. I don't know Neil Lennon personally, but I've never seen anything that makes me think the man would be gobbling of to blokes in the street to the point he gets a kicking

Think your post sums everything up

Still would be seriously worrying should Mr Lansdown call it a day

Would another mega rich man find Bristol City an interesting buy?

If lansdown called it a day he would have to write off the money we owe him or liquadate the club

But why always him ?

Smoke and fire ?

Because he's manager at Celtic? Because he's Ginger? I haven't a scooby whether he's Catholic or Protestant or even Jedi... and what's more I don't bloody care. What is evident is the huge amount of intolerance shown toward fellow human beings whenever fans of Celtic or Rangers appear on the horizon.

he is also aggresive and gobby which doesn't help

To be fair, there aren't many shrinking violets that make it as a succesful manager in any field. Warnock fits aggressive and gobby but only a crank would want him executed. He may not be be everyone's cuppa but that doesnt make for a contract on his head

Because he's manager at Celtic? Because he's Ginger? I haven't a scooby whether he's Catholic or Protestant or even Jedi... and what's more I don't bloody care. What is evident is the huge amount of intolerance shown toward fellow human beings whenever fans of Celtic or Rangers appear on the horizon.

Well that is quite simply not true.

There are people on both sides that have been guilty of offences, of course, but the amount both clubs, and the massive support of both clubs have done in raising money for charities or people in need, is staggering.

Lets not forget Celtic fans, especially, have travelled the continent in a number Bristol City and the majority of English sides could only dream of, and created nothing but overwhelmingly positive relations on the way.

Archived