IGNORED

A Return Ticket

PFree

Like all of you, I am naturally disappointed that we didn't do ourselves justice today, we were poor.

I do however feel that in a sense, this is a blessing in disguise. If you are honest, you'll agree that we have been poor all season. Even when we went on the 11 game winning run, we scraped through games 1:0 and never really shone?!

If I had a choice, it would be to go up with a strong squad who had dominated the second division, basically in the knowledge that we stood a good chance of at least stabilising and consolidating in Div 1 for a couple of seasons. In this way we can build again.

For me, we need a proven striker, somebody who's done it at the top level please!!!

As for the entertainment value this season, we have five main needs as fans:-

To play attractive, attacking football - Failed, we have good possession but never have it in the final third where it hurts;

To score loads of goals - Failed, we need a proven out and out striker! Gilly will hopefully turn out Ok though?!

To defend well - Passed, the defence have been outstanding this year which bodes very well for the future;

To win enough games to get us up - Failed, with three points up for grabs now, this is vital for obvious reasons, draws are not good enough so we must be more attacking?

A Manager who is honest with the fans - Failed, we have been really poor this season during long spells, and yes, we have failed Danny, that's why we are still in Div 2 next season! I am sure many more fans would like DW more if every now and again he expressed some more open honesty, rather than the same tape recorded interview after every game?!

So in summary, Brighton fans may feel great right now, but mark my words, they'll come straight back down as some of the poorer Div 1 teams have just been relegated. We would have struggled to stay up, unless we pumped more millions in on another four or five top level players. Then just think what happened last time we tried that...Akinbyeeeee and Thorpe etc... straight back down again which took us how many years to recover from?

Cheer up, there will be players in and out in the close season but we will come back much stronger, hopefully then be in a position to build from firmer foundations.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
Yup, I'd only be confident with promotion if we win the league comfortably. Had we have gone up today, a fair bit of money would of been spent but I don't think we would have been ready, then we would of come back down and looked forward to massive debt.

What we need is to strip out the dead wood, get some decent cheap signings in (there are enough about at the moment) and give our youngsters a chance before its too late. We've probably lost Doherty, Coles and maybe Phillips now, and with the financial climate they way it is we won't get a lot for them either. The likes of Fortune, Gillespie, Miller, and all the other so called "fringe" players need to be able to prove themselves next season. We have a lot of talent at the club but it seems to be sat on the bench or out of the squad completely half the time.

Archived