IGNORED

Another Current Premier League Star, And Former England International Joining Us?

Carey's Hooter

hey, i am a regular reader of the forum, just to keep tabs with whats going on, and this is my first post. Dont shoot the messenger, but just passing this info on as i believe this could be another major signing for us.....

i have it on good authority that a certain Alan Smith will be leaving newcastle within the next week or two, and has expressed his desire to leave the Premier League altogether and try and rebuild what is left of his career, with a new challenge. He is no longer interested in the big pay day, or signing on fee, but wants to just play football at a club showing ambition where he can play regularly, hence his loan move to MK dons in january.

That move was to just put him in the shop window, and make people aware he is still actually playing.....

Now this leads me onto the juicy bits, bristol city have been in contact with smith and his agent, and smith has spoken to mcinnes, and likes what he hears (Derek must have summit about him i think to be able to pull this off)...he is has been looking around the city to check the surroundings already and is due to make a decision about his future very soon, but is seriously considering his next move to be in the west country.....

i heard we had been looking at a premier league star, but i had no idea it could be alan smith, i was expecting some proper has been, and not someone that can still play a bit.

and before people jump on me about 'source', i will first and foremost say that this info has come from a work colleague of mine who comes from rothwell, and is an avid superleague fan and has no interest or knowledge about football, his son is best friends with alan smith and the members of the band pigeon detectives (remember them???)......

Yo Geezer, Welcome ! Whoo !!!! First post, Straight into the deep end, Respect Mr Hooter, Be prepared for a massive assult on youre integrity, your wisdom, are you gas on a wind up / but from me welcome and thanks for the post....Now keep yer head down !!!

I am surprised to hear he is still playing, He has had bad injuries, slowly moved back from striker to mattacking midfielder/midfielder/defensive midfielder.

I would be massively underwhelmed at this, never really rated the bloke, yes he would e good at this level..... When he was fit and not 30 + he has done so little for so long all I can see is another Michael ridges signing. No thanks from me.

hey, i am a regular reader of the forum, just to keep tabs with whats going on, and this is my first post. Dont shoot the messenger, but just passing this info on as i believe this could be another major signing for us.....

i have it on good authority that a certain Alan Smith will be leaving newcastle within the next week or two, and has expressed his desire to leave the Premier League altogether and try and rebuild what is left of his career, with a new challenge. He is no longer interested in the big pay day, or signing on fee, but wants to just play football at a club showing ambition where he can play regularly, hence his loan move to MK dons in january.

That move was to just put him in the shop window, and make people aware he is still actually playing.....

Now this leads me onto the juicy bits, bristol city have been in contact with smith and his agent, and smith has spoken to mcinnes, and likes what he hears (Derek must have summit about him i think to be able to pull this off)...he is has been looking around the city to check the surroundings already and is due to make a decision about his future very soon, but is seriously considering his next move to be in the west country.....

i heard we had been looking at a premier league star, but i had no idea it could be alan smith, i was expecting some proper has been, and not someone that can still play a bit.

and before people jump on me about 'source', i will first and foremost say that this info has come from a work colleague of mine who comes from rothwell, and is an avid superleague fan and has no interest or knowledge about football, his son is best friends with alan smith and the members of the band pigeon detectives (remember them???)......

You were warned !!!

• Admin

Hope this isn't true. He is past his best

I do find it amusing when fans on here (& I'm not directing this entirely at you Super) dismiss a player as being past their best. At his best (playing for Leeds) the team that came in for him was Manchester United. At his best we wouldn't even be able to get his agent to answer the phone.

He may or may not come, he may or may not be good enough for us. But if he were at the peak of his career he'd be playing in a team in the top half of the Prem & we wouldn't even be discussing it.

For what it's worth, I heard the very same rumour about 2 weeks ago from somebody inside the club.

I'm pretty sure this info is true, but I can't see why he would take a substancial pay cut to play for us when he could play for at least 20 other championship clubs for more money. Unless he's recently become a buddhist.

This would fit in with Del Boy's previous habit of getting a bit more out of players who have seemed to have nothing left. Alan Smith would add an air of toughness and composure to our midfield and be a useful emergency striker. He was a very good player in his day and is capable of influencing Championship games. Him and Skuse would be a pretty good midfield.

He has hardly been ripping up trees at MKDons, and was woeful for the Barcodes at this level when they were relegated 2 seasons ago. Leeds were sniffing last summer but didnt happen

No upside unfortunately, was better as a striker, but that horrible leg break put paid to that iirc

Not that I would suggest getting him in but he wasn't woeful according to this when in the Championship.

http://www.nufcblog.org/2010/05/newcastle-united-player-review-0910-midfielders/#.T6mrs8Utrkc

I also seem to remember him doing a great jon on Evander Sno at St James' Park.

I do find it amusing when fans on here (& I'm not directing this entirely at you Super) dismiss a player as being past their best. At his best (playing for Leeds) the team that came in for him was Manchester United. At his best we wouldn't even be able to get his agent to answer the phone.

He may or may not come, he may or may not be good enough for us. But if he were at the peak of his career he'd be playing in a team in the top half of the Prem & we wouldn't even be discussing it.

I imagine most fans on here want to see the young upcoming Alan Smith who goes on to become a Premiershit star. Rather than the old, past it Alan Smith who has long since ceased being a Premiershit star.

Andy Cole is the one and only (maybe Lita also?) player I can think of who went on to better things. Says it all about our academy, coaching and scouting departments.

My initial thought were similar to some of you here, then I remembered when we signed Norman Hunter back in the first division days. My dads immediate reaction was "If I wanted to see animals I would go to the zoo!" It took one game for him to realise that Normans reputation as a hard man disguised his ability as a footballer. I have seen enough of Smith in the past to know he has a good footballing brain and an eye for a pass, with the right players around him to do the running I think he could do the Tinnion "Shotgun" role in front of the back 4 spraying passes around. This is not as ridiculous as it first seems on paper.

• Admin

I imagine most fans on here want to see the young upcoming Alan Smith who goes on to become a Premiershit star. Rather than the old, past it Alan Smith who has long since ceased being a Premiershit star.

Andy Cole is the one and only (maybe Lita also?) player I can think of who went on to better things. Says it all about our academy, coaching and scouting departments.

Next you'll be telling me you're against the signing of Zinedine Zidane & Luis Figo :nono:

Archived