IGNORED

Ashley Cole

Ian M

Well we saw it in the England Spain match, the Chelsea Barca matches and now in the final. What's important is that we understand why it happened and don't just look at the result and base our coaching ideas off of it. Just ignore the hype over Di Matteo and understand that while he's done a great job motivationally, by caving in to the big players demands an picking them (thus failing in the league) it's not exactly a tactical masterclass being battered for 300 minutes and being very lucky with victories.

As for Ashely Cole, complete jerk, great player. I'm happy separating the two.

No one in 5 years will look back at the 2012 champions league and go "Oh yeah chelsea got battered and were so lucky", they look at the name who won it. Who cares if they got battered, surely thats good defending?

If England won the Euros playing this way would you be over the moon that England has finally won something other than that '66 World Cup or annoyed at the dull football we played along the way?

Naturally enough everyone would prefer to win things playing great stuff, but I suppose Chelsea don't care. Their name is on the Cup. Unfortunately they're not exactly great to watch for neutrals. While I wanted them to win, I wouldn't have been unduly bothered had they lost. And if people think that is wrong then tough. I only get excited about one team.

No one in 5 years will look back at the 2012 champions league and go "Oh yeah chelsea got battered and were so lucky", they look at the name who won it. Who cares if they got battered, surely thats good defending?

When a team creates multiple chances to score it's not good defending at all. Chelsea deserved to win because of Bayerns poor finishing. Chelsea were lucky that on the night finishing was so poor when usually it's not. Bayern were the better team, they created more and defended better. The wonderful thing about football is that doesn't determine who wins.

There's two distinct camps when it comes to winning games in football fans and it plays out on OTIB throughout the season. There's the people who think winning is everything. We won we won we won. That's all there is. And anyone who says anything negative and critical after a win, is a moaner, a doubter someone who does not support the team like they do. They think the other camp is disloyal and not a proper supporter.

The other side who want a little bit more than winning. They want glory too. Or maybe they just want glory. We won, but... The people who don't obsess over the result and are much more interested in entertainment, playing well and discussing and analysing it. Frankly they look down on the happy clappers as a bit simple.

I can't convince you that winning isn't everything. The glory of how you won defines the memorability of the occasion. Man Utd in 99 will stick with me forever, Zidanes goal against Leverkusen, Liverpools comeback against Milan. Not only will people not remember how Chelsea won, but they won't remember them winning at all, because it wasn't done with glory, they just won. (Obviously excludes Chelsea fans here)

Chelsea got battered for 100 minutes but then they would wouldn't they, not exactly a neutral venue, Bayerns' players knew every inch of that pitch. IIRC, Real Madrid got battered as well in the SF at the Alianz.

Yes Bayern missed some sitters, but again, that was purely down to the pressure of playing at home in front of their demanding fans, who thought they only had to turn up to win it.

As for Chelsea, they did what they set out to do, stop Robben & Ribery. Bosingwa & Cole were immense, Cahill & Luiz did very well considering they hadn't played for over a month, Mikel had his best game in a Chelsea shirt protecting the back 4 & Lampard put in a very disciplined performance.

Cech did what he had to do but wasn;t really tested in the whole 120 minutes due to Bayerns' poor finishing & Chelseas' excellent defending.

Going forward, it was always going to be tough as it was an away game. Drogba worked hard but was isolated too often, Kalou & Bertrand did what they were told to do, to stop Ribery & Robben.

Although Torres was involved in winning the corner that led to Drogbas' world class header, I thought he was the worst player on the pitch. All to often he would just let Bayerns' LB trot forward without tracking back and always left Bosingwa with 2 men to defend against......his body language was also shocking......as showed when RDM was deciding the penalty takers.

Overall Chelsea were lucky but then there have been many winners of the Champions league who have been very fortunate to win it, ManUre being one of them.

BCAGFC

Some people on this forum really need to take up another sport. The comments are worryingly poor!

Chelsea did what they had to do to win. End of story. Look at Bayern's line-up, it was packed full of attacking players. All this anti-football bollocks does my head in.

Bernard Hopkins is the most boring boxer I've ever seen. But he was still a world champion at 47 years old.

oh sorry, I thought Chelsea had won the European champions league. :)

1 goal from 25 attempts I would say was not good enough.

I never said it was good enough but the quote said they didn't put it in the back of the net... they did, just as much as Munich.

Archived