IGNORED

Stephen Henderson Stays At West Ham.

Cider Army

One of the biggest blunders the club has made in recent times.

In Henderson and Deano we had arguably two of the best keepers in the league, but instead we extend the contract of a has-been keeper on huge wages for... well im still unsure what for, a PR exercise, shirt sales?!? This relegated one of our most promising players to 3rd choice, resulting in him understandably walking.

Now the said has-been keeper has been binned, we are left without a suitable alternative to Deano.

Cracking business...

Still annoys me the fact we let a promising keeper go and replaced him with somebody at the end of their career. Its not as if Jamo even had a good world cup before we signed him! Nice bloke and all that but a terrible decision by the club with hindsight, one which were still trying to sort out now.

Any sell on clause do we know?

Our original fee from Pompey was £150k with a sell on, I believe, so assuming West Ham paid more than that (probably £400-£500k, I'd guess) then there would be something on its' way to us in addition to the £16k Pompey were short of paying when he left them.

Still annoys me the fact we let a promising keeper go and replaced him with somebody at the end of their career. Its not as if Jamo even had a good world cup before we signed him! Nice bloke and all that but a terrible decision by the club with hindsight, one which were still trying to sort out now.

We never let him go he would not sign a new contract and we had no choice to give DJ another year.

We never let him go he would not sign a new contract and we had no choice to give DJ another year.

Wasn't that because he was given zero first team assurances? Which he clearly got elsewhere.

Said at the time, this one will come back to bite us on the bum. Time will tell, but his heroics for Yeovil were worth going out on a limb for.

Great young keeper, not many around. We had one on our books and did little to keep him. What an error of judgement.

Wasn't that because he was given zero first team assurances? Which he clearly got elsewhere.

Said at the time, this one will come back to bite us on the bum. Time will tell, but his heroics for Yeovil were worth going out on a limb for.

Great young keeper, not many around. We had one on our books and did little to keep him. What an error of judgement.

He started on the bench at Pompey and is now on the bench at west ham. He could go on to be a great keeper but by the way people talk about him you would think he should be on the plane going to the euros.

Disgraceful decision to waste money on James and let this top keeper go.

why?

your so anti james its stupid, the season Henderson left (we didn't let him go he refused to be third choice behind gerken) James had just kept the second highest number of clean sheets in the league behind swansea's keeper at the time he also had a clause in his contract (agreed with Copout) that if he played a number of games he got an automatic 1 year extention which the club has to honor it had no choice,

if anything it was millen who offered Gerk's a 2 year extention that caused Henderson to leave at the time Gerken was as highly thought of as he is now,

why?

your so anti james its stupid, the season Henderson left (we didn't let him go he refused to be third choice behind gerken) James had just kept the second highest number of clean sheets in the league behind swansea's keeper at the time he also had a clause in his contract (agreed with Copout) that if he played a number of games he got an automatic 1 year extention which the club has to honor it had no choice,

if anything it was millen who offered Gerk's a 2 year extention that caused Henderson to leave at the time Gerken was as highly thought of as he is now,

None of that is true. He stayed in a flat with my mate whilst he was living down here, as soon as James signed he knew he wouldn't be getting first team football and wanted out. Can't say I blame him he wanted first team football and wasn't going to get it here.

One of the biggest blunders the club has made in recent times.

In Henderson and Deano we had arguably two of the best keepers in the league, but instead we extend the contract of a has-been keeper on huge wages for... well im still unsure what for, a PR exercise, shirt sales?!? This relegated one of our most promising players to 3rd choice, resulting in him understandably walking.

Now the said has-been keeper has been binned, we are left without a suitable alternative to Deano.

Cracking business...

2 of the Best keepers in the league? Get a grip.

why?

Henderson should now be our number one but we wasted massive money in a keeper that was no better than what we already had. Anyone who thinks David james improved our team is crazy.

None of that is true. He stayed in a flat with my mate whilst he was living down here, as soon as James signed he knew he wouldn't be getting first team football and wanted out. Can't say I blame him he wanted first team football and wasn't going to get it here.

And yet three years down the line he is happy to get splinters at WHU. Another footballing mercenary only chasing the money

He could not get in our team, struggled to get in Pompey's for ages and cant get a sniff at WHU yet some on here bubble on about him being Gordon Banks reincarnated!

And yet three years down the line he is happy to get splinters at WHU. Another footballing mercenary only chasing the money

He could not get in our team, struggled to get in Pompey's for ages and cant get a sniff at WHU yet some on here bubble on about him being Gordon Banks reincarnated!

I cant answer that last time I spoke to him was shortly before he went to Pompey, where he quickly established himself as there number 1. Why he went to West Ham I dont know but he is now back in the Premier League and will replace Green at some stage.

Him leaving did Portsmouth a massive favour, and all of they're players were up for sale to anybody who wanted them. What should he have done? Stayed at Pompey and further cripple the club?

Him leaving did Portsmouth a massive favour, and all of they're players were up for sale to anybody who wanted them. What should he have done? Stayed at Pompey and further cripple the club?

He could have tried to get a club where he had a sniff of playing, because no matter what we think of Rob Green he is Englands Number 2 keeper to probably one of the best 3 keepers in the world, so Henderson was never likely to get a sniff.

He could go on to be a very good keeper and I hope he does but his progress is surely going to be hampered sitting on a bench

He could have tried to get a club where he had a sniff of playing, because no matter what we think of Rob Green he is Englands Number 2 keeper to probably one of the best 3 keepers in the world, so Henderson was never likely to get a sniff.

He could go on to be a very good keeper and I hope he does but his progress is surely going to be hampered sitting on a bench

I agree that West Ham isn't the best club for him to be at, but he simply went to the first club that bid for him. I do however think it completely unfair to lable him a mercenary when the main reason he left Portsmouth was to help the club out, in fact if he was being in any way selfish he would have hung around and waited for a club that could assure him of regular first team football!

I agree that West Ham isn't the best club for him to be at, but he simply went to the first club that bid for him. I do however think it completely unfair to lable him a mercenary when the main reason he left Portsmouth was to help the club out, in fact if he was being in any way selfish he would have hung around and waited for a club that could assure him of regular first team football!

You are probably correct in what you say, I just find it difficult to put the words professional football player, loyalty and help in the same sentence! I do realise there are exeptions though!

Archived