IGNORED

Carey "wants To Stay At City"

City Ben

Suits all parties to be honest. Even the few on here that don't want him anymore should at least be happy he has taken a cut! He is a legend and I am glad he has been handed another year on MERIT!

It's not a case of 'not wanting him anymore'. People are commenting on the club and the squad going forward - views about contract renewal are nothing personal and no reflection on whether we like Carey or not.

I'd like to still have 'legends' such as Gary Shelton, Shaun Taylor and Scott Murray playing for City but all good things must come to an end and it's part of the job of every manager to make that call when necessary.

Del (he must have been aware of the concerns of many fans) went to great pains to say there was no sentiment involved in the decision so we'll have to trust in him that Louis will earn whatever money he's now on by playing a role next season. We certainly couldn't afford to keep him on because 'he's a good bloke to have about the club' - not many clubs at our level would ever do that - and as Del has assured us this was not the case, we have to believe Del sees him as an asset and likely first teamer next year.

My concern would be that with his retention we are obviously likely to bolster our back line less than if he had gone and last season's defence was clearly nowhere near good enough.

In the managers' eyes he earnt this contract so I hope he has a storming season - rather than quickly disappear from first team contention like Scott Murray in his extra season.

It's not a case of 'not wanting him anymore'. People are commenting on the club and the squad going forward - views about contract renewal are nothing personal and no reflection on whether we like Carey or not.

I'd like to still have 'legends' such as Gary Shelton, Shaun Taylor and Scott Murray playing for City but all good things must come to an end and it's part of the job of every manager to make that call when necessary.

Del (he must have been aware of the concerns of many fans) went to great pains to say there was no sentiment involved in the decision so we'll have to trust in him that Louis will earn whatever money he's now on by playing a role next season. We certainly couldn't afford to keep him on because 'he's a good bloke to have about the club' - not many clubs at our level would ever do that - and as Del has assured us this was not the case, we have to believe Del sees him as an asset and likely first teamer next year.

My concern would be that with his retention we are obviously likely to bolster our back line less than if he had gone and last season's defence was clearly nowhere near good enough.

In the managers' eyes he earnt this contract so I hope he has a storming season - rather than quickly disappear from first team contention like Scott Murray in his extra season.

I fully accept that all good things come to an end and the club must move on at some stage. Like Drogba for example. But Del has said it is not on sentiment.

What has annoyed me about people knocking Carey, is their failure to realise he still had the ability to play at this level and was solid this season when needed. I too share your concerns in a sense with him being offered a new deal as I do wonder how much we will bolster the defence over the summer. However for me, he is still good enough to have around. That is my genuine belief and my view is not clouded by my love for a club legend. I still think he can perform when needed and for big games where say it is too risky to play an inexperienced youngster, he could be vital.

Del is not stupid, and will have weighed everything up. I think on and off the pitch it is a good move for everyone. This season will be his last though that's for sure.

Archived