IGNORED

Losses For 3 Years Running, Can We Afford The Contracts?

hippy273

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/contract-Kalifa-Cisse-agree-remain-Bristol-City/story-16208159-detail/story.html

Just reading through this article and i quote

'McInnes is under pressure to further reduce the Ashton Gate wage bill as City owner Steve Lansdown battles to reverse a worrying trend that has seen the club make substantial losses in each of the past three years'

If we keep making losses will this prevent the players coming to us? even the Championship seems to be becoming more and more about the wages and less about the football if we are to survive. I know Lansdown has put an incredible amount of money into the club but when the contracts don't fit the offer. Players like Cisse may go elsewhere :(.

Of course we're forgetting the dream scenario is also possible - player's wages crash, it makes football affordable and accessible again

Hopefully this will happen but there doesn't seem to be any signs of it yet.

Think there will be a lot of unemployed footballers around at the start of august.

BCAGFC

the relegation parachute payouts will be an astronomical unfair advantage compared to just a massive one now - in 2 seasons time what hope will there be for teams like us to ever make it?

Good point, a team that rakes in between 12m & 15m per season for the next 4 seasons will have a massive advantage.

BCAGFC

Of course we're forgetting the dream scenario is also possible - player's wages crash, it makes football affordable and accessible again

I think there's far too many millionaires/billionaires wanting to buy into clubs for that. The money won't run out that easily.

Really begs the question again about the effectiveness of City's scouting and Academy set-ups. Too few young local players breaking through and too few 'rough diamonds' being developed. The new rules are going to really force clubs like ours to be far more introspective and proactive in those areas. Until then we may need to content ourselves with scraping and scrapping by.......

I think there's far too many millionaires/billionaires wanting to buy into clubs for that. The money won't run out that easily.

No club investor can put in more than 6m to cover losses.

Clubs with higher average crowds should benefit as most will have a higher turnover, also commercially viable clubs will prosper.

BCAGFC

No club investor can put in more than 6m to cover losses.

Clubs with higher average crowds should benefit as most will have a higher turnover, also commercially viable clubs will prosper.

BCAGFC

Very true but i'll bet bigger clubs will probably look for a loophole in the rules, most of these business guys have money and greater minds on the side.

Can't we come up with a clever system to hide Steve Lansdown's investment e.g put season tickets up to Fifty grand each and then Steve sends us a cheque for forty nine thousand five hundred the next day, they would never find us out!

The way around it is fairly simple, the owner lets say is a very wealthy oil tycoon, he gets a friend in another company to sponsor a training ground for say £300m over 10 years. Wealthy oil tycoon agrees to invest in friends company for £300m over 10 years to research potential new oil wells in the region, money gets filtered back towards owners club and club has managed to get around the problem.

Every club in the football league is doing the same as us. Every club needs to get their accounts in order over the next 2/3 seasons before fines are handed out to those who are still running at a loss. City have already cut their wage bill by a massive 3 million and those that are negotiating new/extended contracts will need to accept a pay freeze/pay cut. Clubs will no longer be able to go beyond their means and pay more than they can afford.

The way around it is fairly simple, the owner lets say is a very wealthy oil tycoon, he gets a friend in another company to sponsor a training ground for say £300m over 10 years. Wealthy oil tycoon agrees to invest in friends company for £300m over 10 years to research potential new oil wells in the region, money gets filtered back towards owners club and club has managed to get around the problem.

Man City?

Man City?

Man City have just sold some 'development land' worth £4-5 million adjacent to the Etihad Stadium. The price for this land? £400 million. The buyer/developer? Etihad Airlines.... There will always be ways round if you want to circumvent the rules.

In our favour, I believe 'infrastructure & development' is exempted from the fair play and as a sizeable chunk of our losses related to the stadium the last couple of years, I don't think we'll be sailing as close to the wind as you all think

Perhaps it's better to have a large group of wealthy backers rather than one super rich owner.

Just as an example take the new "debt free" Bristol Rovers who might end up with a board of directors consisting of :

Trevor Smallwood ( Chairman)

Noel Edmonds

James Higgs

Nick Higgs

John Laycock

Kenneth Masters

John Pontin

Brian Seymour-Smith

Edward Ware

There are still many means and ways of getting around the hurdles, as previously mentioned. Sponsorship deals will be the key thing. I can't see the club falling too far behind, but as some have mentioned, I do fear that those getting parachute payments will have a mighty advantage in years to come. Still, at least West Ham went up, that pot will be distributed to every club including us, every little helps, right?

I think the mantra for BCFC will be a squad of 24, youth players, and scope for up to five or six loanees. With Mr James off the wage bill too, I imagine we'll be better than where we have been.

Perhaps it's better to have a large group of wealthy backers rather than one super rich owner.

Just as an example take the new "debt free" Bristol Rovers who might end up with a board of directors consisting of :

Noel Edmonds

James Higgs

Nick Higgs

John Laycock

Kenneth Masters

John Pontin

Brian Seymour-Smith

Edward Ware

What about Mr Blobby?

Noel Edmonds

James Higgs

Nick Higgs

John Laycock

Kenneth Masters

John Pontin

Brian Seymour-Smith

Edward Ware

Wasnt Bert Tann a Gash manager from times gone by?

Noel Edmonds

James Higgs

Nick Higgs

John Laycock

Kenneth Masters

John Pontin

Brian Seymour-Smith

Edward Ware

Noel Edmonds asking the banker again, what a -anker. Is Seymour related to Ian, late of your parish.

It's worrying when you look at a graph on one of the papers today (the Mirror I think?) which list all the clubs in the Premier League and the championship and the percentage of wages to revenue for the 2010/11 season. In the bracket of those clubs over 100 percent there were seven championship clubs with us being the worst offender with a wages to revenue ratio of 133 percent. That is unsustainable in anyones book. The clubs behind us were Swansea (149% and QPR 183%). It shouldn't be Premier League or bust !!

Archived