IGNORED

Best City Commentary

magunn

On Radio 5 tonight (8 pm) is a program about Football commentary on the radio, talking about classic commentry and the selection of 3 pieces of commentary from every club in the 92.

Not sure if anyone has submitted a selection for city and clearly many of us didn't hear the commentary live (we were actually there) but what three pieces of RADIO commentary would anyone suggest

My ideas

1) Coventry vs City (the classic 2:2 draw saving both clubs) Phil Tottle (I think) not doing live commentray but very regular updates and practically falling off his chair telling of city equaliser by Donnie Gillies

2) Mansfield vs City ( the 5:4 lazarus event ) Alistair Durden? commentray on the last few minutes

Most of the other major event I never heard the radio commentary for, only the TV commentary after the event.

he was much better than the ones that do it now they scream like a banshee when city shoot and goes out for a throw etc etc

Indeed. I don't know if Tot was a city fan, but he seemed to live and breath city on the radio. Loved the guy.

Dec 10th 1983 Martyn Hirst's winner at Eastville

"1-0 down, 2-1 up we knocked Roverzzzzzz out the Cup..."

I was there but I recorded the whole Radio Bristol broadcast, just in case!

Can't remember who the main commentator was but co-commentator Tony Pulis (sag legend!) was gutted! Made my day!

On my recording (yes, on cassette back then!) us City fans sounded awesomely loud!

One of my greatest memories!

looked more like a trainspotter than a football commentator :laugh:

does he still do the cricket?

Last time I heard him he was doing the cricket.

Physique of a football fan, face like a trainspotter :) you are quite right, perfect face for radio

Brought up listening to radio Bristol and Phil Tottle. Used to love them playing a song and then interrupting by saying there has been a goal always feared the worst!! Him and Colin Howlett for the gas were really good.

Brought up listening to radio Bristol and Phil Tottle. Used to love them playing a song and then interrupting by saying there has been a goal always feared the worst!! Him and Colin Howlett for the gas were really good.

haha, exactly "Phil, there's been a goal?"

"Yes, and it's not good news"

On Radio 5 tonight (8 pm) is a program about Football commentary on the radio, talking about classic commentry and the selection of 3 pieces of commentary from every club in the 92.

Not sure if anyone has submitted a selection for city and clearly many of us didn't hear the commentary live (we were actually there) but what three pieces of RADIO commentary would anyone suggest

My ideas

1) Coventry vs City (the classic 2:2 draw saving both clubs) Phil Tottle (I think) not doing live commentray but very regular updates and practically falling off his chair telling of city equaliser by Donnie Gillies

That would have been old Herbie Gillam.

No commentary then just goal updates. Usually... "All very dissapointing".

Archived