IGNORED

Next Season Odds

Orbital

Now all the teams for next season have been finalised the bookies have us down to struggle again next season. With the levels of investment available to other sides in the division they probably are right. Without a positive restructure of the playing staff we could be in for another tricky year. The list is below:

Credit: Jon Candy

With West Ham claiming the final spot in next seasons Championship we now know all but 1 of next seasons Championship sides.

Can Charlton follow in the footsteps on Norwich and Southampton and win back to back promotions?

How will Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn fair after their relegation from the Premier League?

Well by looking at the odds we can see what the bookmakers think. Leicester are the favourites simply due to their spending power but I seem to recall them being short odds at the start of last season as well.

Bolton are the shortest price of the relegated sides at 11/1 and with Owen Coyle having experience in this division that looks a very good price.

Leeds also look an appealing bit with promotion guru Neil Warnock in charge at Elland Road. Leeds can be backed at 14/1 at William Hill to win the Championship next season.

Championship 2012/13

Odds

Bookmaker

Leicester

8/1

Stan James

Bolton

11/1

bet365

Wolves

12/1

Bet Victor

Birmingham

14/1

bet365

Brighton

14/1

Bet Victor

Leeds

14/1

William Hill

Blackburn

16/1

bet365

Blackpool

16/1

William Hill

Cardiff

16/1

bet365

Sheff Wed

20/1

Bet Victor

Charlton

25/1

Bet Victor

Ipswich

25/1

Skybet

Middlesbrough

25/1

bet365

Nottm Forest

28/1

Coral

Burnley

33/1

Coral

Hull

33/1

bet365

Derby

50/1

William Hill

Milwall

66/1

bet365

Watford

66/1

bet365

Bristol City

80/1

William Hill

Crystal Palace

80/1

Paddy Power

Peterborough

150/1

bet365

Barnsley

200/1

bet365

Crazy price for Bolton. I know it is all based around the amount of people that may or may not put a wager on Bolton, but still!

But surely people are not going to that daft? 100 million in debt, pretty much all their 1st team leaving. Coyle is going to have to work wonders to get them challenging for play off let alone promotion.

I wouldn't mind a small flutter on them going down, they are in a whole world of shite!

It's utterly pointless speculating now anyway. One of the fancied clubs could get into financial difficulty. One of the unfamcied clubs could get investment. One squad could implode and confound expectations. One squad could pull together and confound expectations. I personally think we'll do better than those odds are suggesting, though looking further up the table it's difficult to see who listed above us will really struggle. Millwall and Watford perhaps? Forest look over rated on last seasons showing... We'll have to see who signs who and who retains who in the next 2 months

Of the three coming up from league one I expect Charlton to be up near the top and finish in or around the top six but Sheffield Weds & Huddersfield will be mid table.

Of the three coming down from the Premier League I think Blackburn are the hardest to predict. They could pull together and do really well and finish in the top two or they could self-destruct and end up in the bottom three! The first few games will be vital for them. A few decent results and the fans might actually get behind them and that will be key to their success. A few bad results and the fans will just continue to turn on the club and it will plummet.

I expect Wolves to be amongst the top six and Bolton I think will do better than some expect and fully expect them to be in at least the top half of the table although play-offs could just be out of reach for them.

Of the current set of Championship teams I think Leicester will again be favourites but will find it harder than they expect. I think they will just about scrape over the line this season but it wont be the walk over some people in the media seem to think it will be for them.

Birmingham are my favourites. They have a great squad and if they carry on the form from the second half of last season into the next season then they will finish top. It will just be interesting to see how they handle the play off hangover.

I think next season will be a season too far for Blackpool. Mid table awaits. Leeds will again be flirting with top six and might just scrape in there come the end of the season. My surprise package for next season is Crystal Palace. If they can utilise some of their fantastic youth talents and mix it with with some astute loan signings then they could, just could, sneak in the play offs. Holding onto Zaha will be vital.

Forest will be pushing for top six but will probably just miss out, same for Burnley. Cardiff once again will somehow manage to make the play offs again and I expect them to be joined by Middlesbrough.

So my top half....

Birmingham

Leicester

---------------------

Wolves

Middlesbrough

Cardiff

Crystal Palace

---------------------

Charlton

Blackburn

Leeds

Bolton

Burnley

Forest

To be honest I dont expect the table to look anything like that come the end of the season other than perhaps the top 4. I think most of those teams will be pushing for play-offs at least but as we all know the Championship throws up all sorts of twists, turns and surprises!

and as for City....

.... my heart says play offs, my head says mid-table - as it stands. The next month or two will be interesting to see what players Derek can bring in. Whatever he does I expect next season to be much more comfortable than the last one and anywhere mid table or above is a great improvement in my eyes.

Of the three coming up from league one I expect Charlton to be up near the top and finish in or around the top six but Sheffield Weds & Huddersfield will be mid table.

Of the three coming down from the Premier League I think Blackburn are the hardest to predict. They could pull together and do really well and finish in the top two or they could self-destruct and end up in the bottom three! The first few games will be vital for them. A few decent results and the fans might actually get behind them and that will be key to their success. A few bad results and the fans will just continue to turn on the club and it will plummet.

I expect Wolves to be amongst the top six and Bolton I think will do better than some expect and fully expect them to be in at least the top half of the table although play-offs could just be out of reach for them.

Of the current set of Championship teams I think Leicester will again be favourites but will find it harder than they expect. I think they will just about scrape over the line this season but it wont be the walk over some people in the media seem to think it will be for them.

Birmingham are my favourites. They have a great squad and if they carry on the form from the second half of last season into the next season then they will finish top. It will just be interesting to see how they handle the play off hangover.

I think next season will be a season too far for Blackpool. Mid table awaits. Leeds will again be flirting with top six and might just scrape in there come the end of the season. My surprise package for next season is Crystal Palace. If they can utilise some of their fantastic youth talents and mix it with with some astute loan signings then they could, just could, sneak in the play offs. Holding onto Zaha will be vital.

Forest will be pushing for top six but will probably just miss out, same for Burnley. Cardiff once again will somehow manage to make the play offs again and I expect them to be joined by Middlesbrough.

So my top half....

Birmingham

Leicester

---------------------

Wolves

Middlesbrough

Cardiff

Crystal Palace

---------------------

Charlton

Blackburn

Leeds

Bolton

Burnley

Forest

To be honest I dont expect the table to look anything like that come the end of the season other than perhaps the top 4. I think most of those teams will be pushing for play-offs at least but as we all know the Championship throws up all sorts of twists, turns and surprises!

and as for City....

.... my heart says play offs, my head says mid-table - as it stands. The next month or two will be interesting to see what players Derek can bring in. Whatever he does I expect next season to be much more comfortable than the last one and anywhere mid table or above is a great improvement in my eyes.

From what I hear, Birmingham are in it big time, up to their necks in it with debt, that squad could well be part of a fire sale soon.

I cannot confirm the reliability of this, but it is what I have been told by a couple of Birmingham fans at work!

Agree. Huge price.

That's to win the league outright. The bookies will have a statistical model to calculate their prices for outrights (unless they use the lazy method and copy betfair), it will almost certainly represent bad value. They all will.

Archived