IGNORED

Progress? Not In This City

myol'man

So if you want improvement in transport, stadiums, leisure facilities etc. something has to be built on, except in Bristol, where any mention of development is greeted by a wall of protest. If the Nimby's and tree huggers had their way throughout history nothing would ever have been built in this city, we would all be trundling around on horse and carts, keeping chickens, and dancing around a maypole :disapointed2se:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-18261526

60% remain unchanged and the other 40% get moved to new plots at no cost. Move on

So if you want improvement in transport, stadiums, leisure facilities etc. something has to be built on, except in Bristol, where any mention of development is greeted by a wall of protest. If the Nimby's and tree huggers had their way throughout history nothing would ever have been built in this city, we would all be trundling around on horse and carts, keeping chickens, and dancing around a maypole :disapointed2se:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-18261526

60% remain unchanged and the other 40% get moved to new plots at no cost. Move on

I can understand the objection here, you just can't move it to another piece of land, they have spent years getting the soil right to grow things properly.

I've got to say I'm not in favour of the planned guided bus route stuff.

I was exactly the same at one stage but the more I look into it the more I like the idea. Its a lot cheaper than light rail and I think the fact that they are doing it sep by step (i.e. Ashton Vale to Temple Meads first) is the way forward. As long as its separated from the traffic as much as possible I think it would work, the only other thing I think that should be considered is electrifying the buses.

One thing I don't get though is there is 3 options set aside for the bit that crosses the infamous Ashton Vale "village green"

1) Planned route around proposed stadium before stadium is constructed

2) Planned route around proposed stadium after stadium is constructed

3) Planned route accross site with no stadium.

This 3rd option (ironically) splits the site in two and goes straight through the middle of the "village green" but oddly I haven't seen or heard one objection from the "local" residents. Has anyone else?

This topic could have a 17,000 word answer from me which is a big reason on why we moved on an inheritance to the Welsh Marches. Bristol is a fantastic city with some fantastic people but it has a council with a short foresight a minority of people who have their own pocketlining interests at heart and a dreadful leisure and traffic facilities. I miss the place like hell and always take a deep breath at home games but as a city it is being left behind. The people should start protest voting sooner rather than later before it becomes a total mess. Sorry good people. :facepalm::redcard:

This topic could have a 17,000 word answer from me which is a big reason on why we moved on an inheritance to the Welsh Marches. Bristol is a fantastic city with some fantastic people but it has a council with a short foresight a minority of people who have their own pocketlining interests at heart and a dreadful leisure and traffic facilities. I miss the place like hell and always take a deep breath at home games but as a city it is being left behind. The people should start protest voting sooner rather than later before it becomes a total mess. Sorry good people. :facepalm::redcard:

I agree with every word of that. I love Bristol, but its backwardness drives me mad. Still, we've got the Nevil Road improvements through. Hopefully, we (and the Gas) will get ours and we can put away the nuclear bamboo projectiles.

I agree with every word of that. I love Bristol, but its backwardness drives me mad. Still, we've got the Nevil Road improvements through. Hopefully, we (and the Gas) will get ours and we can put away the nuclear bamboo projectiles.

I've all ready sold some of them to this lovely Korean chap. Hope it's sorted soon, his Iranian mate wants the rest.

Archived