IGNORED

Christian Ribeiro

Tony Montana

Interesting to see Alan Knill saying Ribs got some good offers on the table with quite high figures, but he's still taking a massive pay cut.

This just shows that we are overpaying players that aren't essential to us, he must have signed a new, higher paid contract just as Millen was finishing his caretaker stage as manager, as that was the time when he looked like a great player!

I seem to recall Ribeiro signed his only Contract with us just a day or two before his debut injurry.

Plus there were several good offers for him at the start of last season which strangely we turned down

Reading the S****horpe fans comments on the possible transfer it appears they are sceptical of Knills reasoning and failure to attract players and may be using money as a convenient excuse.

Ribeiros salary in the main was not paid by BC last year anyway so its pretty academic really.

he first needs to sort his head out he gets tackled gets a little knock and he thinks hes got a bad injury imo

Absolutely, it seems when he's coming to the end of his contract he can somehow sort his head out, mid contract he couldn't. Good player but his problems have always been inside his head, it's stopped him playing many times for us and it finds him scratching around at a division or two below his real level.

Shame he's gone but, in the main, he needs to have a look in the mirror to find the reason.

Bit presumptive to say that the problem was purely psychological. He had a bad cruciate ligament injury that used to end careers. With those type of injuries other muscle groups need to be built up and can have knock on injury effects. Whose to say that it's only now that he has got his body completely right after that injury? Most of the players we have let go have been sensible decisions but I suspect that this is one we might regret.

Absolutely, it seems when he's coming to the end of his contract he can somehow sort his head out, mid contract he couldn't. Good player but his problems have always been inside his head, it's stopped him playing many times for us and it finds him scratching around at a division or two below his real level.

Shame he's gone but, in the main, he needs to have a look in the mirror to find the reason.

Millen did Ribeiro a big dis-service when he announced to the press that he thought his problems were Physcological...I would imagine that Ribeiros cruciate was rebuilt by his surgeon from his hamstring as is the normal case these days..this normally leads to a succession of related injuries of the hamstring, groin and lower back...before the muscles are built up significantly over 18 months or so to compensate for the original injury. Ribeiro was one of the few in the club in my experience who actually had his head on right last season. It didnt stop him playing at all where he was fit and willing throughout. If hes playing in Div 1 next season he should shine as he did for both Carlisle and S****horpe and could show his new club quite a decent return come next June.

I could be wrong, but I can't help feeling we have messed up with Ribs. Yes he had injuries, but there were many times that he was fit and we still didn't play him. Last season we tried half a dozen or more players at right back, yet I am sure Ribs would have done better than most. I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

I also suspect the Club have got it wrong with Ribs. I also think he would have been worth trying on the right wing or even in the centre of midfield in pre-season matches. He has time on the ball, can tackle although not his strongest attribute, rarely wastes possession, can hit a telling pass or cross and was one of the few players who can beat his man with skill as well as pace. Okay I maybe making him sounding too much like Messi but he definitely had that bit of quality for the Championship that I like to see in a professional footballer. I also liked his attitude and when he was in the team he would be geeing up the players like Sno and the rest and he was a good team player. Fair enough to let him go if he failed after giving him an opportunity under new management but the only opportunity he was given was at the tail end of the season under Millen where he excelled with several MOTM performances.

He would certainly have been a useful squad player at least, when considering our squad has thinned so much. For whatever reason Del never used him at all, despite giving many other parts of the squad plenty of chances. The same can be said for Millen who clearly lost faith in him after his injuries last season and the only time I recall him featuring this season was just after Keith left and Wigley put him on the bench during his caretaker spell.

I'd guess that non footballing reasons may have been the cause, considering both Millen and Del ignored him, although truthfully Ribeiro always seemed a likeable guy whenever he was on BCFC Player. Definitely a strange case...

Millen did Ribeiro a big dis-service when he announced to the press that he thought his problems were Physcological...I would imagine that Ribeiros cruciate was rebuilt by his surgeon from his hamstring as is the normal case these days..this normally leads to a succession of related injuries of the hamstring, groin and lower back...before the muscles are built up significantly over 18 months or so to compensate for the original injury. Ribeiro was one of the few in the club in my experience who actually had his head on right last season. It didnt stop him playing at all where he was fit and willing throughout. If hes playing in Div 1 next season he should shine as he did for both Carlisle and S****horpe and could show his new club quite a decent return come next June.

Millen was right in what he said but wrong to make it public.

Ribs was always causing team mates concern in training, going down injured, saying he was injured. A groundsman mate of mine was always saying the physio and doc were being called for ribs, at his request on the training field.

Hopefully he can sort his head out and make himself a career.

A player that needed to be shifted on, shame we didn't get a fee for him, but had become a liability on the field, had his injury issues at both his loan clubs which didn't help his cause of a new contract here.

Needs a fresh start and to finally get a full season of football behind him pushing 23 and yet to manage it in his career so far

I also suspect the Club have got it wrong with Ribs. I also think he would have been worth trying on the right wing or even in the centre of midfield in pre-season matches. He has time on the ball, can tackle although not his strongest attribute, rarely wastes possession, can hit a telling pass or cross and was one of the few players who can beat his man with skill as well as pace. Okay I maybe making him sounding too much like Messi but he definitely had that bit of quality for the Championship that I like to see in a professional footballer. I also liked his attitude and when he was in the team he would be geeing up the players like Sno and the rest and he was a good team player. Fair enough to let him go if he failed after giving him an opportunity under new management but the only opportunity he was given was at the tail end of the season under Millen where he excelled with several MOTM performances.

Absolutely -- still beleive he could be a great midfielder -- always though it would be his best position and injury free could do really well there -- not a defensive player at all in my opinio

Millen was right in what he said but wrong to make it public.

Ribs was always causing team mates concern in training, going down injured, saying he was injured. A groundsman mate of mine was always saying the physio and doc were being called for ribs, at his request on the training field.

Hopefully he can sort his head out and make himself a career.

Perhaps you could ask your Groundsman friend if he ever saw Ribeiro train with the first team squad last season, ? if he new of anyone from the club that actually watched Ribeiro during his loan spells at Carlisle and S****horpe, ? if the clubs doctors and Physio were pre-occupied with Maynard during Ribeiros recuperation period? and if its true that Ribeiro paid for a lot of his own treatment whilst at City?

Also ive never seen the groundsmen watching a training session they are always in their hut drinking tea.

:laughcont:

Not that it matters as its all completely academic now Ribeiro has left City and whether he was good enough or whether he wasnt isnt important and obviously subjective.

When Ribeiro did train with the First team squad he was one of if not the fittest and most enthusiastic trainers

Perhaps you could ask your Groundsman friend if he ever saw Ribeiro train with the first team squad last season, ? if he new of anyone from the club that actually watched Ribeiro during his loan spells at Carlisle and S****horpe, ? if the clubs doctors and Physio were pre-occupied with Maynard during Ribeiros recuperation period? and if its true that Ribeiro paid for a lot of his own treatment whilst at City?

Also ive never seen the groundsmen watching a training session they are always in their hut drinking tea.

:laughcont:

Not that it matters as its all completely academic now Ribeiro has left City and whether he was good enough or whether he wasnt isnt important and obviously subjective.

When Ribeiro did train with the First team squad he was one of if not the fittest and most enthusiastic trainers

This was from the previous season and bit parts of this season.

There was no doubt from what I heard, he trained well, but the 7 aside games, any touch he was down and wanted seeing to! Normal knocks others got up and ran off ribs stayed down and would only carry on when the physio okayed it. I don't profess to know the bloke, but it would on the face of it, seem to me, that he needs the confidence from the doc or physio! Now you can't blame him, he had a bad injury, and has picked up many niggles in his short career.

All witnessed from the garden/tea shed and the mobile tea seat that goes around the practice grounds.

All ancient history now :)

Good luck to the guy, for the most part he looked good for us.

As I alluded to probably 6or 7 months ago, he was never going to sign for us (under millens stewardship) and was looking for a div 1 club when his contract was up. It will be interesting to see where he goes to.

It wouldn't at all surprise me if he ends up playing at a higher level than city.

Since turning professional in December 2006, Ribeiro has managed 41 (+2sub) appearances. That works out at around 7/8 a season. He's 22 years old.

The question i ask myself is this: Would i be pleased if we were signing a playing with this record, ("potential" or otherwise)?

No. I'd not be filled with excitement. Maybe in years to come we'll regret letting him go but how long do you hold on to a player in the hope he'll come good?

Archived