IGNORED

How Communicative Is Keith Dawe?

bcfcnick

We've been used to Steve Lansdown setting out his vision and Colin Sexton has always been media friendly and reasonably prominent. Perhaps KD has been waiting for CS to step down before saying anything but I haven't seen any comments in the press from him about taking on the Chairman role, neither has he a history of making any comment. I think in this media age the fans will expect the Chairman to speak to them via the press and the Club website so if he is going to stay somewhat reclusive then it seems an odd appointment. Perhaps Jon Lansdown will become the media figure instead? I just find it odd that the press haven't managed to eek out a comment from someone who is taking on such a significant public role that usually involves an element of communication.

We've been used to Steve Lansdown setting out his vision and Colin Sexton has always been media friendly and reasonably prominent. Perhaps KD has been waiting for CS to step down before saying anything but I haven't seen any comments in the press from him about taking on the Chairman role, neither has he a history of making any comment. I think in this media age the fans will expect the Chairman to speak to them via the press and the Club website so if he is going to stay somewhat reclusive then it seems an odd appointment. Perhaps Jon Lansdown will become the media figure instead? I just find it odd that the press haven't managed to eek out a comment from someone who is taking on such a significant public role that usually involves an element of communication.

He started his new job yesterday. Nothing on the OS. Nothing in the media. Plenty from Sexton, who has nothing to do with us anymore! What exactly are the media team and chairman doing?

They seem to make a little effort to change when getting hammered. But they soon drop back into their slack ways.

A new chairman is huge news, when he started there should have been some sort of fanfare, and at the very least a statement of his vision for our future.

As usual.... Nothing, resounding silence. Another publicity og.

I agree. We've had a farewell message from CS, and would have expected an introductory sort of "hello" from the new man at the top. Having said that, this is a pretty flat part of the year as far as any news goes, and maybe he is just biding his time and waiting for something newsworthy to say before putting his head above the parapets.

He started his new job yesterday. Nothing on the OS. Nothing in the media. Plenty from Sexton, who has nothing to do with us anymore! What exactly are the media team and chairman doing?

They seem to make a little effort to change when getting hammered. But they soon drop back into their slack ways.

A new chairman is huge news, when he started there should have been some sort of fanfare, and at the very least a statement of his vision for our future.

I don't agree that this is a publicity og, yet. This is a busy weekend being overshadowed by all of the jubilee issues. I would hope that sometime next week when all of this weekend's festivities are out of the way, that we would have some sort of announcement. He's only been in the job one day. Let's not start slagging the guy/club off yet.

I don't agree that this is a publicity og, yet. This is a busy weekend being overshadowed by all of the jubilee issues. I would hope that sometime next week when all of this weekend's festivities are out of the way, that we would have some sort of announcement. He's only been in the job one day. Let's not start slagging the guy/club off yet.

Disagree, he started on Friday, at a time with some sort of feel good factor for the bank holiday. Perfect time just to introduce himself and give his vision for the future.

Has KD ever given an interview, I certaunly can't remember one.

I think KD has just taken over the role of chairman, just to keep an eye on his & SLs investment, think we will hear more from Guy Price than anyone.

BCAGFC

OTIB members in over reaction shocker!

I heard he was in USA toward the end of the month and add to that the bank holidays, I would like to think we may get some news on Wednesday. Having said that I have never heard Keith speak........ Ever. For that reason I wonder how enthusiastic he was about taking the position, which lets face it is only a chairmanship position by name alone

I think this topic throws up some interesting issues that might not seem important now but will do in the coming weeks.

I noticed Colin in one of his recent interviews said of the new chief (Dawe) something along the lines of 'I think he will be a back seat chairman'.

This seemed to tally with the fact that Dawe has apparently never been quoted in the media in his 16 years with the club, that is until the announcement of CS's departure.

While the media-savvy Steve Lansdown was chairman Dawe didn't need to say anything.

Now Dawe is chairman I get the impression it will be Guy Price speaking on some issues, like the stadium and ticketing, and Jon Lansdown on football matters, although Del will bear the brunt of that obviously.

This might work fine if results are going okay. But I think people will want some clarity soon on who is in charge of what and who we can expect to hear from. SL was good at meeting the fans, for example, and held a few sessions for the exiles at away matches. Will that continue?

Who from the club went to the Football League's summer conference? The official site offers no clues on that.

Like I say, probably not many people care that much right now but if, say, we haven't made any signings by mid-July fans will be wanting answers . . .

I don't see it as a problem if he doesn't speak, as long as the correct messages are coming from the boardroom via a spokesman.

The club does seem to have a few issues in communication to its fans at the best of times, so less is very much more for me.

OTIB members in over reaction shocker!

I heard he was in USA toward the end of the month and add to that the bank holidays, I would like to think we may get some news on Wednesday. Having said that I have never heard Keith speak........ Ever. For that reason I wonder how enthusiastic he was about taking the position, which lets face it is only a chairmanship position by name alone

Really? The day we get a new chairman, bristol city's biggest bit of news is.....

Jayne Maggs ticketing blog from Poland.

Says it all to me!

Not even a welcome to the new job message! Quite laughable.

Totally agree!! No empty promises about being challengers and rhetoric about competing for the best players............

Agree 100% Andy. No need for a big fanfare to welcome him in , he's been here for years and has always kept his head down. SL obviously trusts him to steer the ship and when anything needs saying from board level , Guy Price is probably going to be the mouth piece.

In most businesses the Chief Exec is the guy who runs the place anyway. That's the most important role in terms of running the club. The Chairman is the guy overseeing strategy, coming in on the big decisions etc. Most of the time, for big businesses the CEO is the public face of the business and the Chairman would stay in the background in a "non-executive" role. It's increasingly rare (and not necessarily considered great corporate governance in any event) to have an executive Chairman.

I have no problem with Guy Price being the main guy we hear from re the club. I don't think it really matters who we hear from, or how frequently it happens... I'd rather see actions than hear about plans. I think our obsession with the club communicating to us - like one of their priorities should be to tell us fans exactly what is happening all the time - is a bit weird.

In most businesses the Chief Exec is the guy who runs the place anyway. That's the most important role in terms of running the club. The Chairman is the guy overseeing strategy, coming in on the big decisions etc. Most of the time, for big businesses the CEO is the public face of the business and the Chairman would stay in the background in a "non-executive" role. It's increasingly rare (and not necessarily considered great corporate governance in any event) to have an executive Chairman.

I have no problem with Guy Price being the main guy we hear from re the club. I don't think it really matters who we hear from, or how frequently it happens... I'd rather see actions than hear about plans. I think our obsession with the club communicating to us - like one of their priorities should be to tell us fans exactly what is happening all the time - is a bit weird.

Exactly, I'd rather they are negotiating transfers and contracts at the moment rather than rolling out cliches to us

I used to work for KD. He's not a great communicator. Nice enough guy and good at developing working relationships with key people but keeps in the background. He's quite shy and his businesses have all been built around big gobby sales guys who rightly always keep him away from clients.

Well, some of the top ten most reclusive characters have been very successful so good luck to him!

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1902376_1902378_1902428,00.html

It just strikes me that normally a Chairman is often the media figure head and if Guy Price becomes the spokesman it will be a case of him trying to put across KD's message who, in turn, has to reflect SL's views.

Disagree, he started on Friday, at a time with some sort of feel good factor for the bank holiday. Perfect time just to introduce himself and give his vision for the future.

Introduce himself ! he's been at the club years. What are you so worried about. I know it's quiet and we all like a bit of news but as we can see with the academy, there is a lot going on at the club behind the scenes so just let them do their jobs. I'm sure we find out what's going on in the fullness of time.

Introduce himself ! he's been at the club years. What are you so worried about. I know it's quiet and we all like a bit of news but as we can see with the academy, there is a lot going on at the club behind the scenes so just let them do their jobs. I'm sure we find out what's going on in the fullness of time.

Yes, been here years, and what do you/we know about him?

I just think its pretty bad that there is a big change at the very top of the club on the 1st of June, and the most important bit of news offered by the club is........ Jayne Maggs blog about selling tickets in Poland.

It would seem I am the only person who sees this as a bit strange! Not even a congratulations message to the guy!

Agree 100% Andy. No need for a big fanfare to welcome him in , he's been here for years and has always kept his head down. SL obviously trusts him to steer the ship and when anything needs saying from board level , Guy Price is probably going to be the mouth piece.

But when the rudder comes off, might be a case of sink or talk. Its good to talk. :D

Agreed.

Archived