IGNORED

When To Make Our Signings?

Uncle Albert

Putting the question out there: when do people think we WILL and SHOULD make our signings?

I understand that not much activity will happen until July 1st but what about after then?

My personal opinion is that we shouldn't hang about for too long. We know that Del has got quite a few targets in mind and quite a lot of positions to fill. This means that we are going to see a considerably different looking squad and the last thing we want is a squad that has been assembled in the last week of August and with no pre season 'bonding' at all.

I'm not saying we should rush into any signings, hey, it's most likely Del is already trying to bring in players, but when do you think, and want, it to happen?

It seems to me clubs are doing their business early and we could potentially miss out on great signings... Cardiff, Leeds, P'boro and Leicester have already made relatively good signings.

Preferably have them all done and dusted before the players report back. Clearly we won't have all in by then, as signings are drawn out. If the majority are here as pre season training starts, that will do, at least team bonding and knowledge of one an-others game can start before the pre season friendlies start.

As for others signing early, on paper they look good signings, if they turn out to be good signings... who can tell, just look at Matt Mills at Leicester last season!

He needs to get the majority of players in ready for first day of pre-season, get the team bonding, working on shape and ready for first game, not constantly having players coming in between now and end of August and then moaning in Septmeber that the team needs time to jel.

Thats what pre-season is for

He needs to get the majority of players in ready for first day of pre-season, get the team bonding, working on shape and ready for first game, not constantly having players coming in between now and end of August and then moaning in Septmeber that the team needs time to jel.

Thats what pre-season is for

Pre-season's main purpose is to get people fit.

Pre-season's main purpose is to get people fit.

Ooops, our players enjoy 4-0 thrashings then.

Pre-season should be about getting fit, sorting systems & getting into a WINNING habit..............something we have failed to do for the last 4 seasons.

BCAGFC

Pre-season should be about getting fit, sorting systems & getting into a WINNING habit..............something we have failed to do for the last 4 seasons.

BCAGFC

Bang on! The fitness side is covered mainly by pre season training, the games are there for systems, style of play, getting the team to gel with new signings ect ect. Theres problems with the team in these areas ( plus others) which

were all aware of and need to be sorted in pre season along with any new signings otherwise it could be another long hard sseason for us. For this reason alone id MUCH prefer if we got most of our business done asap, dont really fancy us spending the opening games of the season sorting these things out, would be nice to have a good start to season for a change, not like the last 3!

This^ Our transfer strategy is largely flawed, wait too late say we are after 'targets' make a few cursory bids (Keogh for example) and then do everything at the last minute because we are down to our 95th choice or whatever. You would think that we would learn. However, apparently not, and the usual excuses of contracts expiring later on or whatever football championships happening seems to come along. Despite many clubs already conducting business on OOC players and so on. Do the club actually know that players can be talked to in their last 6 months of a contract (afaik) and not wait until the day it expires and then wonder why they go elsewhere?

Utter shambles as per ( I'm hoping I get disproved)

Spot on

You will get the usual, I want to get my transfers out the way early, Followed by a week or so later.. I don't see much movement in the market, no one is willing to let people go at the moment... Followed by I have targets in mind, but I don't see anything happening until Mid June at the earliest...... Followed by, We are finding it hard to get clubs to release their players, but we hope to have people in in the next couple of weeks.... Followed by, I hope to have one or two in by the start of the season..... Followed by, I don't expect to see much happen on deadline day...... 2 signing s at about 10pm on deadline day.

They give the same old spiel every year to get the season tickets sold, and each year people fall for it.

I expect us to get a couple of people in by mid to late July, then a couple more into the first few weeks of the season, maybe 1 decent signing and a couple of panic buys.. that is the way we have seemed to operate for the past few years.

I sincerely hope Del is different.

BCAGFC

Bang on! The fitness side is covered mainly by pre season training, the games are there for systems, style of play, getting the team to gel with new signings ect ect. Theres problems with the team currently which were all aware of and need to be sorted in pre season training, games and new signings. For this reason alone id MUCH prefer if we got most of our business done asap, dont really fancy us spending the opening games of the season sorting these things out, would be nice to have a good start to season for a change, not like the last 3!

This^ Our transfer strategy is largely flawed, wait too late say we are after 'targets' make a few cursory bids (Keogh for example) and then do everything at the last minute because we are down to our 95th choice or whatever. You would think that we would learn. However, apparently not, and the usual excuses of contracts expiring later on or whatever football championships happening seems to come along. Despite many clubs already conducting business on OOC players and so on. Do the club actually know that players can be talked to in their last 6 months of a contract (afaik) and not wait until the day it expires and then wonder why they go elsewhere?

Utter shambles as per ( I'm hoping I get disproved)

In the past I would have agreed. The last time we did good deals in terms of free agents was the year GJ snapped up Weale and one or two more pretty rapidly.

However with clubs having one eye on FFP, I suspect a lot of deals will be done later on, even for good players. For the next few years (or at least until player mentality changes) I think late deals will be a new trend.

BCAGFC

Agree with this... whilst pre season is about getting players back to fitness we also want to win games! Our pre season preparations over the last few seasons have been nothing short of shambolic. Losing to Yeovil, Bath City and Torquay United sums it all up.

Whilst we may not be playing the "cream of the crop" in Scotland, it is a vast improvement on the three above (no offence Mr Murrary!) Am very excited to see how our pre season actually pans out... Bring on 2012/2013!

Archived