Southport Red

Wimbledon go from South London to Northants

Cardiff go from Blue to Red

Arsenal go from Highbury to the Emirates

Man City go to the Ethiad from Maine Road

Bolton to the Reebok

Sunderland to the SOL

City go to Ashon Vale

I knw this ( in the modern world) is the cold, hard, reality.

My question is,

Is this progress?

We were all excited at the idea of Ashton Vale but someone puts up a speculative picture of what a redeveloped Ashton Gate might look like and many of us (me included) go misty-eyed.

Think about Portsmouth, think about Blackburn, think about Newton Heath, think about Cardiff.

Do we REALLY want to leave Ashton Gate? Do we REALLY want to 'develop' (if 'developing' meant playing in blue and white quarters and being known as 'The Titans' (or something equally inane) .

I want to see City succeed. I want to see us competing with Man Ure, Arse, Chelski, Bayern, Barca etc etc, but I don't want it at any cost.

Anyone who is a zillionaire who has access to a demographics map of the UK might conclude that making Sir Steve an offer he can't refuse is a good idea. It might be a Jack Walker figure ( though I suspect our Jack Walker IS Steve Lansdowne), it might be a benevolent Arab sheikh, or it might be a mobster who decides we should be called the Pirates and play in Blue and White quarters.

Do we want change? Do we want to be a brand? Much as I would love City to get to the Premier League, I look at Portsmouth, Blackburn and Cardiff and think "maybe 'success' isn't all that after all".

What do you think?

Does it really matter at the end of the day ?

We had the coat of arms of Bristol on our kit in 1901, it then re-appeared in 1951 and was used until a "rebranding" took place in 1976, where we adopted the Robin's - Robin badge. We the used the Robins badge for 18 years before reverting to our traditional coat of arms.

When there was a poll on this forum, most voted to go back to the rebranded Robins badge. which goes to prove that it is what you see and are raised with that matters.

If we became the Wessex Wyverns to attract a historic region to our club and played in yellow/red, relocated to Ashton Vale would it matter ? For those that are new fans, or started supporting that year it would seem ok, they will have no attachment to the previous "history" - they will make their own under the Wyvern banner. When in 20 years time people suggest they change to a red and white kit and become the Robins they will be equally appalled as others now are.

You need money, clubs have no real assets other than their branding, and possible stadia (even players can see out contracts and leave on a free making them liabilities). They often lose millions a year, and keep their heads above water with difficulty. When someone comes along and offers to put for example £100 million into such a club it makes me laugh how football fans think that it is wrong to take the money. The club is still there, it will be hopefully better, and more successful - but most importantly it still exists for people to support and enjoy.

We have to bring in more cash to the club & the only way of doing that is through non-matchday facilities (conference centre/hotel etc, etc).

That can only be done properley at AV......the AG site is too small & it probably wouldn't be financially viable to redevelop that as a permanent site.

BCAGFC

Does it really matter at the end of the day ?

You need money, clubs have no real assets other than their branding, and possible stadia (even players can see out contracts and leave on a free making them liabilities). They often lose millions a year, and keep their heads above water with difficulty. When someone comes along and offers to put for example £100 million into such a club it makes me laugh how football fans think that it is wrong to take the money. The club is still there, it will be hopefully better, and more successful - but most importantly it still exists for people to support and enjoy.

Why don't we change to McDonalds FC and play in a clown kit.

I'm sure they would give us 100 million.

To some of us Football is about more than money.

Some of my best times with City were in the 4th division, I would rather be there than selling the soul of our club for ££££

As long as the views of the clubs fans become priority (taking into account whatever state the club is in) and the leagues are being operated fairly with regards to finances, then i will be happy. Hopefully stories like Man City and Chelsea won't continue to happen, you shouldnt have to buy a trophy. Honours can be won by combining talent with team spirit without paying ridiculous amounts of money for the squad.

Also, it's no secret that wages are too high and ticket prices are reflecting that. Bring back the days of cheap tickets and high attendances, and with that give us safe standing - surely this could be achievable in the next 10 years?!

I don't believe that moving stadium is progress unless you have the potential to fill that stadium on a regular basis. Yes sponsorship brings money which is good for the club but as long as that money doesn't translate directly into players wages. The sponsorship should help reduce ticket prices and build the spirit of the club and therefore its attendances and fanbase. I believe that this is the kind of progress that all clubs should be aiming for.

Although it would not be so popular, I admire the way that the NFL is run with regards to their being no 'Manchester United' type franchises. The drafting of the latest NFL starlets starts with the lowest ranked teams from the previous season getting the first picks in the draft. This results in every season being totally different and is summed up by the phrase 'any given Sunday'. Now i fully understand that the draft system would never work in England due to the Promotion/Relegation system that we have, but surely lessons could be learnt with regards to who gets the best talent? Please don't ask me for suggestions of alternative ways, i just feel that its slightly unfair that the top teams in the prem will always attract the best youngsters so the other teams have no chance of getting the best new talent and will struggle to push for European qualification.

So, before i carry on with my rant and make an arse out of myself, i will conclude by saying that true progression will only be achieved if football as a whole is completly reviewed and changes need to be made (in addition to Financial Fair Play) to ensure that this amazing sport does not continue to spiral out of control

For me it's simple.

NO

Move to different part of the country.

Move North of the river.

Change the name from Bristol City.

Change from Red to a different colour.

Have an owner who we have no way of checking his antecedents and where his money came from.

Everything else is up for grabs for me, name of the stadium (we can call it what we want, like Newcastle), name of stands, sponsors, kit manufacture, nickname, badge (reluctantly).

I take on board what Portland Bill said about the old 4th division and I see where that sort of comes from, the fact that at that time we were just happy to still be playing football as BCFC, but times move on and facilities need to be updated and money forthcoming to allow us to play the highest level possible and to be honest I do not want to be the gas mk2 shaking buckets at home matches for every financial mishap at the club, wading through piss because of bad facilities, getting wet when the tent leaks, living off of a meaningless win against your nearest rival 5 years earlier and now trying to turn a friendly/testimonial into the champions league final, knowing your best signings are your biggest rivals cast offs (reminded of our 4th division days again), But having nice pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I could go on.

For me it's simple.

NO

Move to different part of the country.

Move North of the river.

Change the name from Bristol City.

Change from Red to a different colour.

Have an owner who we have no way of checking his antecedents and where his money came from.

Everything else is up for grabs for me, name of the stadium (we can call it what we want, like Newcastle), name of stands, sponsors, kit manufacture, nickname, badge (reluctantly).

I take on board what Portland Bill said about the old 4th division and I see where that sort of comes from, the fact that at that time we were just happy to still be playing football as BCFC, but times move on and facilities need to be updated and money forthcoming to allow us to play the highest level possible and to be honest I do not want to be the gas mk2 shaking buckets at home matches for every financial mishap at the club, wading through piss because of bad facilities, getting wet when the tent leaks, living off of a meaningless win against your nearest rival 5 years earlier and now trying to turn a friendly/testimonial into the champions league final, knowing your best signings are your biggest rivals cast offs (reminded of our 4th division days again), I could go on.

I hope our stadium has a proper name, then if it's changed due to sponsors I wont mind because fans will still call it's original name just like the geordies do with St James' Park.

I hope our stadium has a proper name, then if it's changed due to sponsors I wont mind because fans will still call it's original name just like the geordies do with St James' Park.

It will be complete different to St James' Park.

If we move to Ashton Vale, the Stadium will not have a name until it is chosen, either through a fans vote, or a Sponsorship deal.

It will never been known as Ashton gate, as it will no longer be in Ashton Gate. So it matters not what it is called, it will never be Ashton Gate.

That part of our history will be gone forever, if we get a new stadium.

It will be complete different to St James' Park.

If we move to Ashton Vale, the Stadium will not have a name until it is chosen, either through a fans vote, or a Sponsorship deal.

It will never been known as Ashton gate, as it will no longer be in Ashton Gate. So it matters not what it is called, it will never be Ashton Gate.

That part of our history will be gone forever, if we get a new stadium.

That's what I mean, I want the stadium to have a new name first that isn't sponsorship influenced, then if one day we change it to a sponsor name we would still call it by the original name.

Instead of it opening with a sponsor name where we wouldn't be able to call it anything else.

That's what I mean, I want the stadium to have a new name first that isn't sponsorship influenced, then if one day we change it to a sponsor name we would still call it by the original name.

I think, and this maybe a bit unfair on Steve, that the marketing and money side of things will come to the forefront in any stadium naming decision. I believe we will not be given a choice of name, The sponsorship rights will be sold, so every time the sponsorship renewal comes up, there will be no bickering concerning the actual name of the stadium the previous name will just be changed.

I know that is a touch cynical, but if i wanted to generate buckets of Cash for Bristol City, that is what I would do.

If it were to get a name, I woudn't be surprised if it was "The Bristol Arena" making sponsor naming rights easy to brand with it. And also an easy brand to sell as a Concert arena.

I think, and this maybe a bit unfair on Steve, that the marketing and money side of things will come to the forefront in any stadium naming decision. I believe we will not be given a choice of name, The sponsorship rights will be sold, so every time the sponsorship renewal comes up, there will be no bickering concerning the actual name of the stadium the previous name will just be changed.

I know that is a touch cynical, but if i wanted to generate buckets of Cash for Bristol City, that is what I would do.

If it were to get a name, I woudn't be surprised if it was "The Bristol Arena" making sponsor naming rights easy to brand with it. And also an easy brand to sell as a Concert arena.

Some sponsorship names really are awful though so hopefully if and when we have the new ground, it will have a name that's not cheap and tacky.

it matters not Jordan, we can vote on a name and that is what we will call it and it won't have the history a la St James Park, something akin to The New Gate or just Newgate would do for me.

Why don't we change to McDonalds FC and play in a clown kit.

I'm sure they would give us 100 million.

To some of us Football is about more than money.

Some of my best times with City were in the 4th division, I would rather be there than selling the soul of our club for ££££

Perfectly said, Of course i want City to be in the top flight but if that means selling our name, colour and history then id rather spend my Tuesday nights on rickety terrace in the depths of December in the pissing rain watching City in the conference

... in fact if we could be in the prem and do that, i would take it over being sat in the clouds watching a subbuteo match next to some ***** on their Ipad anyday.

Archived