IGNORED

Roy Hodgson And Bristol City

Devereux

ITV just did a piece on Roy's career and City was mentioned a few times. Knew he managed us for a short while but never really thought about it till now.

Does anyone remember him at City (before my time I'm afraid)?

Why did it go wrong?

What sort of players did he bring in?

ITV just did a piece on Roy's career and City was mentioned a few times. Knew he managed us for a short while but never really thought about it till now.

Does anyone remember him at City (before my time I'm afraid)?

Why did it go wrong?

What sort of players did he bring in?

He was here in 82 I think but got sacked due to the financial issues.

Hodgson had been Bob Houghton's assistant.

When Houghton resigned following a 3-1 home defeat by Wimbledon on Jan. 2nd 1982, Hodgson took over.

City were in financial turmoil and were only allowed to sign short term and loan players.

Hodgson signed Aidan McCaffrey from Rovers, Ray Gooding (Coventry) and Les Carter (Crystal Palace). McCaffrey and Gooding departed wnen the FL refused to allow monthly contracts to be renewed.

Meanwhile City sold whoever they could with Jan Moller following Houghton to Toronto Blizzard and Mick Harford joining Birmingham for 125k.

After the departure of the Ashton 8 the new company eventually assumed full control on April 30th and Hodgson departed. Youth team coach Gerry Sharpe was appointed as manager for the rest of the season.

** Although I supported City through all this and remember it pretty well, these details are taken from BCFC The first hundred years.

Archived