IGNORED

France

The Kaiser

I've spent this morning have a read of Le Monde and Figaro newspapers on Euro 2012.

What do people think of this? I think this is a bit harsh, even for newspapers.

(My loose translations aside :laugh:)

"We journey into the Quarter Finals, but carrying the small suitcase"

France reached the Quarter finals last night in unassuming and stuttering fashion.

Beaten and for the most part completely dominated by the Swedes, the France side find themselves qualifying in 2nd place of Group D (the English defeated Ukraine 1-0) and faced with a monumental task of playing European and World Champions Spain.

France last night showed little fight and at the end of the game, you would be mistaken for thinking we were out of the competition. All Laurent Blanc's players had their head in their hands, looked down to the ground, somebody told them from the sides of the English triumph and that it is Spain we now face.

Who would be surprised?

Sweden were the better team, Sweden - who had nothing to play for - played with panache, flair and most of all with heart.

Where was the French heart?

Sweden scored two goals against us. They scored two goals against the English.

The difference? This England team under the British trainer Hodgson does not accept defeat, they are organised, and they fight back. We know this, the English have always been fighters. They may not be the most skilled (everyone thinks our team is more skilled) but they always have fight.

Where was the French fight? Where was it? The English scored 3 against the Swedes and beat them.

We surrendered. We showed no passion. We showed no courage. It was pathetic and now Laurent Blanc is faced with a more huge task than he has faced before.

Nobody wanted the ball after the Sweden second goal. The last 10 mins, you would expect a France rally. No. Nothing. Play out the game finish 0-2 and we go through quietly like a mouse.

Before Euro '12 we mocked the English for their lack of talent we said, that they would just defend and try to score from corners.

We heard the French management say England can take some lessons from us on how to play football.

Tonight, it is maybe us that should look to the English - who qualify top with 2 wins and 1 draw - for some lessons.

Laurent Blanc last less than 1 week to ensure we are ready for Spain.

Does he think we can win? Because tonight, nobody in Europe thinks we can.

Le Monde.fr | 20.06.2012 à 10h04

• Mis à jour le 20.06.2012 à 10h04

post-21543-0-84949500-1340195083_thumb.j

Wow, we thought the British journos were harsh!

They did at least qualify for knock out rounds.

I'm really surprised at the way the writer has denounced his own side and heaped praise on the English, that must really hurt!

Thanks for this, interesting read.

From what I judge speaking to the French (I am there a few times per month) - there is still a fair bit of animosity to "L'equipe Francaise" as the football team are known.

Most still associate them with the World Cup, where every French person I know was embarrassed.

I mean they had the President state that the team "had brought shame to France in front of the whole world".

Blanc has gone a fair way to bringing them back - but when things don't go their way the French (and the journalists are the worst) are keen to portray them as giving up, primadonnas, not interested in trying etc.

He is right though, I don't think anyone think's they can beat Spain if they play like that again.

Said it before and say it again, Sweden were much better than the idiot pundits - who reckoned they were one of the worst teams in the tournament - at half-time when we played them suggested. Had Wellbeck not got that goal and had the Ukraine goal been allowed, we'd have been out.

Said it before and say it again, Sweden were much better than the idiot pundits - who reckoned they were one of the worst teams in the tournament - at half-time when we played them suggested. Had Wellbeck not got that goal and had the Ukraine goal been allowed, we'd have been out.

What a ridiculous statement!

Had france not equalised against us, we would have won all our games and they would be out.

Had Croatia been awarded 1 of their 2 blatent penalties against Spain, then the world & euro champs would have been out.

Had Aguero hit the side setting in the last minute, then we would not have had all those lovely images of Fergie & the Manc scum in tears!

Had the Russian linesman not spotted that Hurst's 2nd goal was clearly over the line ;) then we might not have a star on our England shirts.

Had Brian Parkin not fluffed Louis Donowa's initial shot, then Rovers may have continued there dominance over us and could well be the best team in the South West, not us.

Had the Ref at Mansfield not played 4 minutes of injury time, then that game would not be as fondly remembered.

I could go an all day, but im sure any football fan would agree that you can't change the course of history in matches and in most cases, who would want too...?!

Had france not equalised against us, we would have won all our games and they would be out.

Had Croatia been awarded 1 of their 2 blatent penalties against Spain, then the world & euro champs would have been out.

Had Aguero hit the side setting in the last minute, then we would not have had all those lovely images of Fergie & the Manc scum in tears!

Had the Russian linesman not spotted that Hurst's 2nd goal was clearly over the line ;) then we might not have a star on our England shirts.

Had Brian Parkin not fluffed Louis Donowa's initial shot, then Rovers may have continued there dominance over us and could well be the best team in the South West, not us.

Had the Ref at Mansfield not played 4 minutes of injury time, then that game would not be as fondly remembered.

I could go an all day, but im sure any football fan would agree that you can't change the course of history in matches and in most cases, who would want too...?!

I'm not sure what you're getting at there and of course you can't. Did I say you could?

My point was that at half-time v Sweden we had a panel of supposed experts rabbiting on about how poor the Swedes were and then when the game started there was a period of total Scandinavian dominance and we quickly found ourselves behind. They provided a stern test which, I'm glad to say, we narrowly passed.

Is it not perfectly reasonable to point out the fine margins when supporting a view over the qualities of a team?

I'm not sure what you're getting at there and of course you can't. Did I say you could?

My point was that at half-time v Sweden we had a panel of supposed experts rabbiting on about how poor the Swedes were and then when the game started there was a period of total Scandinavian dominance and we quickly found ourselves behind. They provided a stern test which, I'm glad to say, we narrowly passed.

"Had Wellbeck not got that goal and had the Ukraine goal been allowed, we'd have been out."

That was the part of your post that I was reffering too. That is why I highlighted in in the earlier reply.

Is it not perfectly reasonable to point out the fine margins when supporting a view over the qualities of a team?

Of course, but probably a good idea to say that you are pointing out the fine margins whilst supporting a view over the qualities of a team..!

I read it as saying that if this & had hadn't happened, then we would be out. Probably beacause that is exactly what it did say.

In fairness, I probably took it as an anti England comment, which I have had a guts full of from the w**ker pundits and commentaters, so appologies if I tooK it the wrong way!

Of course, but probably a good idea to say that you are pointing out the fine margins whilst supporting a view over the qualities of a team..!

I read it as saying that if this & had hadn't happened, then we would be out. Probably beacause that is exactly what it did say.

In fairness, I probably took it as an anti England comment, which I have had a guts full of from the w**ker pundits and commentaters, so appologies if I tooK it the wrong way!

NP.

I hadn't intended it as such but merely, as Redhyde said, an indication of how narrow the margins had been.

TBF I don't think any England fan has contested that England look fabulous in this tournament, but in the games I've seen, no-one's looked that terrifying. Germany probably look the hardest to beat, but they've not exactly been free-scoring.

As an England fan, I think the tournament's wide-open.

NP.

I hadn't intended it as such but merely, as Redhyde said, an indication of how narrow the margins had been.

TBF I don't think any England fan has contested that England look fabulous in this tournament, but in the games I've seen, no-one's looked that terrifying. Germany probably look the hardest to beat, but they've not exactly been free-scoring.

As an England fan, I think the tournament's wide-open.

I agree that onebody who review our performances as "fabulous" or anything of the sort. I have, however, been very impressed with the hunger, fight and commitment that has been shown thus far. It is a far cry from the embarrasingly dismal efforts (lack of) in the last world cup.

We are playing "the English way" and I belive that the players are more comfortable with it, rather than trying to take on technically better players at their own game. You only have to look at how the French journo in the OP says almost the same thing.

With luck on our side, taking our chances when they come and continuing to show the same passion & grit that has so far been on display, this could just turn into a wonderful tournament for us. I would love it all to come together and see people, (most, not all) eat a huge slice of humble pie over Roy Hodgeson, who is a top manager and was slated in every direction when given the job, just because he wasn't some gobby, wide boy Cockney called 'Arry!!

I agree that onebody who review our performances as "fabulous" or anything of the sort. I have, however, been very impressed with the hunger, fight and commitment that has been shown thus far. It is a far cry from the embarrasingly dismal efforts (lack of) in the last world cup.

We are playing "the English way" and I belive that the players are more comfortable with it, rather than trying to take on technically better players at their own game. You only have to look at how the French journo in the OP says almost the same thing.

With luck on our side, taking our chances when they come and continuing to show the same passion & grit that has so far been on display, this could just turn into a wonderful tournament for us. I would love it all to come together and see people, (most, not all) eat a huge slice of humble pie over Roy Hodgeson, who is a top manager and was slated in every direction when given the job, just because he wasn't some gobby, wide boy Cockney called 'Arry!!

Totaly agree with your assessment of the England performances thus far in this tournament

and i will add that the defence has looked excellent, to a point where Ukraine were shooting from distance

rather than try to pass through them

Archived