IGNORED

Academy/youth Policy

real_bristol

Apologies for starting another academy thread but I've been meaning to post this for a while.

My cousin's young lad had an offer to join us, he asked if it was alright to play for his current local club (presumably where most of his mates are) if he didn't have a game with City. They said no.

He's now with Cheltenham who don't mind.

It just made me wonder how many promising youngsters we might be putting off. Hope this changes with Del/Doc seemingly getting involved a bit further down the line.

Apologies for starting another academy thread but I've been meaning to post this for a while.

My cousin's young lad had an offer to join us, he asked if it was alright to play for his current local club (presumably where most of his mates are) if he didn't have a game with City. They said no.

It just made me wonder how many promising youngsters we might be putting off. Hope this changes with Del/Doc seemingly getting involved a bit further down the line.

Players signed onto academy's arent allowed to play in normal leagues

I see no problems with City not allowing him to play for another club.

They train 2/3 times a week and play on sundays, the poor kid would be knackered otherwise and different coaching may affect him negatively.

Its a lot higher risk of him getting injured, either due to fatigue or fouled the day before a game if playing for another team.

Where insufficient football games are provided in Categories A or B a player may be released to play in Category C football. He may only do so with the written permission of the Director of the Centre of Excellence with which he is registered.

Well my lad has just spent 4 years at a Coe and not one player was ever allowed to play for there local team. The players at Coe 's are contracted to that club.

They can't play for another club because they are registered with the pro club they are at.

If someone was not contracted then obviously they could play for who ever they wanted.

But my experience with it is that it has never happened and would not be allowed.

School football is allowed.

Well my lad has just spent 4 years at a Coe and not one player was ever allowed to play for there local team. The players at Coe 's are contracted to that club.

They can't play for another club because they are registered with the pro club they are at.

If someone was not contracted then obviously they could play for who ever they wanted.

But my experience with it is that it has never happened and would not be allowed.

But the difference seems to be, for an academy it's FA policy, for a CoE it's up to the club. So some CoE clubs do allow it.

But the difference seems to be, for an academy it's FA policy, for a CoE it's up to the club. So some CoE clubs do allow it.

Acadamys and COE's come under exactly the same FA policy.

But as we know, there are no COE's or Acadamys anymore,it's all EPPP levels now.

Edit, having just read last years booklet, there is a circumstances where a Coe manager could allow a player to play.

So apologies to Nibor and Crusader

I had heard of a player or players asking to do this but it had always been refused.

I didn't realise it was even a possibility.

I was wrong!

As far as I am aware under the new EPPP rules Cheltenham will be a category 3 club.

If this is the case they will not be able to contract boys under the age of 11.

How old is the lad in question?

City i understand are going for level 2, which allows them to contract boys of all ages.

This could be the reason he will be allowed to still play local Football,as Cheltenham will not have a games programme for lads under 11.

Academies and Centres of Excellences do come under the same policy however different allowences

EPPP doesn't come into affect until September 2012 where the wording could be the same for all categories

Bristol Rovers had players (very few) 5 - 6 years ago playing in local clubs where BRFC didnt provide enough games against the likes of Swindon, Exeter etc

By chance, does anyone know which category Bristol Rovers will have, surprisingly I heard only last week even the facilities of Filton College Wise Campus will not meet the Category 2 criteria

Bristol City will have Category Two status and once a facility requirement has been met Category One will be awarded in 2013

Academies and Centres of Excellences do come under the same policy however different allowences

EPPP doesn't come into affect until September 2012 where the wording could be the same for all categories

Bristol Rovers had players (very few) 5 - 6 years ago playing in local clubs where BRFC didnt provide enough games against the likes of Swindon, Exeter etc

By chance, does anyone know which category Bristol Rovers will have, surprisingly I heard only last week even the facilities of Filton College Wise Campus will not meet the Category 2 criteria

Bristol City will have Category Two status and once a facility requirement has been met Category One will be awarded in 2013

Pretty sure Rovers will be Cat 3.

I think all the West Country clubs( except as you say City) are going for cat 3 except Yeovil who are going to be cat 4.

Just being nosey Bill, but who's your son with? What's his experience of the situation been like? (feel free to decline an answer on privacy grounds!)

My boy sadly has grown up in the US of A and is in a sort of academy scenario for ice hockey. Which as far as I can see, is just an excuse for a punch up whilst wearing skates.

Just being nosey Bill, but who's your son with? What's his experience of the situation been like? (feel free to decline an answer on privacy grounds!)

My boy sadly has grown up in the US of A and is in a sort of academy scenario for ice hockey. Which as far as I can see, is just an excuse for a punch up whilst wearing skates.

My son has been with Yeovil Town for 4 years.

Unfortuneatly due to lack of money due to a major change in all pro clubs youth development,they have now scrapped all Youth development from 9 to 16.

The experience of being trained by good coaches from the age of 8 has been invaluable though, and hopefully will benefit him in the years to come.

You might know more but I thought Yeovil's programme has been disbanded

In a way it has, they have applied for category 4 which means that all the club can run is a Youth team for 16-18 year olds.

IMO they will regret this big time,but it's all about not having the money...... supposedly!

But I don't think it's a coincidence that GJ became the manager shortly before this decision was taken!.

bill with all the stuff going on with our academy would you want your son to come here or go somewhere else like southampton, just curious how old is he ?

John,he now 12, the problem we have is where we live, we live in Bridgwater.

We have just spent 4 years doing about 170 miles a week travelling to training and games with Yeovil.

Rovers contacted us ( as soon as they heard Yeovil were finishing) and he went up there for a training session, but its just too much travelling for 3 sessions a week and matches on a Sunday if he was to have got in with them.

It worked out 320 miles a week and thats just if the game is a home game!

Plus North Bristol is a pain for us to get to.

I would love him to get a trial at City, but have yet to find out how this is possible.

He is now going to go to an Exeter City development centre and play local football,its a case of seeing what happens from there..

John,he now 12, the problem we have is where we live, we live in Bridgwater.

We have just spent 4 years doing about 170 miles a week travelling to training and games with Yeovil.

Rovers contacted us ( as soon as they heard Yeovil were finishing) and he went up there for a training session, but its just too much travelling for 3 sessions a week and matches on a Sunday if he was to have got in with them.

It worked out 320 miles a week and thats just if the game is a home game!

Plus North Bristol is a pain for us to get to.

I would love him to get a trial at City, but have yet to find out how this is possible.

He is now going to go to an Exeter City development centre and play local football,its a case of seeing what happens from there..

i fill your pain with the traveling mate (not to mention the cost) exeter isnt a bad shout as its resonible close ,i asked you if would want him to go to city just because so many on here recently have sad the would take there kids elsewhere because of the state of things here, anyway good luck to him for the furture .

i fill your pain with the traveling mate (not to mention the cost) exeter isnt a bad shout as its resonible close ,i asked you if would want him to go to city just because so many on here recently have sad the would take there kids elsewhere because of the state of things here, anyway good luck to him for the furture .

Thanks fella, ive read some of the comments re our acadamy,most didnt sound to good did they!

Archived