IGNORED

Latest Fifa Rankings

David Brent

The Fifa rankings use a points system that only takes into account the normal ninety minutes and extra time, we didn't lose a single in the matches running up to and during the Euro's, it's purely on results and where the team you beat/drew/lost to are placed within the rankings it has no reflection on performance.

Uruguay 3rd !?!?!?! Am i missng something here?

They most probably play friendlies against their fellow south American countries such as Ecuador, Bolivia etc and won which has seen them rise to where they are. It was the same with USA where they were once above us as they played against teams around them like Canada, Trinidad and Tobago.

They most probably play friendlies against their fellow south American countries such as Ecuador, Bolivia etc and won which has seen them rise to where they are. It was the same with USA where they were once above us as they played against teams around them like Canada, Trinidad and Tobago.

Came fourth in the World Cup two years ago + Copa América champions last year = a jolly good team.

Came fourth in the World Cup two years ago + Copa América champions last year = a jolly good team.

Yep, they are. However, they shouldn't be above Italy, Portugal and Brazil! We shouldn't either.

The ranking system works just about the only way it can. The problem with it is that teams don't play each other often enough to level it out properly like they do in a league. No point moaning about it, nobody can do any better.

Yep, they are. However, they shouldn't be above Italy, Portugal and Brazil! We shouldn't either.

Why on earth not? Results in competitive games and progress in tournaments they've been in together would say otherwise.

Also the Friendlies can throw the rankings around a bit, seems unfair to punish/reward teams who use friendlies to try diffrent tactics, multiple substitutions and bed in youngsters, surely points shouldn't be awarded or lost on that basis, plus teams play more friendlys than others ?

Also the Friendlies can throw the rankings around a bit, seems unfair to punish/reward teams who use friendlies to try diffrent tactics, multiple substitutions and bed in youngsters, surely points shouldn't be awarded or lost on that basis, plus teams play more friendlys than others ?

Friendlies are weighted down in terms of points.

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/procedureandschedule/menprocedure/index.html

England are difficult to beat over 90 mins. Not sure that makes us the 4th best team in the world, we certainly didn't look like it when we played the 12th best team (Italy).

Be interesting to see a table based on tournaments only.

Are you suggesting that the people who compile the ranking have got their numbers wrong?

Oh, and Uruguay beat Italy last November, in Italy.

France beat us at wembley last year but they're still ranked 15th! I just think its ranked the wrong way..

Uruguay have a front 3 of Suarez, Forlan and Cavani - Formiddable!!!!

Solid defence as well.

They have done well in recent tournaments. I can see why they are held in such high regard by FIFA.

it does show Europe's dominance in world football through. 2 South Americans and 8 Europeans in top 10

Uruguay have a front 3 of Suarez, Forlan and Cavani - Formiddable!!!!

Solid defence as well.

They have done well in recent tournaments. I can see why they are held in such high regard by FIFA.

it does show Europe's dominance in world football through. 2 South Americans and 8 Europeans in top 10

All of which I have in my Fifa Ultimate Team! Why am I still so shit at it???

Look at the golf world rankings for example; a certain Mr. Woods is only ranked 4th in the world at the moment but arguably he is actually the current world number one. He's the only player to win three times this year, first in the FedEx Cup standings, and came close at the US Open and The Wells Fargo Championship as well as the Abu Dhabi tournament at the start of the year...

Shows that whatever the sport and whatever other factors influence the rankings, they will never be truly representational.

Surely the rankings are based on who gives the most backhanders to FIFA delegates?

In which case 4th place shows that FA have learnt from the shambles that was the "world cup" allocation / award fiasco and are now prepared to buy their way into FIFA good books like any other FIFA affiliate.....

Well done the FA I say

How would you have the rankings work then?

I would do it something like this.

You get 100 points for wining a friendly, 200 for winning a qualifier and 300 for winning at a major tournament and you get a 1000 for winning a major competition.

Archived