IGNORED

Asia

funky monkey

Parks possible move from man u to qpr got me thinking is there a reason a club like city are not scouting more heavily in asia.

I realise there could be problems with work permits and the language barrier, but fees are normally small and obvious merchandise benefits and the ability of asian players that ive witnessed at recent tournaments make me wonder why we havent.

im sure there are people on her who know alot more about this than i . Any input on the matter would be good.

• Admin

Parks possible move from man u to qpr got me thinking is there a reason a club like city are not scouting more heavily in asia.

I realise there could be problems with work permits and the language barrier, but fees are normally small and obvious merchandise benefits and the ability of asian players that ive witnessed at recent tournaments make me wonder why we havent.

im sure there are people on her who know alot more about this than i . Any input on the matter would be good.

For instance, Man U's new midfielder Shinji Kagawa cost Dortmund just £350k 2 years ago.

The Premier League/FA Cup etc is worshipped across Asia so I suspect it would not be hard to convince a prospect that joining a club one division below that would be a decent career move as even if the club he joined were not promoted, they would undoubtedly be scouted if he performed well.

As you say, the standard of Asian players has improved and if successful over here would almost definitely lead to increased merchandise sales & there could be a long term halo affect of establishing a fan base of sorts in Asia as we would still be classed as an early adopter.

spot on there i was thinking the same. im surprised how a team can be known just from the signing of one player. My example would be when i was on holiday in germany i got talking to these two guys in a bar in berlin. Cant remember where they were from may be switzerland but i told them who i support and told them bristol city. they both knew them because we had the tall bloke on loan from wolves and he played in goal that time. Apparantley it was big news at the time. So my point being imagine if we signed a couple of asian players BLIMEY

The reason we wouldn't is because everyone else already is. Because of the low risk high reward nature of the players working out many clubs are desperate for an asian player to work out. Any asian player who looks half decent will be snapped up. It's the same everywhere really. Young players are cattle. We'd be reduced to buying the Styvars of Asia. Giant giant gambles with limited scouting.

That's why it's so important to be spending money on youth development. And basically, general player development. If we can't get players to adapt and improve there's no point in scouting. We could if we were clever set ourselves up as a players first English club for young foreigners wanting to come here. But we have no record of developing players, so why on earth would they come here?

First of all I have to agree, there is massive talent in Asia. I saw a group of kids playing keepy ups over a vollyball net....for ages. Not bad you might think, but when yo consider they were using a tennis ball and they were about 12 it was an amazing thing to see.

The problems and issues are many, wont go into them, but the killer is work permits/Visas. You will not get round this. So that rules out about 95% of the whole of Asia.

So you have to find that special talent in the remaining 5%, this is more realistic.

Scouts would have a great time in Asia, but it would be completely pointless.

Archived